Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Pump.

Default Water Pump.

Not sure how many people have done tried installing a waterpump in there FE boat. I had to try it my self. Still waiting on a few things before i take it to the lake and test to see how well it cools, But for now the bathtub and sink will have to do. Sorry there is no sound between my ******** cell phone and quicktime = no sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kD7fM6B3Mc
    I believe it's my god-given right, To destroy everything in my sight. Cause it never gets dull, it never gets old. The only thing it gets is more bold. Drinkin', fightin', going to the game. In our world it's a way to stay sane. If you're asking me. To have it my way, I'd say that's One fine day. ---- The Offspring

Cool! I think it will help cool down at a stand still when things normally heat up from lack of water flow.

Where did you get the pump?

I run dual water pickups on my Gasser, one with a pump, one without.

BTW- They make an Rx controlled switch that might be a cool addition.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

Yeah a rx switch would be sweet. I may have to invest in one later on. I dissected a swiffer wet jet lol. I had to pull the needle out, drill a whole the size of the threaded inlets i have on both sides.

Its pretty cool inside it 2 gears that spin and makes water flow somehow. Like an auto siphon.

Beware do not stick your fingers in one. They have hollow needles in them that stab the cork on the bottles! *************** hurts!
    I believe it's my god-given right, To destroy everything in my sight. Cause it never gets dull, it never gets old. The only thing it gets is more bold. Drinkin', fightin', going to the game. In our world it's a way to stay sane. If you're asking me. To have it my way, I'd say that's One fine day. ---- The Offspring

Hmmm. I may try this... I've got the switch too, so it doesn't run while taping up the hatch...

I like dees. I didn't know the swiffer pump worked so well.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

The swiffer pump works great so far still un tested on open water tho. As far as water volume, ive been using an 8oz cup of water with the turn fin sitting in it and it drains the cup in about 10 15 seconds so its got plenty of flow and the water outlet sprays about 8 to 10 inches on 3v. 6v it'll spray about 2 feet.

Ive got a waterproof switch im going to use when i figure out exactly how i want to place everything and make sure the pumps gonna hold up in the long run and not just a week. I dont know for sure whats better, cooling the esc or the motor full time.

Do you have an amp meter to see what it draws? I'm thinking of running it off of a BEC?

That i do not have yet. I wouldn't recommend running it off the bec. Just for fear of killing the esc. I took the pack off the mop to and cut it in half and ran some wires from it to the front of the hull for nose weight. I think a 1s1p 1000mah lipo would run that thing for days.
    Last edited by WrknItUp; 10-10-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Good little pump. What I am going to make but use a nitro tank with ice and it flowsa back in to the tank so it circulates. We already know from other tests this is the way to go to keep heat down in the hot summer. Always good to continue cooling after the boat stops.....gives you more time to hang in the water and play.

I thought about using a nitro tank but the weight of extra water and ice didn't sit well with me. I have everything hidden in the foam in the front of the hull to to make room. I installed my switch tonight so i can turn the pump on after the hulls been taped up so thats a plus. Ive got the motor being cooled off by the second rudder water pickup and the pumps pulling water through the first rudder pickup instead of pushing in case the water pump heats a little. I figure its gonna cool pretty good tho.
    Also down graded to 3AAA batteries in a small round flashlight battery harness for pump power supply. 4.5v does really well.

Got to test the pump today on the blue flat top. It did reallllllllllllllly well. I ran for about 5 mins WOT constant circles. my ESC was 83 degrees. The motor was 105 with out the pump cooling it just a rudder pickup. SO i rearranged my water routs to include both the rudders as an "In line" to the ESC then through the pump and into the motor, Ill see tomorrow if the constant water flow around the motor helps keep it out of the 100 range. Also had to reposition the pump to the rear of the hull. It was running way to wet with the extra 4 ounces of pump and batt weight in the nose.

Setup Dual bj26ss rudders and prop strut with stock composite prop (1.6x2.5) Turnigy 1300kv OutRunner (Thanks FighterCat Excellent Merchandise!!!) a SeaKing 120amp ESC, and two 2s1p 20-30c 5000mah Lipos

Forgot to add the Pond temp was 72 degrees so esc temps were phenomenal running like that!

Well the pumps shot. Ran today for the second and last time. I guess pulling that amount of water for that small period of time was enough. It did really well considering what it was. Still before the pump died water temps were 70 degrees today and esc was about 90 degrees. I ran a little longer a lot harder. Outrunner on 5s was about 120 degrees after a 7 or 8 min run. So Now its back to slick pickups. Well see how much of a difference i get now without the pump running full time.

Nice! (don't forget the outrunners like 15+ degrees of timing)

Oh yeah shes set at like 16 something right now on timing and doing great. Im wondering if itll hold 6s like stated. Maybe with the right prop. Idk i may try to run 6s on a x642 with a 120 seaking. Im thinking its gonna be to much. But yeah back to square one on the water pump! maybe a small irrigation pump for a reptile or something. Any one know of such thing?

Quote Originally Posted by WrknItUp View Post
    Oh yeah shes set at like 16 something right now on timing and doing great. Im wondering if itll hold 6s like stated. Maybe with the right prop. Idk i may try to run 6s on a x642 with a 120 seaking. Im thinking its gonna be to much. But yeah back to square one on the water pump! maybe a small irrigation pump for a reptile or something. Any one know of such thing?
    That motor will take 6s, but remember it's only rated at 1500 watts. The 642 might be a bit too much prop at those RPM... I would FECALC it to be sure you don't go over 1500 watts.

Not exactly sure how to do that at this point in life. Can ya maybe throw me in a direction i can read some stuff and understand the FECALC better? Not sure what it is really. God i feel dumb now. Hell i might know some stuff about it already but just haven't put 2 and 2 together. Who know with me lol. Yeah anyhow gotta website i can read? So far this stuffs more technical then our quads and race bikes to an extent. I know a fuel consumption engine like i know my bed. Ive spent just as much time in both, But the whole electric thing. Im still getting used to electric and water being united. Lol before it was Nitro, mix gas or alcohol.

Not exactly sure how to do that at this point in life. Can ya maybe throw me in a direction i can read some stuff and understand the FECALC better? Not sure what it is really. God i feel dumb now. Hell i might know some stuff about it already but just haven't put 2 and 2 together. Who know with me lol. Yeah anyhow gotta website i can read? So far this stuffs more technical then our quads and race bikes to an extent. I know a fuel consumption engine like i know my bed. Ive spent just as much time in both, But the whole electric thing. Im still getting used to electric and water being united. Lol before it was Nitro, mix gas or alcohol.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ghlight=fecalc

Short answer x440 or smaller on 6s. =)

Volts x kV = RPM (~33k for 6s 1300kV)

Volts x Amps = Watts (22.2v * 67a = 1500w)
    Watts x .00134102209 = Horsepower (roughly)

You basically have a 2hp max outrunner motor that you want to keep under a ~67 amp draw.

Cool huh?

The problem I had when using lake water was that the pump got stuck from small lake debris and would burn up.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Ummmm... Thats amazing. lol im so lost now. i get the rpm factor but amps and watts lost me.

Yeah i think i might have got something stuck in the pump im not sure haven't tore it apart yet. It worked all up untill i got to the house i think lol. I turned it on when i got in to drain the rest of the water from the lines and it ran a second and died. Maybe a chunk of sand in the pump its self. IDK going another route now lol with all the added weight it was hard to get a good COG

grr i cant get any of these FEcalc zips to run on my computer. JUNK THING! sorry my computers is trash worthy.

I never tried it, but I should have put a nitro fuel filter in line to pickup the small stuff in the water.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Okay i got it to run finally! wow talk about some complicated looking stuff. So how do i use this? i dont see my ecs motor or batt packs listed lol or am i just dumb today? a little help please i feel like a deer in headlights! do i move or just stand here and watch?

See the pump i was using was gear driven on the inside. Yeah crazy stuff. like the water just flows through this gear setup and out the other side. I think i have a grain of sand stuck in it. It did good the entire time on the pond. Shut it off as well as the rest of the boat. loaded up came home walked inside went to the sink turned the pump on it ran for a split second and then quit completely. Didnt die slowly or act up it just stopped. No funny smells or anything. It was brandnew. lol noone would donate a swiffer for me to destroy so i had to buy 1. Guess swiffers are good mops. Noone wants to share the ones they have.

Beware guys! DO NOT tare the wifes mop apart! Its like crack to them.

Okay i got it to run finally! wow talk about some complicated looking stuff. So how do i use this? i dont see my ecs motor or batt packs listed lol or am i just dumb today? a little help please i feel like a deer in headlights! do i move or just stand here and watch?
    Yeah, FE Calc is a bit complicated. There is a fecalc.txt file that contains text data. You have to add your equipment's specs to the .txt file.

I have been lucky enough to find people with the specs I have needed and just updated the txt file.

Yeah i see what you mean. Im trying to figure out how to add things now. Wow i think i might let this rest awhile until i can find the smarts in me to understand what the hell is going on here lol. WoW looks like a good program tho. after you finger out how to make it work!

ANyone have an updated version of FECALC with all the specs for todays stuff entered already they would like to share?

Yeah i see what you mean. Im trying to figure out how to add things now. Wow i think i might let this rest awhile until i can find the smarts in me to understand what the hell is going on here lol. WoW looks like a good program tho. after you finger out how to make it work!

ANyone have an updated version of FECALC with all the specs for todays stuff entered already they would like to share?
    That's worthy of it's own thread. =)

I would like to take a second for my self, Thank you thank you!

I have figured it out ha! Now i need to add all my tech stuff to it. BLAH! thats whats gonna kill time.

Ben thanks again for your help!

Looking forward to using the FECALC often.

freshing up this topic. Who else is planning or running a waterpump as part of the cooling setup? am going to try some 6v self -priming cheap ones but maybe for my Freya go for a high quality pump like TCS Micropumps m400 or m200?

There are a couple newer threads about cooling pumps. I use the TCS micro pumps in most of my FE boats now and have bought some of the cheap 6V and 12V pumps off Amazon but only bench tested them.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast