Thread: stuffing tube size?

Question stuffing tube size?

right, I can't recall what size brass one uses for a 0.15" flex & liner. its 7/32" for 0.13...does .25" sound right? tia
    rex

K & S 1/4 inch OD.
    I find the teflon sleeve is always a bit of a loose fit but the next size down is too small.
    What I have been looking for is teflon tube with slghtly more wall thickness.
    Graham.

thought that might the size, thanks. mayhap someone ought to list flex+tube sizes in a sticky(hint hint)

7/32 with no liner is great!

I know a lot of guys run the flex cable in the stuffing tube without any teflon liner and have no problem, but as an engineer I can't bring myself to have metal to metal contact.
    Besides in one of my hydros where I tried this I had radio glitching which dissappeared when I went back to a teflon liner. The radio receiver was mounted right over the stuffing tube as there was nowhere else to fit it in.
    Graham.

Graham I am in agreement. I Never set up a boat with out one.

The flex cable-teflon-stuffing tube has a higher frictional coefficient than a flex cable-stuffing tube contact. I tested it manually and with a motor connected to an ammeter. There was a higher current draw due to the higher friction/drag in the teflon set up. Try twisting the two setups yourself. It's easier to turn the flex cable-stuffing tube combination than the one with the teflon liner.

As far as metal-metal contact is concerned? Well, thats how all internal combustion engines work, so I wouldn't be worried as long as you have enough grease. I find that the 0.150 flex cable with the 7/32" stuffing tube also creates a better water seal than using the teflon set up. I found this out when my SV27 used to leak like a sieve and I was forced to redesign the whole drive line.

Honestly, I haven't implemented a teflon-less transformation to all my boats. I am happy with either combination. My guess is that friction my play a larger role in a high rpm/low torque set up like riggers. As they say, "individual results may vary." I think this debate will continue further...