Thread: All about the roost!

Default All about the roost!

Looking to change my prop for something that will throw up the biggest rooster tail. Not really looking for speed as we are limited in space but I am interested in throwing up the biggest rooster tail possible and splashing on lookers as I buzz by them. :) Any suggestions? Motor and esc are stock but I've added extra cooling to the motor. Running 2S Lipo.

A CF45 would throw a big tail, so will a CF48 but (WATCH) the temps on the 48 cause things can get out of hand fast. I would do the CF45. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...t=Carbon+Props
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vega View Post
    Looking to change my prop for something that will throw up the biggest rooster tail.
    You'll want to use a prop that has pointed tips, and has the trailing edge as close to 90-degrees to the hub as possible... This will throw the water off of the tips of the prop as lift, as opposed to throwing it aft, in the form of thrust.

Rounded tips with a flat trailing edge can work as well, as long as there isn't any spooning or cupping in them.

The Prather series of props, such as the 225 or 230, etc., would do it, as would the carbon props mentioned.

Have fun!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

i use a x440/2 and it throws up a pretty good tail. i would say a good 5 or 6 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vega View Post
    I am interested in throwing up the biggest rooster tail possible and splashing on lookers as I buzz by them.
    I hope your kidding when you say you want to splash on lookers. Not only does it cast a bad image for model boaters. There is the risk of an accident, injury and a lawsuit. Even if your doing it to your buddies.

Besides that....."You'll put your eye out kid!"
    Last edited by Chilli; 09-29-2010 at 07:21 PM.

I run the CF45 on 4s. Check out my vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKPDOj7hFGg At about 1:10 in the video is pretty much the peak tail. Lot of fun this prop, run for about 4 to 5 minutes.

This is one of my SV's running a S220
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

The bigger the roost the less efficient you set up is.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    The bigger the roost the less efficient you set up is.
    I do not agree with that
    most of my fastest passes have had the biggest roost!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    I hope your kidding when you say you want to splash on lookers. Not only does it cast a bad image for model boaters. There is the risk of an accident, injury and a lawsuit. Even if your doing it to your buddies.

Besides that....."You'll put your eye out kid!"

I always soak myself an others with a close to shore "buzz"
    never lost an eye yet!

Tone

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    i use a x440/2 and it throws up a pretty good tail. i would say a good 5 or 6 ft

I'm using the same prop an its easy 5-6!
    Tone

Prather 225 back cut and severely detongued. Angle the strut or stinger up a couple of degrees from neutral.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12