Thread: What size Neu Motor for Maritimo Catmaran?

Default What size Neu Motor for Maritimo Catmaran?

What size Neu motor would be suitable for A H&M Maritimo Catamaran ( 37inch) running on 6 cell 25/50C batteries? (for a single motor set-up)

What sort of current would you expect from this set-up?
    Would a hydra 120 esc handle it?

Thanks
    Dave

Well does anyone have any input for this question??????
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

Cool

Patience Eod.

Dave, without any specifics no one can give you a meaningful answer. How fast do you want to run? How long do you want to run? What capacity are the cells? Oval racing, speed attempts or sport running? There will be big differences in any recommendations depending on your answers.

This is what I would like to acheive
    The cells I have are 2 * 3s 5000mah Thunder Power.
    I would like to get speeds 50 to 60mph
    Its for sports running with a tendency to go for speed rather than handling.
    I’m after run times 4 to 5mins

I have been testing the boat using Feigao 14XL & 10XL motors
    The Max speed was 46mph on 14XL using X645 but max amp draw was 90 amp more than recommended for motor.
    Or 45mph on the 10XL with X637 prop max amp 73

So I’m after something a bit faster, I want to break 50mph with a motor that will run within its limits

Hope this helps
    Dave

Based on the example you have, you "simply" need more power or be lighter, what batteries each example was using?same as you want to use finaly?
    I am not going to talk about Neu motor (I don't now these motor) but do you really need a Neu?
    Go for a KB45 10 or 11XL or a Feigao8XL, the KB can pull 100-120 amps and has a lot of torque but is heavier, the Feigao can pull 83 but will require a gear under 6S because of its high KV. remember that you have to keep your prop at 20000-25000rpm
    If you want to improve speed, put one extra 3S pack and use a smaller prop or gear down, increasing voltage (at same amp draw) will give you more power at prop, I don't think you'll be able to go that fast reducing amp draw, so even if you manage to stay at 80amps, run time will be around 4minutes, at a certain point, higher speed means a lot more power!!!
    Let's assume you were running 90amp under 6S at the best efficiency, this gives you 1780watts, under 9S (3 packs) you need to pull only 60amp to get the same power so you increase run time because you pull less amp! So if you go for 9S a KB4510XL will spin 35000rpm (way too much), a 11XL will spin 29000, to run 4,5minutes you have to stay below 66amp, this would give you almost 2000watts under 9S! In the same situation, a Feigao8XL will spin 62000rmp (need ceramic bearing!!!) so you'll have to gear down at least 1:2 (I know Steven doesn't like the idea :D just kidding!)
    Last edited by ED66677; 11-13-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    Emmanuel
    I'm french but I doubt I really am!
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pleindetrucs/

I would recommend the hydra240 if you go with 6s and want to run the 50-60 mph range.

you cannot run 9s on any hydro speed controler yet

Quote Originally Posted by mike martin View Post
    you cannot run 9s on any hydro speed controler yet
    He said 6s. The hydra 120 and 240 can not handle the 180 and 240 amps respectively when running 6s.

the OEMRC Sentilon BL ESC handles 100amp under 12S/36Nimh cell, for 100$
    If you stay with 4S go for the Hydra240, IMO any motor you choose will have to pull 100amp+ to achieve what you want
    Emmanuel
    I'm french but I doubt I really am!
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pleindetrucs/

Ok to get back on track it’s the type of Neu motor, which I’m most interested in for a future upgrade to my boat.

Does anyone know someone that runs A Neu in a cat of approx 37inches on 6S?

Which series is more suitable 1521 or 1527 ?

From what I’ve read 1527 would be more suited to 10S set-up

But which 1521? (maybe 1Y ?)

---------------------
    Can you run a 37” Cat 50MPH on 110 amps or less? because at 50mph I will be happy with this project.

I question the amps because if a 6s setup that runs 50mph is likely to draw much more than 100 amps then its more than just the Esc that I would need to change.

Batteries would need to be 2P, in which case I would think you would need to go to 10S2P to overcome the extra weight and wire gauge and connectors would also need upgrading.

Which then takes the costs right out of my price range.

Thanks
    Dave

I would not run the hydra series ESC on 6s... that is the higher limit and you may end up burning it up... wait for the HV HA series that is coming out sometime soon... they should handle it much better. The 1521 1.5Y is the record holder for the 5 lap 1/8 scale...
    that is a whole lotta power, give that motor a though, maybe a little bit hotter 1521 series 1Y or even maybe the 1.5D, since you are running 6s...
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::