Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Miss G Canopy issue

Stand by fellows, Rich @ GET U SUM Inc. is making up a new hatch, stronger and perhaps even nicer looking. I will be checking with him Monday to see when he will be able to ship some of his new hatches.

He posted some questions on this thread for folks to respond to, but I don't know if any of you did, or not. He really knows his stuff from what I have seen, and if he offers us a high quality and none breakable hatch, I will certainly get one.

Most of you know by now that the inner hatch cover (water tight) doesn't float. While a replacement is not expensive, it is a pain to lose one.

I played around with adding some flexible foam on the under side of the inner hatch, then did my usual "tub testing" to see if it would float. It does, and the foam didn't add much weight to the boat. So, now if mine comes off at least I'll still have that piece of the boat.

Boomer

boomer are u crashing that hard? do u tape the clear cover down at all? and the top cover? knock on wood but i havent flipped my geigo yet but know there is a flip in there somwhere lol...i dont spare the tape on the inner and outer cover though
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Hey Ron,
    I have not flipped any of my boats (yet). I am not the one building the replacement hatch. The gentleman who offered to build a replacement hatch, is a manufacturer of high performace RC boats, much larger than these boats, like 5' long. Very cool stuff, so he likes making things that are durable. His name is RICH, not to be confused with Rick (me)

There have been a number of guys on this and another forum that have flipped them and cracked or broken them, some have even lost the inner cover, as it came off and sank.

I have seen photos of some of his boats, and would love to have one, but I don't have that kind of extra storage space or the type vehicle to hull it around.

Taping things done is unforutunately part of the hobby. I have a Genesis and without some clever designing of inner hatch cover, tape it is. To keep them in place I am installing some push lock devise.

I think if Rich makes a new canopy, he may add his own touches to make it better looking. Not sure, but his boats look pretty cool.

Boomer
    Attached Images Attached Images

sounds good man....unfortunitly bigger boats mean bigger money out lays....i like you cant afford em or store em .....

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Hey Ron,
    I have not flipped any of my boats (yet). I am not the one building the replacement hatch. The gentleman who offered to build a replacement hatch, is a manufacturer of high performace RC boats, much larger than these boats, like 5' long. Very cool stuff, so he likes making things that are durable. His name is RICH, not to be confused with Rick (me)

There have been a number of guys on this and another forum that have flipped them and cracked or broken them, some have even lost the inner cover, as it came off and sank.

I have seen photos of some of his boats, and would love to have one, but I don't have that kind of extra storage space or the type vehicle to hull it around.

Taping things done is unforutunately part of the hobby. I have a Genesis and without some clever designing of inner hatch cover, tape it is. To keep them in place I am installing some push lock devise.

I think if Rich makes a new canopy, he may add his own touches to make it better looking. Not sure, but his boats look pretty cool.

Boomer
    No tape needed for me - I created my own hatch lock and it works great! I got so sick of taping the canopy on every run with my other boats so I did this on the MG. I have never been close to flipping her and she is running in the mid-50's with a Leopard 4074 2000kV motor on 4S.

Airman
    Very nice job. What prop are you running with this combo and what ESC? What does the latch look like on the outside of the canopy? Do you think the Leopard 4074 2000kV motor on 4S would do well in a Genesis? One of my Mentors on this forum likes these motors, and have been starting to shop around for one or two.
    One last question, what voltage are your batteries, and what mah rating are they? Your installation is very clean!

Thank you.
    Boomer

ESC looks like the Turnigy 180. Voltage is 14.8, 4S.. probably 2 2S packs in series I would think? Theres a guy in the local club running the 2000 on 4S in the Genesis. It seems to be just under 50. Not sure what his amp draw is but if I remember correctly hes running the same esc.

Not trying to step on your toes Airman... just answering what I can figure out.

I have a couple of new 120A Turnigy ESCs and thought I use one in the Genesis after the factory provided ESC dies. I like to run the boats as they come, then start making changes to improve their performance, but not to the point they are unreliable or too fast for the hulls design to handle.
    I like them to go 40 to 50 if they go faster, I take it but I am good at these speeds.
    Thank you for your info.
    Boomer

Meanwhile, back on the Geico Canopy Farm........
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Meanwhile, back on the Geico Canopy Farm........
    UL1- 1515 castle/neu / 240 swordfish
    SV27- with UL1 running gear
    33 Delta Force - 1521-1.5D/Neu/ 240 swordfish/4S2P

Reinforced mine today with some Carbon/Kevlar also. Seems much stronger and hopefully will handle a spill at "twin" speeds. Put it down with CA and then went back over it with some FG resin for extra strunth.
    FE BOATING: Less like a hobby and more like an addiction!

Looks very nice!

Very nice! I never got the knack of using CA with any cloth type materials.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Thanks! CA I figured would grab the plastic the best. It's a slow and expensive way to put down cloth. Went through a $5 bottle of loctite on the hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat26 View Post
    Reinforced mine today with some Carbon/Kevlar also. Seems much stronger and hopefully will handle a spill at "twin" speeds. Put it down with CA and then went back over it with some FG resin for extra strunth.
    Nice job
    UL1- 1515 castle/neu / 240 swordfish
    SV27- with UL1 running gear
    33 Delta Force - 1521-1.5D/Neu/ 240 swordfish/4S2P

The carbon kevlar looks great. In the middle of doing the same thing. also removeing the scoops to make it look like the turbine version.

One last thing. I also cover over the "scoops" with a thin pc. of carbon fiber. Use medium CA and made them airtight. Two reasons for this, 1, the countour would be too hard to follow with cloth and B, it makes the lid float in case it gets seperated from the boat. Not that I have lost one or anything, cough cough.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Stand by fellows, Rich @ GET U SUM Inc. is making up a new hatch, stronger and perhaps even nicer looking. I will be checking with him Monday to see when he will be able to ship some of his new hatches.

He posted some questions on this thread for folks to respond to, but I don't know if any of you did, or not. He really knows his stuff from what I have seen, and if he offers us a high quality and none breakable hatch, I will certainly get one.

Most of you know by now that the inner hatch cover (water tight) doesn't float. While a replacement is not expensive, it is a pain to lose one.

I played around with adding some flexible foam on the under side of the inner hatch, then did my usual "tub testing" to see if it would float. It does, and the foam didn't add much weight to the boat. So, now if mine comes off at least I'll still have that piece of the boat.

Boomer
    very interested in one of the hatches when avalible. knocked mine off the work bench today and the corner shatered

Rich was hoping others would respond here. I have spoken to him on emails.

Rich, I think FG is fine. Please put me on the list for one.

Others will follow Rich, trust me. This canopy is made like an egg shell, sorry, it's the only major weakness of the whole boat.

Rich also seemed worried that people would not reward him for his efforts. I say the hatch is worth $40-$45 in FG. That is comparing it to the aftermarket hatches for the Mean Machine that are only a cosmetic and taping ease changes, that hatch is $35 at OSE. So a $10 more I don;t think is much to ask for a decent canopy of Glass.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I just talked with Rich @ GET U SUM Inc. regarding his offer to make stronger MG style canopies. He told me has finished the mold for the new MG style canopy. He will be laying up canopies this week with and be offering some custom scoop options: one for the top of the canopy and two reverse vents as another option that would be mounted on the rear area of hatch. He said he can send them to us to install or he can do it. He may have other cool things to customize your boats.

Rich told me that his new hatches will be at least 5 times stronger than the original, and he said if you break it, he'll replace it for free. He advised they will be gel coated in Geico green to match the hull.

He asked all those who are interested to contact him directly for details and to be put on the list. His e-mail rjteam@aol.com

Please don’t use the forum to contact him. He does not want to abuse the OSE forum.

Boomer
    Last edited by Boomer; 11-14-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Note to all from my previous posts. Seeing what a hard time Im having getting the green matched, in either paint or Gelcoat, for now, Im leaving this to Rich. Ive made the mold for the exact replica, but other than producing mine, that may be as far as it gets. Thanks for all the inquiries.
    Look for my other projects soon to come...
    -Scott

hey scott flipped the geigo today finally ...no damage.....was a shade too rough to run fast into the wind now that it has a 1800 motor.....wonder if i need to lift the strut up a shade again.....as its probably only 3 mph faster then a new geigo with a 642 on it.....no heat prob with the 45a esc thoughwe have too many geigos up here now so going to paint the front half a pinkish color and rename it pier 57 like the real boat......as soon as we got all the boats back on shore the wind dies and it gets glassy....figures
    Last edited by ron1950; 11-14-2010 at 10:56 PM.

REF: "GEICO PERFORMANCE CUSTOM HATCH" Thanks for the reply, and interest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are in process of making some of the most detailed parts know in this industry.........

Hulls ranging from 42" Skaters, 45"-55" Scarabs, Cigarette, 62" Apaches, 46" Cats,, 67" Skater, 74" MTI Cat, as well as anything anyone wants made. All hulls are light weight, strong, and are all 100% hand made, NO CHINA hulls here,,,,NOT TO OFFEND,, we are in to custom top of the line fabrication, and NOT into mass production < as you see with Vacuumed formed plastic >

We are NOT apposed to making other Hulls for the Electric Boaters, tell us what you want, as we know NOTHING about them, we are more into large scale, multi engine gas boats.

We do this for the love of it, and our prices we will always keep as minimal as possible, however we will not cut corners.

We will have as many pictures as possible up by Wed-Thursday, on a few OPTIONS to include, on this hatch as we have move it ahead of everything else due to the interest and demand... ( hatch est cost , 40- 45.00 , if there is more orders the cheaper they are to make, as the cost of the molds runs the price up)

Scoops, Rear vents, scale mirrors,, and other options,

If there is a certain scoop, Hatch or Vent you would like send me a picture, as I may have it already , or can make it. Hulls as well, send it to me and we will customize it to your specs,, Please note GET U SUM inc. WILL not copy another hull, and produce as is, without major changes to it, "

There will be the option of real drivers with steering, throttles , with a clear window ( as a package), in the next 2-3 weeks, molding drivers now.., this can always be added, at a later time.......

I like custom work, so the sky is the limit on what I can do... Custom paint, and decals ( mild to wild ), , Dashes , Gauges, throttles, railings,, Swim platforms , Vents,,, you name it we will have it all here shortly, as our business is based on super detailed scale boats, and hardware.

We do not like "plain" we like to do things others do not have to offer!!!!!!!!!!!!

These hatches as well as any of my products will have a warranty , simple,,, if you break it, , ( stepping on it or a wrecking it not covered) ,,,it will not break,,,if it does ship back for a full free replacement,, do not worry will not happen,,,lol)

Please: send me name address phone # and anything special you want to them as I can do all,,,I am making a file now, ( Just for the Geico Performance hatch up grade") the Quan. you would like
    Color? etc.

Standard Geico Green ( as close as possible, as there seems to be a variance on 2 hulls I have here?) , or Gray, Black, White, or Custom painted...

The Hatch ,,,scoops, and I will have a few other items for the boat as well. I have them under way now.

And as always if you want something, or see a picture, or have an idea, we most likely can make it, from Hulls, to parts...

Thanks again,
    Richard and Kele' Jones

GET U SUM inc.
    9434 Sandy Lane
    Manvel, Texas 77578
    Office 281.331.5422
    Mobil 713.705.6733 www.getusuminc.com
    ** THE WEBSITEWILL BE DOWN FOR A FEW WEEKS FOR REPAIRS**

**Looking for a Professional and RELIABLE web site person!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

I'll have to pay Rich a visit and check out the place - just a few minutes from me. NICE!!!
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...01676&t=h&z=19

Come by anytime,

where are you located???

Quote Originally Posted by getusum View Post
    Come by anytime,

where are you located???
    Live in League City, work close to Sugarland. Looks like you're sorta in between.

Default Yup

288 and hwy 6,,, you pass me all the time,,where do you work at...

e-mail ma

rjteam@aol.com

Default update on MG Replacement hatches

I spoke with Rich today regarding the status of his replace hatch. He almost ready to go, but is working on a few custom features he will be offering to enhance the appearance of our boats.

He feels he is going be able to match the color but advised that not all Geicos are the same color. He has two at his shop and there is a slight difference in the two boats color. Albeit slight, it is logical that boat color will vary from batch to batch.

From what he is telling me, his replacement hatches will be very cool. He will let me know more after Thanksgiving.

Boomer

Before the broken Hatch...

Cold day in Canada
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray, mine still cracked last weekend even though it was heavily reinforced.....Just the plastic not the carbon/kevlar.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast