Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NUE Power on 4S

Default NUE Power on 4S

Here are pics of the new power installed in the Fountain.

NUE 1512-2D 2550KV
    Seaking 180 ESC
    10ga wire/6mm bulletts
    (2) x Hyperion VX G3 6500 2S
    X442 B/S
    Jerry

Fountain KOS P1, Formula Fastech, 37 Fightercat Daytona CF twin
    Pulled by Slash 4x4 tow vehical

Did you pull it 54 mph behind the Slash?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Did you pull it 54 mph behind the Slash?
    Heck yes I did. And I was taking it easy!

How did it handle? Where was all the water coming from? Looks pretty wet inside.

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    How did it handle? Where was all the water coming from? Looks pretty wet inside.
    Hi Forscott. You can see in the pictures the window on the port side is laying by the motor. I finally got the straight line stability I wanted. Was running faster yesterday but flipping too much.
    I dialed the stinger to zero and made it run a little wet so I lost around 6 mph. but I can run wide open now. virtually no torq roll now with the higher KV motor. I am now working on the turns. Spins out if I run too much servo travel. Maybe I will order those fins now.
    Also, I had to lay another layer of glass inside the hull. It cannot handle the beatings at these speeds. Now the windows are the weakest point. Im sure the 4mm Flex will shred soon too.

Jerry

Good to know. I may add a little epoxy around the windows for sure!

Does this boat have 4mm drive ?
    Prince 25 8XL,Delta force 29 8XL, SV27,Rio 51,Mini Rio,Stock Miss Geico m445,ERBE,Baja 5B SS, Hyper ST, Castle Emaxx.

Yes, the p-1 has a 4mm flex/propshaft

Speaking of the 4mm flex. As I thought would happen, it frayed at the end by the motor. Was unable to repair. I cannot find a replacement anywhere. If I go up to .150, It looks like id need to upgrade the drive. anybody have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

I would say use one from the c-1 cat but its too short. The flex really needs to be soldered to keep it from coming apart. Venom probably doesnt have any parts in stock either.

My flex shaft is too short as it is. Its not long enough to reach the second set of screws on the coupler. Figures!

Yes, Your right. Its already too short. and no parts available yet. I just emailed rcraceboats to see if I can buy a wire setup. I need this thing back on the water asap before winter. Have more tuning to do.

Wire drive, great idea! I have them in my C-1 and love em! Heres a link to the fins I got.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Those look good. How long did it take to get from Hong Kong? The price is right for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JEDNJONES View Post
    Speaking of the 4mm flex. As I thought would happen, it frayed at the end by the motor. Was unable to repair. I cannot find a replacement anywhere. If I go up to .150, It looks like id need to upgrade the drive. anybody have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Jerry
    Jerry, I ended up making my drive into a pretzel!! And I was only running 4s. I took a cable from a .130 flex system, soldered the end, filed it down to fit in the stock drive end. Also was able to use a small piece of teflon as well, up on the motor side. Had to solder and file the coupler side as well.
    Not sure how it's going to work, haven't run it since that conversion. As soon as I do, I will post my results.
    It looks like it will work well, but since it's not much bigger than the stock flex, it might not hold up much better. But I didn't want to have to rebuild the whole drive as of yet. Maybe over the winter.... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
    Jerry, I ended up making my drive into a pretzel!! And I was only running 4s. I took a cable from a .130 flex system, soldered the end, filed it down to fit in the stock drive end. Also was able to use a small piece of teflon as well, up on the motor side. Had to solder and file the coupler side as well.
    Not sure how it's going to work, haven't run it since that conversion. As soon as I do, I will post my results.
    It looks like it will work well, but since it's not much bigger than the stock flex, it might not hold up much better. But I didn't want to have to rebuild the whole drive as of yet. Maybe over the winter.... Lol
    That sounds like another option as well. Thanks for letting me know. I am trying to find the correct wire drive parts to order but, im having a hard time finding the longer cable length...so, .130 may be another choice.
    Jerry

I'm working on getting a wire drive for the p-1 as well. Same drive as the ekos, just longer wire. And Jeff has the 5mm to .062 couplers.

I'm working on getting a wire drive for the p-1 as well. Same drive as the ekos, just longer wire. And Jeff has the 5mm to .062 couplers.
    When you figure out what parts to order, please let me know.
    Thanks

54 mph is mighty fast on 4s. You have that boat dialed in

Thanks. She runs pretty good but, its down for awhile. The 4mm cable didnt hold up. I heard your building a cat to run next year at the Northern MI RC Kilo runs...is that true?
    Had fun runnin with ya this year at the mini poker run.
    Jerry

Ya, I don't think they had us in mind when they opted for 1/8" flex... I bet Jeff could make a .150 flex that stepped down to 4mm for the strut, or wire drive, I am sure he could do 4mm on that. I would feel better about .078" wire, as I have snapped the .062 before on high power/load situations. You could even go .098 for some beef - as long as your tube is low curve.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Yea, Ive emailed Jeff my specs and hes supposed to put somthing together for me. Ive just missed out on running it the last 3 weeks. The .150 / 4mm sounds like a good idea. I am not opposed to a whole new flex/stinger/rudder system. If I can find somthing that looks scale. I need somthing before my lake freezes too.

I just got .062 wire drive w/4mm shaft and an octura 5mm to .062 hex collet for the p-1. .062 wire has held up so far on my ekos running x442 props, so I would think it would be ok on the p-1 as well.

Keep in mind that the power systems in twins work much less than single motor set ups. It could be a good set up though. I will be interested to see how you like it.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I just figured its turning the same prop, and at less rpm than my ekos. I would have ordered larger wire, but I don't think .078 wire fits in a 4mm shaft. We'll see if it stays together!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just got .062 wire drive w/4mm shaft and an octura 5mm to .062 hex collet for the p-1. .062 wire has held up so far on my ekos running x442 props, so I would think it would be ok on the p-1 as well.
    Where did you get a longer wire setup for the P1 Scott? You only sold your hatch, Not your whole boat right?

I just figured its turning the same prop, and at less rpm than my ekos. I would have ordered larger wire, but I don't think .078 wire fits in a 4mm shaft. We'll see if it stays together!!
    well, .125" flex fits, so .078" wire would have to. If you stay with 42mm and smaller props, you probably be fine. Might run some plastic props at first.

Actually, I broke mine because I was not absolutely in line motor-stuffing and was invoking a bit of a pressure point.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    well, .125" flex fits, so .078" wire would have to. If you stay with 42mm and smaller props, you probably be fine. Might run some plastic props at first.

Actually, I broke mine because I was not absolutely in line motor-stuffing and was invoking a bit of a pressure point.
    Jesse, Do you have anything laying around that would get my boat back in the water?

Quote Originally Posted by JEDNJONES View Post
    Where did you get a longer wire setup for the P1 Scott? You only sold your hatch, Not your whole boat right?
    Jeff Wholt @ rcraceboat.com. You have to send him a PM to get the longer length wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post

Mine lines up horribly as well. Been trying to shim and grind the mount to straighten it and lower it at the same time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast