Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Jack 26 epoxy hatch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Black Jack 26 epoxy hatch

Production to resume after the Holidays
    ONE RAW HATCH IN STOCK

Hey folks. As some have you have seen in the BJ26 forums. Ive made a new hatch. Im still doing a bit of R&D and testing of different materials, but for the most part Ive got it dialed. Heres a couple "test hatches". Basically being, making sure they fit right, are heavy enough but not too heavy and keeping paint on them for the future "painted to match" version.

Im laying them up using West systems epoxy and as a top coat, Adteck Epoxy Top coat, rather than gelcoat. I went that route for two reasons. One, Its easier to get paint to stick to epoxy and two, Ive done some research and it seems the epoxy is much less prone to stress cracks etc as gelcoat will often do.

We (my neighbor and I) ran tonight and beat the heck out of our boats. Pushing them W.O.T. thru every turn and rolling and flipping them as much as possible. Sounds crappy but hey, its for the research. Ive run mine with the new hatch 5 times and my neighbor has run his twice. One thing we did notice is, we use a rescue rig to go get the boat after its capsized. An AC Hammer w/ a pvc attachment. It pushes much better through the water while upside down w/ these hatches. And right side up, IMO, they look 100 times better than the factory hatch. And best of all, no more lost canopys or drivers.

***Painted to match the factory scheme no longer available***

Heres the thread in the BJ forums

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=18307

And heres a few pics

Enjoy,
    Scott

EDIT: You will notice in the first picture, a line going across from side to side and the front of the scoop. I was doing a relief cut line in the first few I layed up to prevent a wrinkle and then realized (last picture) that I didnt have to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tiqueman; 11-30-2012 at 01:18 PM.

DomWilson, Itll go out Wednesday.

Sweeeettt! That thing looks awesome!
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Will you ship to Canada? If so I would like two.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmsask View Post
    Joe
    As long as you pay shipping, I will send them wherever youd like.
    -Scott

Please PM me an address so I can get a shipping quote

Finally got the new frame done. Now to hit it w/ a few coats of wax, pva it and hopefully lay up the new mold tomorrow.

Just got the hatch. THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!
    The glasswork and paint is impeccable! It matches up perfectly.
    Very Impressive work. I highly recommend picking one or two up.
    Check out the pics. Yeah Baby!!!

Thank you very much Tiqueman for this piece of Artwork!
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

You are very welcome. That looks pretty darn good there Mr Wilson! Thanks for the kind words. Im glad the lines all matched up. I was worried about that.

Another quick update, I filled the existing molds air scoop as some people do not like that look. Im going to make a new part, change the windshield frame on it to match the new one and make yet another new mold. So there will be 2 versions available, one with and one without an air scoop.

Left is original mold w/ filled air scoop. Right is newly moddified and fixed plug.

are these for sale and how much interested in a plain white one maybe with the window painted? i live in maple ridge bc canada i.. thanks tim

Mad skills bro!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by tim v View Post
    are these for sale and how much interested in a plain white one maybe with the window painted? i live in maple ridge bc canada i.. thanks tim
    Yes they are for sale. A white hatch is $35.00 plus shipping. Paint would be extra. I would need to know exactly what you want before I quote it.

I will have to get a shipping quote from the PO to Maple Ridge BC. . I just got one for Sask, Annaheim and it was about $15.00. Im leaving town tomorrow evening and will not be back until the 30th. I can lay up a hatch then and have it out w/in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Mad skills bro!
    Thank you

Hey Scott,
    These look amazing! I can't believe how they make the boat look. Great work. I'm going to need a "painted to match" stock version at some point like the one you did from Dom. Might not be till after Christmas though. Let me know when you come up with a price.
    Tom

i might need one of those. painted and shipped to norway :)

Can you paint one of mine for the top BJ in the pic I will be painting the other one this winter so no paint needed for it. It was a Nitro boat now it's brushless (top one).
    Joe
    Last edited by jmsask; 10-28-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: pic's

Quote Originally Posted by tomstoys2 View Post
    Hey Scott,
    These look amazing! I can't believe how they make the boat look. Great work. I'm going to need a "painted to match" stock version at some point like the one you did from Dom. Might not be till after Christmas though. Let me know when you come up with a price.
    Tom
    Thanks Tom. I was wondering if you had seen them yet. Painted versions, once Im ready to release them, will be $70.00 plus shipping. Ive done extensive research to figure out pricing. Other quality hatches painted go from about $65.00 and up. By the time I factor in custom mixed paint, reducer, materials (tape, sandpaper etc.) theres not much left in it for profit. Im just a one man band tryin to make something nice and offer it to fellow boaters. Some may think its steep, those who have painted boats may think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by video200 View Post
    i might need one of those. painted and shipped to norway :)
    PM me an address and I can give you an estimate.

Can you paint one of mine for the top BJ in the pic I will be painting the other one this winter so no paint needed for it. It was a Nitro boat now it's brushless (top one).
    Joe
    If you can give me some dimensions, Im sure I can do it. Did you paint that one like that or is that how the factory Nitro paint comes?

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Thanks Tom. I was wondering if you had seen them yet. Painted versions, once Im ready to release them, will be $70.00 plus shipping. Ive done extensive research to figure out pricing. Other quality hatches painted go from about $65.00 and up. By the time I factor in custom mixed paint, reducer, materials (tape, sandpaper etc.) theres not much left in it for profit. Im just a one man band tryin to make something nice and offer it to fellow boaters. Some may think its steep, those who have painted boats may think otherwise.

PM me an address and I can give you an estimate.

If you can give me some dimensions, Im sure I can do it. Did you paint that one like that or is that how the factory Nitro paint comes?
    It's factory paint I think it's the same on most nitro's. Did you want me to post pic's with a ruler beside it?
    Joe

It's factory paint I think it's the same on most nitro's. Did you want me to post pic's with a ruler beside it?
    Joe
    Joe, looking at it more, what may be even better (or along with measuring it) can you template it and either pdf it to me or snail mail it? Start points for it is one thing, but Id want to make sure I continued the correct curve.

If this one happens, I think Im going to lay it up in gelcoat. Basically paint it in the mold starting w/ a clear gelcoat, then the black and white, then lay it up. Then theres no worry of paint peel.

il pass tiqueman. the kid wil just have to settle for a new original hatch.
    still looks great though. impressive work :)

Looks sweet Scott,,, is there anything in RC's you cant do,,LOL....now if i only owned a BJ,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by video200 View Post
    il pass tiqueman. the kid wil just have to settle for a new original hatch.
    still looks great though. impressive work :)
    No worries Vid. If you change your mind or want a white one, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by HYDROJERRY View Post
    Looks sweet Scott,,, is there anything in RC's you cant do,,LOL....now if i only owned a BJ,,,,
    Yeah... I cant figure out how to make enough money to have it all

Another idea I have is to offer the hatch w/ a bottle of paint that will match so that the customer can paint it themselves. This is not a cheap hatch using cheap materials. Im using the best of the best on these things. If I went time and material Id have to ask a lot more for them. There is not enough profit in one hatch to make another. Especially when it comes to painting them. Its not a 15 minute paint job.

DOH!!! Do you want the canopy red? Forgot about that

Quote Originally Posted by tim v View Post
    Joe
    Will have a few available by the end of the week. You guys still on the "want" list?

I will take the two I asked for both unpainted. I thought it over and I'm going to paint them both this winter. Let me know how much to send you PP and you info and I will pay you.
    Joe

I will take the two I asked for both unpainted. I thought it over and I'm going to paint them both this winter. Let me know how much to send you PP and you info and I will pay you.
    Joe
    You got it Joe. They will be ready by the end of the week. I will PM you w/ your total and info when they are ready.

Thanks

Heres the first part out of the new mold. Window frame is more define and a cleaner line and I angled the back to match up w/ the hull/ deck angle.

There is a good market for Miss Geico hatchs , lol , nice work !
    UL1- 1515 castle/neu / 240 swordfish
    SV27- with UL1 running gear
    33 Delta Force - 1521-1.5D/Neu/ 240 swordfish/4S2P

Quote Originally Posted by scoota View Post
    Yeah I hear they are plastic and people are breaking them.

Quote Originally Posted by scoota View Post
    Gunna have them in a couple weeks. gelcoat colored to match factory hull.

Joe, your hatches are ready to go out tomorrow.

Ed, Your should be ready to ship by the end of the week.

sweet! gettin excited now!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast