Thread: Aquacraft EP1 GEARS!!!

Default Aquacraft EP1 GEARS!!!

Does anyone know where I can get replacement gears for these outboard motors? I have already blown one set on my twin motor boat. Lucky I bought 3 motors. I'm sure I will strip more gears before I get this boat dialed in.

My only guess would be to call Aquacraft and pick their brains.

Yeah no luck there. The best they could do was send me an entire EP1 free of charge to compensate for the blown gears. Not bad service but damn, why not make the gears? They are still producing the EP1 so why not produce the gears and add it to the list of spare parts already available?

Makes no sense. Its like buying a brand new car but replacement brake pads are not available.

I'm working on getting the guy that made me them before to make me more.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I'm working on getting the guy that made me them before to make me more.
    I would normally move to another brand but these EP1s are the most scale looking so I'm sticking with them. As of right now I have 4 good sets (2 in use) of gears but with the brushless motors I might blow them every so often. I don't mind replacing them but thats impossible if I don't have them.

Steven if you get that worked out I'll instantly buy a bunch just to have on hand.

Reed Eagle uses the ep1 with a brushless motor and hasnt ruined any gears. I will ask him his secret when I talk to him next.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Reed Eagle uses the ep1 with a brushless motor and hasnt ruined any gears. I will ask him his secret when I talk to him next.
    Like a real boat the way to preserve the gears is to not bang them from forward to reverse fast, keep the load down by getting on plane nice and easy and try not to "bark the props" and if you do bring the throttle down before the props re-enter the water.

And most important keep them lubricated well. I think that is the bigger problem with the EP1. I pulled apart a brand new EP1 and there was barely a dab of grease on the gears. I'm working on a solution to that right now.

Actually the bigger problem is that they are made from brass. If they were stainless steal they would be bullet proof. But they went the cheap route. An extra 20 bucks on the motor price would be nothing if the gears lasted.

Is it my imagination or are these the same gears used in the EP1?
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/inf...es/gtx800a.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
    Is it my imagination or are these the same gears used in the EP1?
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/inf...es/gtx800a.JPG
    WOW, it sure does look like them.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by scarabchris View Post
    does anyone know where i can get replacement gears for these outboard motors? I have already blown one set on my twin motor boat. Lucky i bought 3 motors. I'm sure i will strip more gears before i get this boat dialed in.
    good day.
    If you still looking fo gears i had some made and it works fine. Currently running a brushless motor with a 37mm 3 blade prop. Geras last longer. Does have extra. Let me know if any one is intrested. See you tube for motor and boat under"rc zodiac 4.7 ep1.
    Enjoy the day

Yes I would be interested in buying some gears.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
    Yes I would be interested in buying some gears.
    YOU CAN MAIL ME DIRECT AT kobus@polygraphpe.co.za. you can send me your contact detail. i have used the one set for qiut some time now and they still look good. i have used a liitle bit of harder copper sothe gears will last longer. like i have explained i use a bigger prop with a brushless motor and the geras works fine. when iinstalled them i only had to first run them with the motor in water at about half speed with normal gear oil in the gearbox. after i have run it for about 15 min. i cleaned the gears and gearbox and just lub it and since then no problems. hop that help. you can contact me directly on my e mail.
    enjoy the day.

@subaru: DO you still have any gears for sale?
    @ScarabChris: Where did you get those mini evinrude e-tec decals?

thanks!

do any of you guys know if anyone still has gears for sale?