Thread: What motors?

Default What motors?

I just picked up a 42" aeromarine sprint cat from a buddy for free (has minor side hull damage) and was wondering what would be a good motor recommendation for it? want twins in this, preferably outrunner and not overly expensive. or a possible single setup since i have allt he hardware minus a flex cable. the strut is 1/4. buddy had a zenoa in it clocked at 62 and would kind of like to show it up.

better get em' quick... fightercats garage sale on the swap shop has two 4030 1400kv outrunners that would work perfect for you!!! and they work great on 6s... so they are reasonable to get a esc/lipos for !!!!!!!!! HURRY!!!!!! 30 bucks a piece.... you could have got the two esc's he had too... but they look to be already gone

thanks pmd!

Cool

Before you spend money on a "good deal", think about the total cost of the project and the performance you want. Those motors are cheap, but you will need to buy all new hardware, two props, two ESCs, two motor mounts, and more cells. Suddenly those cheap motors are not so cheap. And more importantly, will they give you the performance you want? If not you'll have to buy new motors.....

If it were me I'd go with the single motor option. Then you can spend more on a better quality ESC rather than two cheaper ones. You really need 10S to get the speed you want with reliability. A cheap motor and cells won't get you to 65 mph. You could try one of the Scorpion 4035s and maybe get close to 60 on 10S1P, but exceeding 65 will require 2P and a better motor if you want reliability. For a couple of SAW passes you may be able to prop up enough to get there, but not if you want much run time.

Bottom line - make sure you think this big project through before spending any money, or you'll have to spend some of it twice.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11102&Product_Name=Turni gy_T600_Brushless_Outrunner_for_600_Heli_<BR>(1100 kv)

Reviews don't lie... these motors aren't junk... they are GREAT motors for the money....

and he got the boat free.... I doubt he wants to spend $2000 on a power system.... with these outrunners on a reasonable prop he could run 180 amp turnigy esc's and 6s1p per motor and get GOOD speed..... If you already bought the motors and decide you don't want them now... I WILL BUY THEM... just tell fightercat I will take them... I have Scorpion 4035's... they are great motors... but for the money these outrunner simply CANNOT be beat....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Before you spend money on a "good deal", think about the total cost of the project and the performance you want. Those motors are cheap, but you will need to buy all new hardware, two props, two ESCs, two motor mounts, and more cells. Suddenly those cheap motors are not so cheap. And more importantly, will they give you the performance you want? If not you'll have to buy new motors.....

If it were me I'd go with the single motor option. Then you can spend more on a better quality ESC rather than two cheaper ones. You really need 10S to get the speed you want with reliability. A cheap motor and cells won't get you to 65 mph. You could try one of the Scorpion 4035s and maybe get close to 60 on 10S1P, but exceeding 65 will require 2P and a better motor if you want reliability. For a couple of SAW passes you may be able to prop up enough to get there, but not if you want much run time.

Bottom line - make sure you think this big project through before spending any money, or you'll have to spend some of it twice.

I couldn't agree with Fluid more.

The 4030's are powerful, but IDK about enough to push a 42" twincat at those speeds. They'll push it, but it's going to take a lot of watts for that big hull.

You still have time to change your mind on the motors. They are an easy sell, so no harm done.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

Naaaaahhh. Just sell me the hull and build something else. seriously.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...hlight=turnigy

hes talking about twin motors, and for sporting around with speed...? you guys don't think Two of these will push the 42" hull? If he doesn't want them now I will buy them fighercat....

I use a single 4035/800 scorpion outrunner on my 44" Aeromarine Team America on 10s1p and get 55mph.... and it was a gas layup hull.... I have no doubt two of these would work in my hull too...

Whats your thoughts rum?

another guy on here had ONE of these in a 36" sprintcat and was seeing high 40's before he even got it set up...??

Quote Originally Posted by JMSCARD View Post
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...hlight=turnigy

hes talking about twin motors, and for sporting around with speed...? you guys don't think Two of these will push the 42" hull? If he doesn't want them now I will buy them fighercat....

I use a single 4035/800 scorpion outrunner on my 44" Aeromarine Team America on 10s1p and get 55mph.... and it was a gas layup hull.... I have no doubt two of these would work in my hull too...

Whats your thoughts rum?

another guy on here had ONE of these in a 36" sprintcat and was seeing high 40's before he even got it set up...??
    Not saying they won't, but IDK. Maybe they will.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

Quote Originally Posted by FighterCat57 View Post
    Not saying they won't, but IDK. Maybe they will.
    Well I was just saying if I wanted to build a big boat very reasonably these are what I would try.... these motors have rave reviews, they are comparable (nearly clones) to the scorpion 4025..... in fact the reviews at hobbyking from guys using this motor in 600 class helis say its more powerful then the 4025 scorpion... I am not saying its going to be a SAW boat.... but it would sound awful cool and run nicely on a fairly reasonable cost setup...

$60 for the pair of motors
    $180 pair of 180 seaking esc's
    $140 pair of turnigy 6s 5000mah 30c lipos

$380 for 50-60mph speed.....

Like I say if they go back up for sale I will take them FC.... I will build my own budget twin to see what they are capable of....

Quote Originally Posted by JMSCARD View Post
    Well I was just saying if I wanted to build a big boat very reasonably these are what I would try.... these motors have rave reviews, they are comparable (nearly clones) to the scorpion 4025..... in fact the reviews at hobbyking from guys using this motor in 600 class helis say its more powerful then the 4025 scorpion... I am not saying its going to be a SAW boat.... but it would sound awful cool and run nicely on a fairly reasonable cost setup...

$60 for the pair of motors
    $180 pair of 180 seaking esc's
    $140 pair of turnigy 6s 5000mah 30c lipos

$380 for 50-60mph speed.....

Like I say if they go back up for sale I will take them FC.... I will build my own budget twin to see what they are capable of....
    I shipped them already.

Yeah, they rock. I ordered a bunch of them when I bought them.

Cool

hes talking about twin motors, and for sporting around with speed...? you guys don't think Two of these will push the 42"
    Why don't you read his post more carefully? He said wants to go over 62 mph, and he will not get there with those motors, period. Sure those motors will "push" the hull, but no where near the 65 mph he wants. Stop confusing him......

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Why don't you read his post more carefully? He said wants to go over 62 mph, and he will not get there with those motors, period. Sure those motors will "push" the hull, but no where near the 65 mph he wants. Stop confusing him......

The math agrees. Each motor is max 3k watts, so figure about 5-6hp peak total which is nowhere near enough to push that hull at those speeds.

OT; but how many HP would it take to get there? I know 7hp could get ~50mph, but to hit 65? 10, 12 HP?

I agree with you fluid and Fc.... I guess i was thinking for the new member as I honestly don't think he has any idea of what it would cost tompush that hull with a 62 mph setup.... The only other reasonable route he could try is a lil screamer...but we all know we don't have enough data to say yeh or neh to that idea.... Otherwise a $750 neu 2230, and a $500 hv esc , $800 worth of lipos, etc., just didn't think from his first post about a "given to me hull" that he was ready to drop $2000 on a power system...but I definately could be wrong..... What do you guys think is out there for a power system that could attain his speed goals? Twin 5692's?

Well, I did ship him the 1400kv motors, so perhaps we could help him by calculating what prop, cells and ESC sizes to use without starting a fire?

nah forget it, ill use these in a dif hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Naaaaahhh. Just sell me the hull and build something else. seriously.
    why would i do that?

Quote Originally Posted by FighterCat57 View Post
    The math agrees. Each motor is max 3k watts, so figure about 5-6hp peak total which is nowhere near enough to push that hull at those speeds.

OT; but how many HP would it take to get there? I know 7hp could get ~50mph, but to hit 65? 10, 12 HP?
    isnt hp hp? i mean a zenoah makin 3 pushed it to 62? am i missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by ls1fst98 View Post
    why would i do that?

I myself would try these motors.... you are right hp is hp.... and this would be a lightweight setup..... 6s1p per side with x447's counter rotating with turnigy 180 esc's.... I have been on the edge about buying these motors for a semi large twin myself.... some of these guys think of RACE RACE RACE.... well I wasn't talking about racing it... I figured you were on some type of budget... these two motors will push that hull nicely.... yeh maybe not ready for racing against a neu 2230 but for sporting around showing off what electrics can do I believe it will push that hull to at least at very minimum mid to high 50's..... just do it.... I would..... and it will be a reasonable cost setup....

and for what its worth.... I will buy these motors from you if you don't want to use them...... they are VERY VERY good motors.... they get RAVE reviews by everyone who has used them.... and thats what I go by is what other users say (meaning people who have actually used these motors).....not the specs.... and you are right.... one would think 7hp will push this hull especially with a light setup which this would be as you won't need to run 2p for short runs...

also though one person said you will have to buy 2 sets of hardware, 2 esc's...etc., etc., the esc these motors can use costs 25% of what a quality HV esc would cost... so I guess the two esc's wont be that bad.... comparable to a $300 plus hv esc... and as far as lipos go you can run 6s1p 5000mah per side.....which will be less then what a 2p setup will be for a 10s2p HV setup.... (4) 5s 5000mah batts versus 2 6s batts??

On top of that burn up that HV setup and you will be out a $$$$ HV esc.... burn up a Turnigy 180 and be out $90....

Sorry if I am being a little overboard here..... I just thought this would be a nice sport setup..... and big outrunners sound COOL!!!!!

Oh and on another Note..... Rumdog how are you doing? let me know if you get bored...? I want you to help me on a new build........
    Last edited by JMSCARD; 10-13-2010 at 08:40 PM.

isnt hp hp? i mean a zenoah makin 3 pushed it to 62? am i missing something?
    If a zenoah making 3 pushed it to 62, you, my friend, are set with those outrunners. I don't know the hull, just the math on watts to HP. I was going off of my 57" gas which is 6hp and 50 mph.

I'm putting a pair of them in a 36" cat as soon as the hull get's here.

I really think it would need a full mod Zenoah to hit 60 plus. Not a stocker with 3 hp.

I'd say mid 50's as well with those twin outrunners if set up correctly.

its only a 42inh hull, i saw it do it but i gues i may be mistaken

its only a 42inh hull, i saw it do it but i gues i may be mistaken
    I say give it a try. Worse case it doesn't go fast enough. That's OK, they NEVER do. We all want to go faster... Start with smaller test props and work your way up.

This is very similar to a thread I started this spring wanting to run twin 2200kv castles in a 57" Figher Cat.