Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rudder to Strutter conversion

i got mine done yesterday looking to take it out this afternoon if the wife lets me go to the pond... wedding planning is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I got some today. I should have got 10, but I ended up with 9 and one of them was missing the screws. I have 40 more on order. I hope to have those Tuesday.
    One thing. The screws are not 4-40's. I have to check the hardware store to see what they are.
    If Octura, most likely 5-40
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    If Octura, most likely 5-40
    5-40?? They actually MAKE that??
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Yes, believe it or not, they do make 5-40.

Darin,

Are you going to chime in over at the Miss G canopy thread?

Ding, Ding, Ding. Give that man a twinkie! Its a 5-40. I'm putting an order in for some now.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

tks steven
    THUNDER TIGER OUTLAW,THUNDER TIGER BANDIT
    CARBON FIBER MINICAT HYDRO,MINICAT HYDRO,PROBOAT MISS GEICO,SKUNKWORKS 32" CAT TWIN, H@M VIPER TURBINE ---JEFF WOHLT WIRE DRIVES

I figured out the 5-40 long ago when I had an octura turn fin with a bolt I could not find a nut for until I tried a .125 stub prop nut and it worked. Bastards!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by tman52804 View Post
    Darin,

Are you going to chime in over at the Miss G canopy thread?
    No...

Hahahaha....

anyone know what size the origenal rudder bolts were? i used those and they seemed to hold right up in there....

btw.. what is the hull made of anyway? plastic or fiberglass? sure is light compared to the stiletto tugboat i have
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Default Fiberglass is plastic

Just and FYI, there are many forms and types of plastic, one of which is fiberglass, which is more correctly referred to as FRP or Fiber reinforced Plastic which falls into a category of plastics called thermosets. Does make much difference, just and FYI
    Boomer

wow, what a difference after the conversion! no more wawa...it doesn't seem to handle as well though in my opinion but that may be because i was able to carry more speed through the turns. either way it's the best 5 bucks I've ever spent lol

i still have the wa waw wa but it is not bouncing as much. either way i agree best five bucks..

Default I am curious as what is different with tacticretreats boat?

Ok, there has to be something you guys are doing differently. How about each of you gents taking some pictures of your set ups that show us the battery locations, shaft angle, prop type, battery types etc.

I just got the Octura spacers and will be running some test in a week or so. I'd appreciate you and others who have resolved the high end porpoise rutine sharing pictures of their set ups too.

I know it can be done, I have seen several videos of MGs running in the high 40s or better with no bounce.

Thanks guys
    Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Ok, there has to be something you guys are doing differently. How about each of you gents taking some pictures of your set ups that show us the battery locations, shaft angle, prop type, battery types etc.

Thanks guys
    Boomer
    Boomer,
    I still have a very tiny amount, but it all depends on the conditions. It's pratically gone for me on 4s. When I run 5s, only the prop is in the water, so there is none.
    I found with a smaller prop, 42mm and such, it bounces. I'm running a x447, run super smooth.
    My batteries on 4s I have two of the 5200 40c carbons from team orion. When I run 5s, I'm running 2 5s in parallel, for a total of 6600 Mah. They are Hyperion 5s 3300 Mah 35c batteries. Totally rocks with that setup. I'm close 47mph with the Hyperions.
    38 with 4s setup.
    I always have the boat balanced out, 9" from the transom. Sometimes to make it fly nice I have it a bit tail heavy
    hope this helps

Steve
    Got them, thanks you!!

Hobie
    It all helps. Thank you

i see kintecracing.com is selling that offset rudder bracket now.....
    http://www.kintecracing.com/Miss_Geico_Upgrades.html
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Default off set rudder

My friend and I broke down and have just done the Kintec off set rudder mod, went right on with no issues. We plan to run both tomorrow and see how they do. Will let you know.

Stringfly <>++++
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default No bouncy

Ran both Geicos yesteday with off set rudder mod. Both ran with NO BOUNCING WA WA. Rough and windy at first but water finally got smoother. No bouncing, wa wa in rough or smooth water. Both just running 4s 5000 packs. Packs were 1/2 inch past rear of stock battery trays. Im running X642 and other I believe was a X640.

Stringfly <>+++++

How do u reverse the servo for the steering?

Quote Originally Posted by POWERS View Post
    How do u reverse the servo for the steering?
    Just reverse the steering switch on your transmitter. That worked for me.

Yep... just hit the reverse switch on trans..

Stringfly <>++++

Can't wait, just picked up a Geico which should arrive tomorrow!! I ordered the kintec offset bracket which looks like it stops the porpoise.

Have a question for some owners though. I see that some have moved the packs back which helps. Have people tried raising the strut in order to air it out more? I am thinking this might also help with the problem. I would think the prop shaft would have to be slightly above the last step. Porpoising in tunnels or cats is a problem with weight distribution and/ or a lack of airing out the boat and letting it fly. Have a Octura X642 and V940 cleaver on the way. I am hoping the V940 is a winner, I think it just might give it the transom lift it needs. Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

I will say this. Be careful with the v940. That is alot of pitch and might smoke the factory esc. The x642 on the other hand will work well. No worries.
    FE BOATING: Less like a hobby and more like an addiction!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat26 View Post
    I will say this. Be careful with the v940. That is alot of pitch and might smoke the factory esc. The x642 on the other hand will work well. No worries.
    Thanks for the reply. Was wondering about the pitch on v940, it is an aggressive prop. If it runs well and smokes the esc, I will just put in my 120 seaking. Do not want to have to do that though. I think I'll start with the x642 and save the v940 for when I upgrade the esc down the road. Do you think the motor can handle the v940?

In my experience, the V-Series props are rigger-only props...

But... it might work... let us know...

Thats what I gathered but figured it's worth a shot. I probably shouldn't be applying my boat experiences to rc's but can't help it. I'm a newbie and still learning.

Should get the prop next week along with my gps, will report back no doubt.

On a side note, Thanks Darin for designing this boat! When I heard it was coming out I knew it would be just a matter of time before I got my hands on one!

I cant get the bounce outta mine. Offset w/ the Octura parts... batts from as far forward to as far back.. strut adjustments at about every place I could get it... always bounces. I have to say the bounce has nothing at all to do w/ the inline rudder. It has to do w/ balances, the way your prop is tuned etc.

However.. turning it now... it holds all its speed.

Did you move the rudder closer to the transom when offseting it?

Check! As you can see I ended w/ the strut way up. With the stock set up, it seemed best w/ the top of the strut level w/ the top of the bracket. Still bounced, but not bad. Once offset it bounced more in that position.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast