Thread: Dual ESC,s

Default Dual ESC,s

They say there are no stupid questions...This may be one. Since I am not very electrically inclined yet I have to ask. Is it possible to run a set of identical esc's in parallel to a single motor?

Yeah....Shoulda looked @ what section of the forum I was in first...DUUU. Mr Super Moderator can you move this post out to the mains please.
    Thanks.

Just outa curiosity, my dumb question is what application would call for such a setup?

a high amp draw setup

NO, you can't do that. How do I know?... I asked the exact same question two weeks ago. I wanted to make my two Cuda 80's into a Cuda 160. reason you can't do that, I was told, is because the controllers have to do just that...control something. You can't just use the FETs you have to actualy use the logic in them. Makes sinse.

I was under the impression the controller..Controlled the delivery of current. So I thought 2 120amp esc's delivering 19.2 volts to a single motor @ wot may be possible. I would seem I am mistaken.

Heck Tom, I may be telling you wrong. I just wanted a cheap way to get higher amp ratings. I asked Jay Turner and thats what he told me.. I may be repeating it wrong. Don't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction. Ask Steven, I would trust his answer. :)

It seems to eazy to be true. There has to be some type of problem with feedback or timing I havent considered.

Tom I have read where the German guys have gone something like this. But its way, way beyond my capabilities.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

In theory is sounds simple. There has got to be some type of current issue that needs to be addressed. I will have to do some research. Thanks for the reply.

1. If the controllers do not stay exactly in sync you will see a tremendous amount of current flowing between the controllers that never reaches the motor. The result is POOF!!!

2. If one controller is firing on a-b wires and the other is on b-c wires, then there is no feedback pulse for the controllers to time on.. The result is POOF!!!

IMO, there is no way for the two independant controllers to sync up and fire on the same two wires at the exact same time without some kind of sync comunication between the two..
    Last edited by ReddyWatts; 04-17-2007 at 08:50 PM.

And there you have it. Thank you sir.