Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rudder to Strutter conversion

Default Rudder to Strutter conversion

That's really nicely done. Same idea I did this weekend. Great minds, and all that...

One thing I would recommend, however, is that you allow the standoffs to NOT pass through the strut bracket, and instead, sandwich the spacers (I'd make them out of metal) between the two halves of the strut bracket. This turns it into an "I-Beam" arrangement, making the bracket much stiffer. Might not work as well with the thin standoffs you used, due to their narrow mounting base, but with the larger ones I used, it's rock solid, and the strut brackets don't flex at all.

Either way, it's a good upgrade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

@Darin
    We will have to agree to disagree on this one Darin. I preffer this method over the "butt joint" attachment. I've been running this mod since I got the boat, it's worked perfectly and is rock solid... It's just a copy of an Octura Strutter...
    C-Ya on the Lake...
    ~~~~~~~~***-
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by igottalongone View Post
    @Darin
    We will have to agree to disagree on this one Darin. I preffer this method over the "butt joint" attachment. I've been running this mod since I got the boat, it's worked perfectly and is rock solid... It's just a copy of an Octura Strutter...
    C-Ya on the Lake...
    ~~~~~~~~***-
    Ron
    Just a recommendation... yours is just relying on one side of the bracket for torsional rigidity, mine uses both brackets and turns it into an I-Beam. Either will work.

Actually with my union, the more load, the stronger it gets...
    Both ways are plenty strong, not counting Turtles and Driftwood...
    ~~~~~~~***-

Darin, igot, how far over did you move your rudder? 1, 2 inch?

ok darin .now that u have solved the bounce in the mg lets get on with the racing duck prep thread....lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Here are some pictures of the rudder mod I did last week.

Well, I took my Cat out on Sunday and NO MORE BOUNCING! all gone! I offset the rudder to the right hand side using Octura offset rudder mounts ( two of them, one for each bolt ) moved the rudder arm to the other side and everything fit Great! Cut a piece of plastic to take up the thickness of the original rudder mount so when you tighten the screws for the Octura standoffs you do not collapse the strut brackets. The only thing I had to do was to slot the holes for the rudder arm. The cat runs much better! faster in the corners and also in the straights! You have to do this! It is worth it for the extra speed you get!

Quote Originally Posted by jac4412 View Post
    Darin, igot, how far over did you move your rudder? 1, 2 inch?
    My Spacers are 1.625" long... I also moved the rudder forward a bit, to get the leading edge up closer to being inline with the drive dog, and out of the thrust cone of larger props, and also allows the stock steering linkage to be utilized.

i like the octura ready to use offset spacers but cant find any on the net anywhere? anyone know wher i can find a couple of em? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 7500RPM View Post
    Here are some pictures of the rudder mod I did last week.

Well, I took my Cat out on Sunday and NO MORE BOUNCING! all gone! I offset the rudder to the right hand side using Octura offset rudder mounts
    Can you elaborate on how long those Octura Spacers are??

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    i like the octura ready to use offset spacers but cant find any on the net anywhere? anyone know wher i can find a couple of em? thanks
    I have them, but for some reason they disappeared off the site. Probably because they never sold. I have to look for them tonight.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I have them, but for some reason they disappeared off the site. Probably because they never sold. I have to look for them tonight.
    That would be cool... Let us know.

Also, I was looking at both methods for doing this conversion. It might be advisable, either method, to use a brass, or otherwise "sheerable" fastener on the rudder side, lower mount. Should hold just as strong, but will let go and save the transom in the event of a turtle or other object.

hey steve ill take 2 octurea spacers if u can find em.....pm me a price or whatever if u find em thanks

I like those octura spacers, they look sweet.

I can't believe how high everyone's strut is. Mine is flush and runs great. When I had mine that high it did a dance.

Quote Originally Posted by tman52804 View Post
    I like those octura spacers, they look sweet.

I can't believe how high everyone's strut is. Mine is flush and runs great. When I had mine that high it did a dance.

It's dependent some on what type of prop you are running. The lower the strut, the more, in general, it pushes the nose down. However, if you have a high lifting prop, then you may need to raise the strut to keep it from pushing the nose down too much, or lifting the back too much. The opposite can be said for low-lift props.

Also, as you go larger in prop diameter, you may need to raise it up as well to get the prop to run freely.

It's a balancing act, which is why there isn't always a clear answer to the question "Which prop is best"...

I'm running an x642

Couldn't one still use a nylon bolt it the lower hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    That would be cool... Let us know.

Also, I was looking at both methods for doing this conversion. It might be advisable, either method, to use a brass, or otherwise "sheerable" fastener on the rudder side, lower mount. Should hold just as strong, but will let go and save the transom in the event of a turtle or other object.

Quote Originally Posted by tman52804 View Post
    Couldn't one still use a nylon bolt it the lower hole?
    That's what I was thinking, or a brass one (maybe better)... that's how SpeedMaster and others do it, and it works... saves the transom in the event of a harsh contact...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    hey steve ill take 2 octurea spacers if u can find em.....pm me a price or whatever if u find em thanks
    I'll work on getting them back on the site and pricing. I also ordered another 10 of them today.
    Steven Vaccaro

Here is the part number for the standoffs..
    Just change the screws to stainless 4/40, as the black ones will rust slightly in the socket heads
    Make sure you use longer ones so you have enough to grab the post as you are going
    thru both strut brackets and your plastic spacer. The Offset Bracket is threaded all the way. See pictures above, Post #8

ya steve I'd be interested in a couple of those as well.

steve is my last chance i cant find it anywhere on the net useing the part number.....

Here they are.
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=oct-oc4off
    I have 6 of them, but ordered more.
    Steven Vaccaro

Darin did you just use a solid aluminum plate for your spacer? What width did you use? (I don't have my MG at school so I cant measure)

Quote Originally Posted by jac4412 View Post
    Darin did you just use a solid aluminum plate for your spacer? What width did you use? (I don't have my MG at school so I cant measure)
    If you look carefully at my Race Prep thread here, you'll see that I cut a piece off of the foward end of the rudder bracket. I used that piece for the spacer. I was able to do this because I made new holes in the rudder bracket to move the rudder forward, and out of the thrust cone of the prop.

How long are the Octura standoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Here they are.
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=oct-oc4off
    I have 6 of them, but ordered more.
    and there gone.....chuckle. People move fast on this site...

water was finally good today for running the mg.....new 642 from chuck and liner programed into esc.....boat ran outstanding...no heat problems etc.....no bounce downwind then into a 5mph wind it would fly the nose and bounce a little but was flying across the water......will try the batteries a few inches more forward on the battery trays next time....i will do the rudder conversion as today was the frist time i really noticed that the rudder really slows the boat in a turn.....love this boat....the stiletto on the other hand ...mmmm not so sure lol

Default OC40OF Off Set Brackets

Hi Steve
    Just checked the site, it shows 0 stock, but I still would like to order a pair or set of the OC40OF Octura Off Set Brackets for my Miss G. If you have the Stainless 4/40 screws (slightly longer than the originals) to replace the black ones that will rust, please include them too.
    Boomer.

Good work guys!
    Last edited by Boomer; 10-07-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: stock level note

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast