Thread: New Hatch

one more
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice!
    Catching Air!

Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    Very nice!
    Thank you John!

I hope to get some good action shots later this evening. My neighbor who is a professional photagrapher has taken some amazing pics for me of my boats. Hopefully he will be able to find time to stroll the whole 20 yards from his back door to the lake to snap some shots. My buddy down the street whos BJ has been in some of these pics will be out there as well running his new hatch. Should be a good time.

Still trying to find the factory boat blue. I think Im going to have to have it made because Im coming up w/ nothing at all.

dude...that looks awesome!! nice work!
    Go Brushless or GO HOME

Someones hatch got layed up lastnight

Scottskis Laminates, Part 10910-001

That looks veeery nice! The logo is a nice touch.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Official part "001" is out and I couldnt be more pleased. Looks like I worked the bugs out of this one. She basically fell out of the mold. It took less than 10 seconds to pull it. First pick shows the PVA film, second pic is all cleaned up.

Good job. Looks perfect. I hope this takes off. Would be nice to see a lot of BJ26's with this hatch.
    Government Moto:

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    Good job. Looks perfect. I hope this takes off. Would be nice to see a lot of BJ26's with this hatch.
    Im quite pleased w/ this one Dom. And I hope so too

I worked on Chris' hatch this evening. Its still not wanting to dry on the top coat. It feels pretty much tack free but doesnt want to accept sand paper. But, I played w/ it anyway. I screwed up a bit painting it. I forgot to tape the front corners off to keep them white. I sprayed the blue out of my airbrush and I wont do that again either. I shoulda used my detail gun. I had a hard time geting it to lay even but finally got it. This hatch is going to end up on the shelf I think as a "first epoxy top coat" go around. But, I finished it, cleared it and will give it several tapings to see how the paint holds up on the epoxy.

Dom, is this what you were invisioning on paint?

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Im quite pleased w/ this one Dom. And I hope so too

I worked on Chris' hatch this evening. Its still not wanting to dry on the top coat. It feels pretty much tack free but doesnt want to accept sand paper. But, I played w/ it anyway. I screwed up a bit painting it. I forgot to tape the front corners off to keep them white. I sprayed the blue out of my airbrush and I wont do that again either. I shoulda used my detail gun. I had a hard time geting it to lay even but finally got it. This hatch is going to end up on the shelf I think as a "first epoxy top coat" go around. But, I finished it, cleared it and will give it several tapings to see how the paint holds up on the epoxy.

Dom, is this what you were invisioning on paint?
    Daaaaamn!!! That looks sweeeet!!! I hope I don't get in trouble for the first word.
    That's exactly what I was talking about. You should get a lot of orders for that. It takes the look from a toy to a serious FE. Good, no I mean, GREAT JOB!!!
    Government Moto:

That gave me a weird vision. With that hatch, the whole thing painted black with the grey window frame, and a red light that goes back and forth....A Cylon cat....
    Might seem a little too Night Riderish...But cool none the less.
    Government Moto:

deh dehdehdeh deh dehdehdeh deh dehdehdehdeh dehhhh.... deh deh!(end of the night rider theme) "Michael,....!"

And thanks for the kind words Dom.
    Last edited by tiqueman; 10-12-2010 at 01:12 PM.

going to sell thse at all? I would like one

Quote Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
    going to sell thse at all? I would like one
    I am. I have no problem selling an all white epoxy lay up one now. Im holding off with the "painted to match" versions until I do some testing with paint adhesion, tape pull off etc.

Also, Im not laying these up w/ the typical gelcoat that is normally used. Im using an epoxy coat. Its supposed to be much stronger and more resistant to cracks and chips. Its also about 3 times more than gel, so Im trying to figure out a reasonable price.

these things look amazing! beautiful work, i would love to get in line to purchase one. let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by big ed View Post
    these things look amazing! beautiful work, i would love to get in line to purchase one. let me know!
    Thanks for the kind words Ed.

I hope to have a few available in the next week or so. They will be non painted. Last night I tape tested the one I painted up and after a few removals I had some issues. So, I sanded it down, and tried again. It became my "test and tune" part.

My other thought w/ these for the painted version, is to just lay it up w/ the correct scheme in gelcoat. Lay up a layer of clear gel first, then do the blue, white, adhesion promoter for the gel to epoxy and lay it up. If that happens, it wont be for a little while. Plus, I need to get a feel for the demand of a "painted to match hatch" before I go thru all that.

I had my own idea last night, I kind of hacked some things together, what is kind of the process to make a hatch?

Make a plug out of whatever you have to use to make it. Then work on it to get it perfect. wax it several times, pva it, epoxy or gel it, apply adhesion promoter if you geld it and are using epoxy, putty all the tight corners, lay it up super strong w/ multiple layers of cloth as this will be your mold. Let it cure a week. Then do the same thing to it but to make a part, so lay it up only as thick as you need it to be. Plan on spending a ridiculous amount of money to get it right. I coulda bought a complete rtr boat for what I have in this so far.... Its a B1t%h.. plan on spending countless hours on it.. but when its done, and you pop your first part... theres nothin like it. Better than buying a whole new boat.. cause you made it on your own.

do you think it would work to lay fiberglass over th shell I have an then expoy it to the hatch, its not something I want to spend a ton of money on.

I dont see why you couldnt do that. The only thing I can see that may be an issue is that no matter how you attatch the fiberglass to the plastic, you always have that chance if it popping off in a violent tumble. Itll be a little work to blend it to make it look as if it were always like that. But again.. time and patience is all it takes. Putty, sand , paint. Putty, sand, paint. Sand, paint. Sand, paint... over and over again. Just when it seems like it will never end. It will. Just dont have the mind set that it will be done tomorrow.

Give it a whirl though. If nothing else, your learnin!

Or you can give me a week and I can mail you one thats already done

that would probley be a lot better.

In the meantime though, see what you can come up with. Just be sure not to mess up the integrity of your existing hatch to where it becomes non usable. Then the boats non usable. And thats no good.

Ill try and get to the supply shop to get more 4oz cloth tomorow. If I can, I can lay it up tomorrow night or Friday afternoon and have it in the mail first part of next week.

I could try some pc7 putty, gets hard as a rock, I used it to repair my other stuff, its work able for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    In the meantime though, see what you can come up with. Just be sure not to mess up the integrity of your existing hatch to where it becomes non usable. Then the boats non usable. And thats no good.

Ill try and get to the supply shop to get more 4oz cloth tomorow. If I can, I can lay it up tomorrow night or Friday afternoon and have it in the mail first part of next week.
    that would be cool its getting cold fast

Quote Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
    that would be cool its getting cold fast
    I know! It was 87 here today! Brrrrr... Actually it felt a lot warmer. We had beautiful weather last week. And supposed to be in the low 80s over the weekend.

ice will soon be here

How much are you going to be asking for these?

$35.00 plus shipping for a white epoxy hatch. I havent decided when the painted version will be released or for how much.

Got another one layed up this morning. I hope to have 2 or threee available by next weekend if anyone is interested. I will be creating a new thread in the "Products and Services by OSE members" forum when I have a few available. Roadrash may have dibs on this one if hes still wanting. I read he had a mishap w/ his hull though...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast