Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Miss G Canopy issue

Default Miss G Canopy issue

I read iin the forum somewhere about people breaking hatches fairly easily and now I am one of those people.

After just 2 runs and flipping it once the canopy is toasted, cracke like an egg.

If I spend $200 on a hull only, I expect it to have a FG cowling.

Who should I deal with for customer support on this issue? HH or RC Planet where I bought it from?

At least it's at the end of the season but, it sucks because if I had the time I was going to lay FG cloth inside it from what I read of others breaking these.

This is a flaw in building material choice or design.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I will admit upon receiving my boat I was very undecided about the canopy strength. I haven't flipped mine yet but I am very sure these weak canopies will crack... Seem to be very thing and with the window in the middle of it very weak.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I read iin the forum somewhere about people breaking hatches fairly easily and now I am one of those people.

After just 2 runs and flipping it once the canopy is toasted, cracke like an egg.

If I spend $200 on a hull only, I expect it to have a FG cowling.

Who should I deal with for customer support on this issue? HH or RC Planet where I bought it from?

At least it's at the end of the season but, it sucks because if I had the time I was going to lay FG cloth inside it from what I read of others breaking these.

This is a flaw in building material choice or design.
    Driver Error, stop listening to people when they tell you to go faster

Like Catamarans' don't flip ever because of cross winds....

Well, it's still in one piece, just fugly cracks. I will maybe get some G10 or the like to place on the inside of the major flat area and then use some FG cloth for the bubble.

Should'nt have to do this, they could have used other types of plastic that are MUCH stronger.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray
    I agree the canopy is a bit brittle. It is injection molded out of a clear material for the see through windshield, but they made it too thin. I have a EKOS and it is even thinner but made out of a different plastic (FRP). I sent you a PM a few min.s ago, check it out let me know if you are interested.
    I think they were concerned with weight, but a little more weight to make that canopy able to withstand a flip or two would make a lot of sense. Perhaps a letter to Horizon Hobbies design team would be well received. Even better if a few of us sent them the same letter.
    I agree, flipping these little buggers, is a part of it. Being what I call a "student driver" can say, I am concerned about this happening, just cause I am not as skilled or practiced at driving this little projectiles.
    I haven't flipped one yet, but believe it is a matter of time before I do. On the other side of this, it is true that the faster you make these boats go, the more likely it will be taking a flight in the near future.
    It happens on the big ones, and they crack or break too!
    Boomer
    PS
    I used contact cement to glue a piece of flexible foam to the inside of my EKOS canopy and when I find some more will do it to my Miss G. It gives the canopy a little more strenght and will help keep it a float if it separates from the hull.
    Last edited by Boomer; 10-28-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo

Was it on stock power?

On stock power I couldn't get mine to flip at all. Even in heavy wind, when I shouldn't have been driving it.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

It was on stock power and the conditions were wavey and windy yesterday.

Probably 6" chop and winds upwards of 25-30 Mph with gusts WAY stronger than that coming from just about every direction. We were flipping our big open monos as well.

I will be adding some glass to the inside of my new hatch, along with some flotation.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I cracked mine almost right off the bat but it was low to mid 50's, so I'm not complaining. They do need glass reinforcement tho. The good thing is the hull has handled several blowovers in that speed range with the weight of 6s and still looks great.
    FE BOATING: Less like a hobby and more like an addiction!

i havent flipped mine yet but on stock power i have seen it raise the nose and ride only on the prop for 6 or 7 feet or so .....i know i have a good flip in me somewhere its just waiting to get out and break the hatch lol...
    have u chatted it up with the horizon guys yet? id like to hear what they have to say about it.....
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Mine flipped at about 30mph because of rough water & wind.

It was a 4 minute race, Limited Spec offshore with BJ motor power, 2x 7.4V 5800's &m445 prop.

I will call them tomorrow. It would be best if they upgraded it to some other material or FG.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Ray
    I agree the canopy is a bit brittle. It is injection molded out of a clear material for the see through windshield, but made it too thin. I have a EKOS and it is even thinner but made out of a different plastic. .
    I have an EKOS hull only too and the canopy is nice FG, not plastic.

IMO a canopy should not be considered a "disposable" part. I have never cracked a canopy through like this ever, FG or plastic. Even ABS handles a flip better.

I have flipped certain boats allot and never had a hull breach like this even @ 50+ mph.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Have you guys ever owned a delta force mono? Those hatches are glass. They also crack up like you wouldn't believe! I'd suggest just reinforcing it. It can't see the factory sending out new hatches because of rollover accidents. I mean, look at your rtr cars and trucks. When you flip them and mess up the lexan, you don't expect the mfg. to send you a new one do you?

I will take it up with HH.

I have DF mono's too, real DF 33 and it has a few cracks in it from stuffing it @ 50+ mph on the canopy only. They aren't that weak and I'd rather have a DF canopy than this.

When I say I cracked a DF mono hatch, I mean stess cracks and it took 3 or 4 good Stuffings @50mph to do that.

This hatchis cracked through like an eggshell, about as thick too.
    Nortavlag Bulc

funny my stiletto has been a submarine at 30 mph and nothing broke on it? lol

Ray,
    As a matter of general interest only, fiberglass is a form of plastic referred to as "FRP" or "fiber reinforced plastic". I spent many years in the plastics industry, so of the few things I know something about, this is one of them. Doesn't really matter, just and FYI
    Boomer

hmm...might be worth me saving my new one to make mold from for future. I would rather vac pull some.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Mine flipped at about 30mph because of rough water & wind.

It was a 4 minute race, Limited Spec offshore with BJ motor power, 2x 7.4V 5800's &m445 prop.

I will call them tomorrow. It would be best if they upgraded it to some other material or FG.

Ray,

I'll be running the same setup at my club races next year. I'm curious to how many mAh you use in a four minute race?

I've been practicing on the club course and pulling nearly 5000mAh for four minutes on BJ power & m445 prop.

Default new canopy

11rcboats01.jpg

should i order a new canopy now or wait? lol love this pic...newpaper guy took it one sat moring on the rez

Awesome pic!

I am relatively new to the EP Boats but I have flipped my MG twice with no issues, I must admit that I tape my lid down every time.......It can be a hassle sometimes but it has rectified that issue for now....We'll see in the future....Any others?

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    11rcboats01.jpg

should i order a new canopy now or wait? lol love this pic...newpaper guy took it one sat moring on the rez
    Man, that is a cool shot!
    FE BOATING: Less like a hobby and more like an addiction!

Default Hatch issue

I am the owner of GET U SUM inc, we build custom boats, fiberglass everything, and I will make the offer

someone send me a hatch, and I will pop a mold off it, and will start laying them up for everyone, let me know a price that is fair....... I can do the mold and NOT cause any damage to the original part as I will make the mold out of urathane.

I need help on something I am looking for a large outboard to pop a mold off of, as I will be using it for a dummy, for some of my customers who want outboards on the 42" Skaters we build

I am also looking for where I an buy the strongest gear box, that wil hold 4 hp, 1 input and 2 output shafts, I know there has to be some out there, as I know the large elect engines will produce that king of power

Do not laugh ut I know absoultly zero on the elect boats.

I have a blank KOS hull I want to get back going , can anyone here help??

Richard 281-331-5422

my e-mil address for pics of what we do,,,rjteam@aol.com
    my website www,getusuminc is down right now for all the new items we will have.

whom ever sends the hatch gets a free one!!!!!!!!!

How long is this boat??

Richard
    rjteam@aol.com
    281-331-5422

Where in tx are you?
    Catching Air!

I have one I can ship to you but, it has a fair number of cracks in it. Some through, some not.

If you look at the top of my canopy, you can't see any cracks unless you slightly twist it.

I'd pay you a few bucks to make me one.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I am just outside of Houston,

I would like you to send me pictures of the hatch you have, to see how much work it will need.

please e-mail to rjteam@aol.com

I have a hatch that will be here tomrrow, I am glad to help everyone out, I should start having them ready in about a week, painted and un painted, please e-mail me @ rjteam@aol.com as I need to know how many to makepricing ???? painted depends onhow many I make as I will paint them to match in deltron, and it will be like glass, or I may choose to gelcote them, that will add weight, asyellow takes more coats to cover,

Let me know if you want one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, sure could use that engine cover, for a 7.5-11cc nitro outboard, soI can make some dummy outboards, if not I will make a plug,,,
    if you can find one complete I will buty it and give you a free cover

Richard
    rjteam@aol.com
    281-331-5422

Sorry I could not help you out but, it was faster to get it within the USA.

I am just laying some Carbon Kevlar into my cracked canopy.

Count me in for one of your hatches, I'd rather have FG than this plastic, repaired or not.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Wink

Ray
    Texas has been one the official states in the USA for a number of years now. Just an FYI
    Boomer

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast