Thread: Proboat Apache 24 Rescue Boat

Default Proboat Apache 24 Rescue Boat

Here's a vid of my PB apache rescue boat. Stock motor, stock prop, futaba radio and a traxxas xl-5 waterproofed esc. Everything else is stock. This works a little better than my RIO rescue boat, the steerable outdrive on this helps a lot.

Sorry for the crappy video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pe_zJxAjbw

Here's the rig:

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

I need to build a rig like this!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    I need to build a rig like this!
    $10 home depot!

Use your Rio man, they work as a rescue boat with the rig!
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

well I do have an old SW26 with steerable outdrive that could work very good for this
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

well I do have an old SW26 with steerable outdrive that could work very good for this
    That might work, I wonder if the KV is too high though. Pushing another hull needs some torque though. I thought about putting a rock crawler brushed motor in my apache or rio for some serious torque, but Im not gonna put any money into these things.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

It has the stock brushed 550 motor in it..
    a Crawler motor with a big ass prop could be a sweet setup, kinda like a tug boat
    and those Crawler motors use hardly any amps.. those guys can run like an hour on one pack

It has the stock brushed 550 motor in it..
    a Crawler motor with a big ass prop could be a sweet setup, kinda like a tug boat
    and those Crawler motors use hardly any amps.. those guys can run like an hour on one pack
    Hmmmm, I may have think about following threw with that plan...
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

mine uses a 60T brushed crawler motor on the 12V 40amp proboat ESC direct drive to steerable outdrive. It is very manueverable and quiet. It can do 10 rescues on 1800 mah of 2S battery.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    mine uses a 60T brushed crawler motor on the 12V 40amp proboat ESC direct drive to steerable outdrive. It is very manueverable and quiet. It can do 10 rescues on 1800 mah of 2S battery.
    do you have any pictures of your rig Jesse?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Jesse u think a xl5 with a 55t crawler motor would work? I have the xl5 already in the boat and I can get a 55t real quick from the lhs. I would run a 6c nimh though 3300mah. Not trying to change the esc. That xl5 is a beast still kicking strong with no water cooling going to it.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

your esc will handle the 55t motor real easy

Yes on the XL5 - I wanted the cheapest possible option (my ESC was under $30) and my buddy at the LHS gave me the motor out of Tamiya crawler kit.

and Yes on pics. I just took em as other photos don't get the inside nor bottom. I think the only factory made part is the steerable outdrive... rather custom - but cheeeeeeeeap and super reliable (as long as the battery has juice). I still throw in the fishin pole with padded weight on the end - actually had use it to rescue the barge yesterday when it got 20 feet out and battery died....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Alright sweet. Thanks guys, sounds like something to do over winter.

Nice aviatar brushless...
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

It is made from insulation foam board (get chunks of it for free at lumber yard when they ding a corner in transport). I did epoxy over foam (should have done FG for strength) this renders it absolutely unsinkable! I then extended the booms to 22" with PVC and obviously pool noodle. This was necessary for the 11" wide bay would not hug the long boats well enough (remember the hardware can stick out 5" or so). The cross piece is a chunk of leading edge balsa. The motor has copper coils embedded in thermal paste, thus the shrink wrap. The ESC was getting warm after big pushes, so I added some water cooling to it. Recently lost the lid when I was getting frustrated with a hydro rescue.

Yes, great winter project, when you are not wasting nice days and warm boating.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

What size prop?
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I wanna say 34mm. It was a dollar prop from HK. It has a 4mm hole so you gotta shim for 1/8" shaft. I just got a handful of each and found this to work great.

Its nice to have a slow boat - changes up the pace of the day.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet