Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crossing the brand name line

Just installed a ul-1 motor in one of my stilletto outboards. Motor and mount holes are a tad off. Start all 4 screws, and alternate tightening them a few turn each until tight. It fits, just a little snug! Also picked up some hyperformance flex cables that look much better and straighter than the stockers. Slightly longer than stock, so the motor coupler has to slide all the way up the motor shaft. It looks like a good fit as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    I was considering those too. I thought I read somewhere that they were actually less than 1800kv. Plus I had issues with the endbell coming loose on my old sv, so I decided against them. Thanks for the info on the sale though!!
    If I remember correctly it was Darrin that tested these and he said they were in the 1500kv range. That's probably why these things can swing a good sized prop.

Yah, its actually posted that way in the ose store.

i got the new motor and as usuall the holes dont line up on the ul-1 motor tryed all the different combos....so its held in with only 2 bolts ...hope it holds lol.....any suggestions? read forscott's thread about being a little off but mine seemed a lot off
    Last edited by ron1950; 11-01-2010 at 06:14 PM.
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Hmmm... mine llined right up, no issues...
    ...but 2 bolts are all I ever use
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

cool glad to hear it...did all 4 line up? i tryed it every way i could and only 2 holes ever got even close to lining up......

Just a perspective, do you use all four bolt holes when you mount your motor in a cat, hydro, or Vee?
    Only 2 ever line up for me, I have really never tried to use all 4. I don't remember if the stock motor used all 4 holes or not.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

sounds good to me diego.....only use 2 screews in my tc-5 car motors so guess we are good to go...i dont have the experence u do at all in boats

I really can't remember how many screws were holding the stock motor. Can anyone remember how many?

Stock is 4, other motors are 2 screws.

wonder why everyone says just bolt it right to the stock mount....i know i am too dumb to figure it out only got 2 screws to line up lol

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    wonder why everyone says just bolt it right to the stock mount....i know i am too dumb to figure it out only got 2 screws to line up lol
    Some motors don't have a symmetrical bolt patterns. Not sure about the AQ motor.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Because it does, with only 2 bolts...

yeaaaaaah i am smart again ...lol...thanks gp

i am sooooo impressed with the ul-1 motor in the stiletto.....it litterly flys now.....rides on last 2 inches of sponsons and prop...still need to tune the nose down slightly but wow what a rush now compared to the stock motor.....

i am sooooo impressed with the ul-1 motor in the stiletto.....it litterly flys now.....rides on last 2 inches of sponsons and prop...still need to tune the nose down slightly but wow what a rush now compared to the stock motor.....
    Sweet..
    what prop are you running?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

i think its a x 640 detounged i got it from a friend and it had 38 written on the blade so thinking its 38 cm or mm whatever it is lol now? not sure but i know it works lol
    Last edited by ron1950; 11-27-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Just curious if anyone has thought of running a ammo 2600 in this on 3s/4s setups with a smaller diameter prop of course, like a x437/3. Just wondering. I'm really interested in this boat... Never owned a tunnel, but when I do this would be it. Also curious on how this stacks up against the UL-1 power VS1's with this running ul1 gear of course. Just wondering.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

pick up a stiletto and a vs-1 and see the difference in weight.....all things considered id go vs-1 if i had it to do again.....never tryed any other motor then the ul-1 in my stiletto.....it runs well now but still not into the 40's ....think i need to adjust the motor angle again and maybe a new prop as it runs very cool now with the 640

pick up a stiletto and a vs-1 and see the difference in weight.....all things considered id go vs-1 if i had it to do again.....never tryed any other motor then the ul-1 in my stiletto.....it runs well now but still not into the 40's ....think i need to adjust the motor angle again and maybe a new prop as it runs very cool now with the 640
    I guess you mean the Stiletto is a lot heavier? Maybe higher KV like the ammo isn't the answer, you think maybe a BJ motor on 4s/5s with a bigger prop may help?!? Like I said I'm really eyeing this up. I love the BND idea.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    I guess you mean the Stiletto is a lot heavier? Maybe higher KV like the ammo isn't the answer, you think maybe a BJ motor on 4s/5s with a bigger prop may help?!? Like I said I'm really eyeing this up. I love the BND idea.
    Yes, I've tried a Feigao 11L (2300Kv) and I didn't see a great improvement in speed, that was with a x437/3. But I did see smoke coming out of the stock ESC and later a Suppo 70A...

I've also tried a Turnigy 500 1800Kv outrunnner with the same prop and it was better than the Feigao.

I would stick to the stock 1800Kv or Ul-1 and play with the prop size/pitch as suggested by Darin. I'm wondering if the Y537/3 is worth a try too.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    DING-DING-DING-DING...

If you guys have paid any attention at all to what I've been saying, and also to my MG testing EagleTree Data... you'll see that simply going up in KV isn't the answer... You go up in KV, but leave motor dimensions the same, you are gaining RPM at the expense of torque. The end result is about the same amount of power, laid down in a different manner.

I have solid data showing a STOCK motored MG racing in the 45-47mph range. It's done with prop and setup. Going to a 2030KV UL-1 motor on a 6+ lbs boat (STLO) and having to run a tiny prop to keep it from overheating is the wrong direction. The stock MG 1500 motor with a 42-25mm prop with around 4.0" of pitch (last .250 or so of the blade) will have this boat flying, and not overamping it. Will have more grunt out of the turns, and through the turns. Setup will be a little more critical, as the added pitch can torque the hull more, but the setup would fly.

NOW, if you want Higher KV, you will really want to go with a LARGE motor... the 1515 1Y or something with more mass, longer rotor, etc.

I tried like CRAZY to make the Stiletto light, but it's a bigger boat, with cool features, and a production boat to boot. Only so much weight savings was possible and still keep it strong enough to survive the thrashing you guys will put it under!

So, my recommendation would be to either upgrade to a 1/8th scale buggy sized motor, or a 1515 series Neu or similar. I have a Losi Xcelorin 1/8th scale 2100KV buggy motor that simply ROCKs on mine... and I also was thinking of trying a Castle 1512 1800KV or similar. ESC changes will be required, of course.

If you want to stay P-Spec legal, then I'd suggest you try the 1500 MG motor, or the 1800 STLO motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    and I also was thinking of trying a Castle 1512 1800KV or similar. ESC changes will be required, of course.

If you want to stay P-Spec legal, then I'd suggest you try the 1500 MG motor, or the 1800 STLO motor.

Very good sir. I just started thinking really hard about this so haven't had a chance to review everything you said darin which is Y i may have missed your information on that, or I read it and forgot I read it which is always possible. I have a spare BJ/MG motor and with the stock 60 amp esc may be nice bit of head room for playing around with some props. I also have a NIB CC 1512 1800kv which I could use. Darin I imagine the motor cover would work with the BJ motor and not the CC motor, is that correct? Also would the 1512 with the jacket fit OK? Never owned a tunnel hull, getting kinda excited.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

DING-DING-DING-DING...
    NOW, if you want Higher KV, you will really want to go with a LARGE motor... the 1515 1Y or something with more mass, longer rotor, etc.
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose though? More mass=more weight on the boat?

Maybe a Leopard 4060/1900Kv or 4065/1800Kv are a better option? If we are to believe the mfg specs they are 295g and 311g respectively, which is less than the 1512 (370g) and the 1515 (424g) .

Not sure how they compare in performance though.

Just for reference, the stock motor is 206g.

Quote Originally Posted by GP73 View Post
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose though? More mass=more weight on the boat?
    With this type of power... weight to KEEP the boat on the water becomes more of an issue...

As an example... I put a Losi Xcelorin 2400KV motor with a Hydra 240 and a lightly massaged X440/3 on my Stiletto and attempted a 2-Lap record run... Need to do a little more tuning, because the boat was BALLISTIC and just flew off the water on the backstretch at a speed I'd estimate to be approaching mid-50s.

Diesel... I had to mod the motor cover to fit around this larger motor, but it looks pretty cool when done, don't you think??
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would say cool is an understatment and bada$$ is more fitting! Amazing as always.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Good to know!

Care to share some of your EagleTree data? What kind of amps are you seeing with the Xcelorin?

darin u keep teasing us with that new motor when do we get to see some video ? also what tuning do u need to do to it? just motor angle and hight or what?

With this type of power... weight to KEEP the boat on the water becomes more of an issue...

As an example... I put a Losi Xcelorin 2400KV motor with a Hydra 240 and a lightly massaged X440/3 on my Stiletto and attempted a 2-Lap record run... Need to do a little more tuning, because the boat was BALLISTIC and just flew off the water on the backstretch at a speed I'd estimate to be approaching mid-50s.

Diesel... I had to mod the motor cover to fit around this larger motor, but it looks pretty cool when done, don't you think??
    Darin looks like I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this thing. Another quick question I know you had to mod the cover to fit over the motor, but I wanted to just make sure and verify the water jacket on the 1512 will fit under that cover. I can't tell if you have any water-cooling on the losi motor or not.

Ron you still looking to buy a Stiletto 60amp esc?
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123