Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Miss G Canopy issue

Cool.

I will try to get a lime green or flourescent Yellow can of Tamiya at a local HS.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray
    I am not sure when I will get to LHH so get 2, 1 for me please if you will find the right color please...
    Thanks
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Cool.

I will try to get a lime green or flourescent Yellow can of Tamiya at a local HS.
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Or this, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...A1&P=**Missing Data**

LIME green, maybe closer????? Maybe not?
    Nortavlag Bulc

I give up, Im not doing painted versions. If you want one, they are 1000 dollars.
    I will have epoxy white hatches out, if theres interest in them, as soon as I lay up 7 BJ hatches and a boat hull. So probably a couple weeks. Ive completely lost interest in painting them. WAAAAAY to much money into getting one to match to what I would feel comfortable shipping to someone. I did one, came out perfect, did I second and I couldnt get it to match, $55.00 of paint later, I gave up and smashed the hatch.

In all honsty, Id love to sell some and make the money, but seriously, buy a new PB hatch, get it home, spend a couple hours and re-infoce it w/ epoxy resin and regular mat and or cloth and call it done. (If you want to keep the Geico green scheme) If you have to buy a whole qt of epoxy to do it, find one of your friends locally who uses it and use some of thiers as its going to cost you over 50 dollars just to get the resin and hardener material in the smallest quantities you can buy them. If you dont know someone, ship me your hatch and for a small fee I will lay it up. Or, like I said above, spend a little less money between 2 ways of shipping, the hatch and my cost to strengthen one, and get the epoxy white one and repaint your boat, or use the color I mentioned earlier, by itself and it will be close but not perfect.

Thx for the effort bud.
    Catching Air!

Has anyone tried either one on their MG? I attached pictures of both colors and one of a MG canopy. What do you think? The lime green appears to be close but not perfert. I am trying to find some of this paint locally, so I can see it first hand and put a dab on the edge of the canopy to see how close it really is. It might work for a minor touch up, but doubt it would work for a major repair.
    Boomer
    Attached Images Attached Images

neither of those colours its more yellow than green, i have looked around abit and pactra have another colour thats dam close but forgot the code , next time i am at the shop i will look ok

I might end up repainting the whole thing eventually anyway.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ok, it looks like were are getting pretty close. I just ordered can of the Tamiya PS-8 Polycarbonate Spray Light Green. It will be interesting to see if it will have the same neon affect.
    As soon as the paint arrives, I will test it and post the results.
    I sure hope this works.

Boomer

The poly carb stuff may not lay down well.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Don't know for sure, but the Tamiya paints, like others I've used, denotes the finish of the paint in the same mannor as other spray paint can suppliers, by way of the can's cap's appearance.
    Satin is less shinny than gloss and flat appears flat, so I am hopeful this is a gloss
    finish.
    We'll know next week
    Boomer

Default Tamiya PS 27 Fluorcent Yellow

Just got back from a trip to my local hobby shop, and can report that Tamiya's PS 27 Fluorcent Yellow is about as close as anything I have seen.

I just sprayed the piece of white plastic that is the support for the lifting tabs on the inside of the canopy with this paint, and it looks like the same color as my canopy. I only sprayed a very light coat to see what I'd get and so far so good. This the same paint used to spray RC trucks from the inside, so it may take a few coats to get the paint to cover and I am thinking spraying it on to a white surface will help get the right affect.

Right now it is outside drying. I will check it in the moring to see how it drys. I think this will work for touch ups, a rock ding or other small scratch. I will know more in the am.

I took the canopy into the store to help match the color. The green paints looked good in thier online photos but not in real life. I attached a picture of the transom of my MG and if the color drys like the can's cap it will be a match.

Boomer
    Last edited by Boomer; 01-31-2011 at 10:38 PM.

here is 2 more for you to look at both are pactra first is pactra 279, next one is from there faskolor line code is 40101

We looked at both of those and they are too yellow. Thanks anyway. The PS 27 is as close I have seen. The can doesn't say gloss or flat, the cap is shinny, but the paint appears to dry flat. Which can be addressed with clear.

For now it will serve as a touch paint for me.

Boomer

have u thought of mixing ur own color maybe add a bit of lime green to the flo yellow ???

Chiefy
    If you review this thread back a ways, you will see that there has been two professionals working on this problem for months, as well as their having spent hundreds dollars of their personal funds to try to match this blasted color.

Both of these fine fellows are very familar with matching paints, one even had outside paint companies try it.

I took my boat to two auto paint stores in my area in the hopes they could match it with no luck.

I have been asking Horizon Hobbies to provide touch up paint for their customers, but all they can tell me it that the color they ordered was Neon Yellow, and that their supplier makes up the paint. No help there either.

I have found a color that will address my needs for a touch up paint for incidential dings that can occur in transporting or beaching my boat, so I am good for now.

If others want to try, that would be nice and I wish them well.

Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Both of these fine fellows are very familar with matching paints, one even had outside paint companies try it.

Boomer
    Both of us tried, numerous, very reputable paint shops. No one can match it.....

thanks for the kind workd Boom

The real Miss Geico had the same issues last season. They just had the whole boat repainted.

TAZ
    There is the answer, if we need a paint job, we just need to contact our local Geico office to let them know. Wish we had of thought of that sooner.

Seriously, wouldn't that be nice to have a rich sponsor!
    Boomer

Actually the sponsor doesnt pay that much. The owner of the team John Haggin had very deep pockets. He retired last year and gave ownership to the Driver, Throttle Man, Crew Chief, Head Rigger and Team Manager. From what I've heard Geico Has had to contribute more since this happened.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567