Thread: 2040 brushless in a mini rio?

Default 2040 brushless in a mini rio?

A relatives mini rio just shattered a brush in the VR3 motor (which wasn't as fast as hoped), and I happen to have a spare 2040 4800kv kicking around.

Will it have enough grunt? This boat runs on either the stock 6 cell pack, or 2s 1300mah lipos. Right now it has a 27mm prop on it, but I've got some other small ones to try as well.

Most boats I've seen have 380 (28mm) motors, but I think the 2040 might work? I've got a "small bolt" that runs a 2040 motor and and 32mm prop, and it's a bigger/heavier boat than the rio.

So, the 4800kv motor was a dud. It got hot running with no load on it, and was really tough to turn over. I put a 3600kv 2040 in it, tried a 27mm prop and it ran well and super cold. Went to a 32mm prop and its even faster, and still comes in no warmer than the ambient air.

Run time on with the 32mm prop is still ~ 5 minutes on a 1300mah 2s lipo, and the pack comes in at about 7.4-7.6v.

If you love your little rio as I did mine, put more floatation in it. And or tape the entire hatch. Do not trust the sub hatches. I did a complete overhaul on mine. Brushless outrunner, micro hrdwr, litle blue black carbon kevlar, custom built motor mounts. She ran incredible. Put a brand new never run 2S 1800 lipo in her, ran even better. Spirolled it and it subbed... big air bubble came up. The hatch came loose and one of the twist on gimmicks floated to the surface. Never did find the boat. sad sad day
    Attached Images Attached Images

tiqueman
    SO SAD!!! You inspired me to do the mods I did to my Mini Rio.
    I would have surely destroyed it with the SuppeBad 3600 KV 50A motor if I had not reinforced it with Fiberglass.
    I too tape the hatch entirly, and I added grease to the twist hatch foam to make a better seal.
    I also loaded the front with closed cell foam.
    I put a 3S, 1600 flight power battery with a 30mm prop ant it was so fast it was almost uncontrollable, but so much fun.
    I put up some HUGE pics in this thread detailing my build, near the bottom of the post:
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=11266

This boat needs to have its balance point about midway between the bow and stern, way fwd of most boats. I just stumbled into it and reinforced the original motor mounts. In my pics, you can barley see the motor, but it is a big one

3s on 3600kv is too much for that small hull... I'd either drop the kV or run 2s.

Perhaps it is too much on a stock hull. I reinforced my with layers of fiberglass, and put in a new stuffing tube and drive line.
    On 2s it is pretty fun, but on 3S with a 30 mm prop, it is a lot more fun.