Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Jack 26 epoxy hatch

Any pics of the one with out scoop?

are you pumping out painted hatchs? im so new to the rc boat hobby and know nothing of painting them.im looking for mostly stock black jack 26 nitro with the black spaid but diffrent colors on the cowl

Quote Originally Posted by foeshizza View Post
    Any pics of the one with out scoop?
    No sorry I do not. I never made one. Theres been zero demand for it so it was not worth making the mold. I can fill a scoop in the current mold and lay one up but there would be finish work to be done where the scoop was. I would fill it using clay, so it would not be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by kronos2 View Post
    are you pumping out painted hatchs? im so new to the rc boat hobby and know nothing of painting them.im looking for mostly stock black jack 26 nitro with the black spaid but diffrent colors on the cowl
    I am and Im a bit behind on them as of right now. And now the weather puting me even further back. As for the nitro scheme, I dont have one so I cant garauntee that the lines will flow properly. And If you change the color, even if you tell me what you used, theres pretty much .1% that what I spray would match what you sprayed.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
    I guess I could try to do it myself, can't ge good at it if you don't try Or how much would a window be?
    Road, is this all you want done? Do you want me to leave the frame white as is?
    Attached Images Attached Images

what do you use to paint them? is it possable to get the windshield clear?

Epoxy on the windshield and PPG base / clear for the blue.

I lay them up in epoxy and cloth so there is no way for a clear windshield. Id suppose if you wanted it clear, it could be modded, cut out, and a piece of lexan heated and bent to shape. But 1 blow over and youd probably knock it out and flood the boat. You could do an interior backing frame and glass it in to help reinforce it, but thats not to say the window itself wouldnt break. Ive actually thought about doing it for myself. I would not offer it for sale as it would be a lot of work and I doubt Id be able to be compensated for it. Besides, like I said, always that possibility of a blow out and then Id have upset customers... not worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Road, is this all you want done? Do you want me to leave the frame white as is?
    ya thats fine, I'll just mask it off. This is really going to make my boat look sweet, is is spring yet? Will the with work if I don't paint that little strip?

Last edited by roadrashracing; 12-14-2010 at 10:57 PM.

thanks for the help

Will the with work if I don't paint that little strip?
    Will the who what if you dont paint what????

Quote Originally Posted by kronos2 View Post
    thanks for the help
    Your welcome. Let me know if you need any more info on painting. I purposely lay these up in epoxy w/ an epoxy topcoat because it a lot easier to get paint to stick to it rather than gelcoat. But either way, its all in the prep before laying the color.
    Last edited by tiqueman; 12-15-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Road rash, clear out your inbox. Your hatch is ready to go out.

Scott, yours is on the table now

Rafael, as you already know, yours went out a couple days ago.

Ahh, I finally feel like Im catching up.

Ive also got an extra one (white) layed up and available, ready to ship.

in box is clear for now

Sorry, I must have been half a sleep, that thin strip around the window, can that stay white or sould you paint it?

money sent

got it today, looks great

I started painting it, I scuffed it with a light sandpaper and wased it with water to clean if off. The first coat I did really light, like a lexon body. There are spots where it is staying white no matter how many times I spray it, I am doing like coats and waiting in between them. It looks like when you dye a rim and the dye does not go where glue is. I am using krylon gloss paint. Should I let it sit over night and wet sand it with 1000 paper and spray it one more time?
    Attached Images Attached Images

got it today, looks great
    Awesome, thanks!

Its doing that because it wasnt sanded enough. I go over it twice w/ 220, twice w/ 320, twice w/ 400 and once w/ 600 before I do my first coat. (all wet sanding) Wipe down and let dry between sandings and you will see the spots you missed or didnt get very well. Thats how I did your windshield. The hardest part is getting in the corners of the frame. If you only lightly scuffed it, it wasnt enough... especially w/ Krylon. Hope that helped.

Well I get to start over, I love painting, it was looking great, I was putting on the last coat of clear tleast I thought, well it was orange paint, well I got to strip it and start over.

Well I get to start over, I love painting, it was looking great, I was putting on the last coat of clear tleast I thought, well it was orange paint, well I got to strip it and start over.
    That hurts.... Thats why a quick blast test spray on something is always a good idea.. not only to check color but to make sure its going to spray correctly and not booger up or anything. If nothing else, you learned something new. Painting often sucks.... the last hatch I did gave me nothing but problems.. stupid stuff. But... you work thru it and if done right, in the end, no one ever knows but you.

it was this close to getting smashed, I will just take a break and re try after christmas.

whats a good paint to use? that will not be hurt by other paint? It turning out just like my hull had, three times till I get it right? Is it easier just to spray the whole thing then mask window areas?

Well, dont take it like its your fault. I hate Krylon paint. I ALWAYS have problems w/ it. HOWEVER, if prepped properly and weather is right, low.. LOW humidity, not too hot, not too cold, Krylon will lay down nicely. Ive actually used Krylon over the epoxy hatch and it did come out very nice. It was on my own personal boat. It was the first time it ever worked on the first try for me. Humidity was very low that day and temp was about 73. I wrote it all down just because I was so happy w/ it.

Let it sit a couple days, then go back to it w/ 320 or 400 grit. Most important thing while painting is take your time. The more you rush and less you prep, the worse it will come out. Sand it a few times. It shouldnt take 10 minutes to prep, it should take 30 or 40. Once you have it sanded very well, mist it w/ a light coat of paint. then let it sit, preferably in the sun, for 10 minutes or so... time it, dont guess it. Then hit another light coat, time it again and then do one more light coat, and time it. Let that one sit 15 minutes and then put a wet coat on. That should make it come out nice. Its how I did my last Krylon job and it looks beautiful. then when your all done, use a GOOD clear. Go to an auto body paint supply and get something from them. Dont get Krylon clear or Duplicolor as they all suk compared to the real thing. Its the difference between "hey that looks nice" and Wow, that is Bad A$$!"

its basment painting now till spring, guess I will go back to rustoleme

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Then when your all done, use a GOOD clear. Go to an auto body paint supply and get something from them. Dont get Krylon clear or Duplicolor as they all suk compared to the real thing. Its the difference between "hey that looks nice" and Wow, that is Bad A$$!"
    Can you get quality clear in a spray can? Or do you have to buy it in a can and use a paint gun or airbrush??

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Can you get quality clear in a spray can? Or do you have to buy it in a can and use a paint gun or airbrush??
    Scotty boy!!!! Speaking of which.. Im clearing yours in 10 minutes.. then I can FINALLY go to bed.....

I hear that U-Poly or something like that works really well. Any reputable auto paint shop can mix you professional clear in a spray can.

its basment painting now till spring, guess I will go back to rustoleme
    Youd probably be even better off w/ duplicolr paints. A lot more variety and more "bling" colors unlike blah rustoleum.

I'm just trying match what I have right now, who makes duplicor paint?

I'm just trying match what I have right now, who makes duplicor paint?
    Dupont. Stick w/ what you have for now. Unless you go to an auto paint supply store and have them color match the krylon, you wont match it w/ any other brand. Just let it sit a few days and cure so it sands better. You dont have to sand it all off. You may even want to re-prep it and hit it w/ a light coat or two of primer. That way incase it is sanded thru the orange here and there, you wont have color variations or have to put on a bunch of coats to make it all the same shade of orange. Plus the primer will tell you if its prepped or not. If it goes down well, the orange will go down well. Let the primer dry 24 hours, then scuff it very well w/ 600 and/ or 1000, then shoot the orange.

Its done and it looks great, thanks for a great product!

After stripping it a few time, I decided I had to get this money off my back. Had to paint the window over, that was all done with brush so its not the best but , this hatch makes the boat look pretty damn good! Is it spring yet?

Brad, that looks fantastic! Its so cool to see one done up other than the factory paint/ white, or the only aftermarket scheme Ive seen... Mine. Congrats on a job well done.

Do you put any kind of locking system on yours or just trust the hatch tape, I hate to roll and have it come flying off, it will get some foam for sure.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast