Thread: Mini Rigger

Default Mini Rigger

Ive been wanting to do a rigger for awhile now. Just not familiar with them and whats good.

After the reading I have done I would like to build a scaled down version of the JAE.

I have downloaded the DXF and scalled it down by .6666"

This is giving me:

20" overall tip of sponson end of tub
    12 11/16" sponson to sponson
    2" wide x 18 13/16" x 1 3/8" tub
    Sponsons 7/8" wide

Im thinking this might be a good start point.

Power would be:
    http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...trunner_3550KV

or

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...28450_class%29

Think this is going in the right direction?

If anyone has hull ideas/plans, etc I have CAD (AutoCAD). I also have 3D CAD and I can do complete 3D models...

What cell count will you use?
    Will it be laser cut, or manual cut?
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Im thinking 3s, 427 prop?

Im still green in the hobby :) But I have goals.

It will be hand cut and home made hardware.

Did you scale down the 21G2??
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Yes sir.

Thats what the measurements came to given the scale.

I think the height needs to be adjusted larger and add a little more on the width of the tube- maybe another 1/8".

It was just a quick select all and scale.

If things are sounding good for the seasoned I will get my motor and get a full 3D model whipped up.

I just learned that the 21FE tub is narrower than the 21G2. SO you scaled down the larger tub design!! Good job

I like the 1st motor you linked to

Eh, cool!

The width didnt seem to bad. I think it will hold most batteries I would want to use.

I started on one, but I'm going to have to re-design/build the tub. As it stands now it'll barely fit a 2040 motor with cooling jacket. I basically designed it to fit a 3s 2200mah pack, but forgot to even consider motor size.

The bigger tub will be made to fit a 450 outrunner with water cooled mount.

The first motor you show the red one is the more powerful out of the 2. I run one of the other motors, The Typhoon in 3450kv at times. It has much thinner wires coming from the motor so they do get a bit warmer running on 3s lipos. The amps on the Typhoon is lower than the red motor. I think youll find the red one the better option, Their again these little 450 size motors are so cheap you can try both. Thats the fun of these mini / micro boats you can buy an assortment of motors to try with varying kv & have fun developing them for very little money. Thanks Martin.

I'm running the 3200kv turnigy one in my jet sprint and it has been super reliable.

i think your prop is to little on my 3s renegade rigger(16") i run a 531 and its pretty quick the motor is a 2600kv outruner

Im running a 450 outrunner 3600kv on 3s with an Octura x435 sharpened & balanced prop, Although this is in a 15" deep v mono. Thanks Martin.

I would suggest a little wider than 2" on the tub. I will post pictures when I get the electronics in my new build(waiting on paint). It is 16.5" long x 2.125 wide x 1.25 high. It is a tight fit. The rear sponson tube does not go through the tub in order to allow room for batteries.

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

On the one I'm working on, I moved the rear sponson boom back to allow a 3s 2200mah pack to fit between the booms.

Any more details on yours? Is it a scaled down JAE with a bigger tub as well?

Yes it is. I intend to run a 3s 2650 pack. I run 2150 zippy packs in my old rigger and only get about 4 minutes runtime and the battery would get warm, so I wanted to go with a litttle larger battery. In order to keep the CG where it needs to be on a 16" boat I needed to be able to run the battery close to the motor. The mounts I made for the rear are just as stable as the front boom, which is one piece. I also ran into an issue with putting the collars on the front boom, so I secure it with one screw through the bottom of the tub and front boom. Here are some photos.

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

What motor mount and strut are you using? Where'd you get the hatch?

I made it all. Hatch is 1/32 plywood.

Oh man!
    A mini rigger that I could run my small 3s 2200mah packs in would be killer!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
    Yes it is. I intend to run a 3s 2650 pack. I run 2150 zippy packs in my old rigger and only get about 4 minutes runtime and the battery would get warm, so I wanted to go with a litttle larger battery. In order to keep the CG where it needs to be on a 16" boat I needed to be able to run the battery close to the motor. The mounts I made for the rear are just as stable as the front boom, which is one piece. I also ran into an issue with putting the collars on the front boom, so I secure it with one screw through the bottom of the tub and front boom. Here are some photos.

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

What kind of speed are you getting out her??

Have not run it yet, and don't have a wy to tell. No gps or radar.

I want one!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s