Thread: Hex120 mod

Default Hex120 mod

Did some of you already mod a Hex120, watercooled, waterproofed?...
    I just received mine, the second one I order because the first one totaly blew up after a pretty long run half throttle , next time will be WOT, totaly WOT and only WOT
    I ran the first one stock because I found risky and difficult to modify the 3 layers of FET stacked with pieces of aluminium between!!!
    I was thinking of pulling these pieces of aluminium out, replace them by appropriate thickness copper sheet (for better heat transfert) and heat compound with brass or copper tube welded on each side, and then encapsulate the whole thing with silicone instead of shrink wrap?
    Silicone encapsulation certainly avoids air circulation but watercoolong will be there... it will make a good waterproofing and at least avoids (reduce) evantual flames to burn everything around it!!!
    Any idea would be great!
    Emmanuel
    I'm french but I doubt I really am!
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pleindetrucs/

ED Search the swapshop for a thread named Super Cooled Hex 120s. You will get a good idea of how to water cool them. I have done 5 of them now. Have not lost a single one yet

GOT YA!
    That's pretty much what I want to do, my main concern was to make sure each cooling plate that will go between FET's layer, touches correctly the FET's so that it is not necessary to have a ton of thermal compound to transfert heat!!!
    I've been thinking of having beveled plates mounted upside down so that when pushed between two layer they tend to "expand" and get in better contact with FET's!
    I'll use simple plate for outside PCB's and "beveled twins" for intermediary layers.
    Once everything's in place, complete silicon encapsulation for waterproofing, I've used this technic on my Mystery80 and the silicone also permitted to attach the watercooling plate (CPU waterblock style design) on the top of the ESC!
    Emmanuel

Cool

Silicone is not a good product to use on electronics. When most silicones cure they release acetic acid - which can damage the delicate electronics. There are conformal epoxies available that work far better with no risk of damage to the boards.

I am going to start using Loctite 3860. After an extencive search it's what I like best for the price.

I have some conformal coating stuff at home (I was working in this business few years ago) the best coating material are Polyurethane, these are the most resistant in every agressive environement, automotive manufacturer mostly use it.
    I think that's what I'm going to use!
    Emmanuel