Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roadrash's boat project

Default Roadrash's boat project

Well I got my blackjack and it was in really good shape, then I hit a dock and the hull got damaged, weel I was new at repairs and the hull was repaired and painted half ass, now I am left with a big mess, I got a lot of help am hits am I hope to get a nice looking boat.

When I got it:

Now:

I just ordered the ose rear drive system so I hope that will make a big difference. I also read the area on painting so I hope I have better luck, I rushed it way to much, now I must pay.

do I need to sand all the white and blue off?

No just scuff the hull with 320-400 wet or dry sandpaper to remove the gloss,
    then prime it, I used white primer so your colors are brighter, if your going to paint it black use a dark primer.
    after that drys wet sand again
    with 400-600 then shoot your color coat on and sand between coats w/600 or finer, when done, clear it and sand between coats with 600-800.
    when done with that I sand it down with 2000 useing plenty of water always.
    when thats all done use a 3m polishing compound and polish it with plenty of water again this will give you a nice high gloss finish.
    p.s the blue will come off.
    good luck and take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by G-UNIT View Post
    No just scuff the hull with 320-400 wet or dry sandpaper to remove the gloss,
    then prime it, I used white primer so your colors are brighter, if your going to paint it black use a dark primer.
    after that drys wet sand again
    with 400-600 then shoot your color coat on and sand between coats w/600 or finer, when done, clear it and sand between coats with 600-800.
    when done with that I sand it down with 2000 useing plenty of water always.
    when thats all done use a 3m polishing compound and polish it with plenty of water again this will give you a nice high gloss finish.
    p.s the blue will come off.
    good luck and take your time.

What G said

Should have all my hardware and parts tomarrow

Quote Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
    Should have all my hardware and parts tomarrow
    Awesome! Shes gunna be an entirely new boat.

I got the rudder package from ose do I wand the old top mounting holes in the hull to be in the top or bottom of the rudder?

Use the same holes if possible. elongate if needed and seal well.

I already filled in the bottom holes ready to drill new ones

parts are painted and drying. How do you cut the flex shaft and install a new liner, Also looking for picks of how the strut should be setup

Quote Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
    parts are painted and drying. How do you cut the flex shaft and install a new liner, Also looking for picks of how the strut should be setup
    Dremel w/ a cut off wheel. Give the liner a stretch and you shoudl be able to push it in.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Dremel w/ a cut off wheel. Give the liner a stretch and you shoudl be able to push it in.
    indeed i also like to solder the flexshaft where im going to cut it before i cut to keep the ends from unwinding or fraying

can you solder it just like a battery or wire?

you need either a high power soldering iron at least 40 watts( i would go for more) or what i use a blowtorch. clean and sand the area your gonna solder with anything you have handy like lacquer or paint thinner or nail polish remover even... just get it nice and clean, then i apply some flux, heat it up nice and hot then add your solder. easy

Well not the best paint job but I think its better then what it was, there is some orange peal and puddling but its not bad for my first try. Its better then what it was! I got some mirrir flames for this bad boy.

Do I need to cut the tube down or mount the strut farter out?
    Attached Images Attached Images

well the stuffing tube should slide into the strut... but if its the ose strut/rudder which i think it is it is meant to have 7/32 brass tube to fit. the blackjack uses 1/4 tube which is too big so you will need to cut the stuffing tube back. keep it as close as you can then you can use a piece of shrinkwrap to hold them together snug. i had the same setup on my last cat (1/4 tube to OSE strut/rudder) i actually cut it so close i didnt need the shrinkwrap but i used it anyways.

another thing you can do is after you cut the tube back you can get a small piece of 7/32 brass (about an inch or so) and use it to connect the two. the 7/32 fits snug inside the 1/4 tube and will help keep the strut and tube inline with eachother better if they dont line up perfectly. the only disadvantage to this is your teflon wont slide all the way into the strut, it will stop at the 7/32 but its no biggie really, just lube often

where I would have to cut it starts to angle up, it is not possible to remove the tube ether.

just put the strut up against the transom, then mark the tube where it meets the front of the strut housing. simple. now cut

mark the tube right there and cut

then just put the shrink wrap over it?

Yes. Butt the tube up to the strut and put shrink wrap over the seem to keep them together and inline

should look like this

ok I see, this is coming out better than I thought, I'm going to let the paint settle a little bit more before I start putting other hardware on. I do need to bend a new steering rod, I just got some straight stock. Any picks would help of what other people got.

How do load the pictures so they show up like yours on this sight.

Quote Originally Posted by G-UNIT View Post
    How do load the pictures so they show up like yours on this sight.
    I believe there is an paperclip attachment button in the advanced view of posting replies
    Go Brushless or GO HOME

Quote Originally Posted by syncronized77 View Post
    I believe there is an paperclip attachment button in the advanced view of posting replies
    right you are. or you can scroll down to "manage attachments" and grab the pics you want

I have never setup hardware before so I don't know how it will preform, it seems to be a fudge off or is it right?

You need to put a gap about 1/8" between the prop and strut, loosen the collet nut and pull the prop out to get the space required then retighten the collet nut. when the boat winds out the flex shaft gets shorter, the gap provides for this action, good luck and fun boating.
    G.

Gunit is rite. Other than that it looks good. It may be a c hair off but nothing to worry about. You can get a piece of 7/32 brass about an inch long and slide it in the stuffing tube 1/2 inch and slide the other 1/2 inch into the strut if you want

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast