Thread: Dell

Default Dell

I bit the bullet and bought a Dell laptop the other day. One word of advise, dont buy it online! Call in the order. I worked the sales rep for a bunch of extras not offered online.

Dont tell them I told ya
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I usually buy from Dell Outlet. It is refurbished and new returns. They sell them with the same warranty as new. You cant see any difference from a brand new one. They sometimes run extra special discounts on the computers and shipping. If you watch it, you can get some super deals.
    Last edited by ReddyWatts; 11-07-2007 at 09:39 PM.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

Good luck with the new machine Steven:). I have ordered 3 desk & 3 laptops from them in the last year and a half for family & friends. I have see 2 machines with issues. One laptop needed a rebuild after 3 months. That not to bad as far as computers go. I chose an HP when it came to laptops to be honest. I was able to cram more into it. The down side is the size and 9 pounds it weighs.

Quote Originally Posted by SJFE View Post
    Good luck with the new machine Steven:). I have ordered 3 desk & 3 laptops from them in the last year and a half for family & friends. I have see 2 machines with issues. One laptop needed a rebuild after 3 months. That not to bad as far as computers go. I chose an HP when it came to laptops to be honest. I was able to cram more into it. The down side is the size and 9 pounds it weighs.
    That sucks about the problems. I have read good and bad everywhere on all of them. It was like when I bought my tv, someone somewhere had something bad to say about one of the brands. I'm not dismissing what you say as true, just that it makes my head hurt when trying to figure out which is best. So I bought a 4 year in home repair, and 4 year smash guarantee. If I drop it or drive over it within the 4 years they replace it. I will make sure to have a backup of the drive incase I even have to run it over with the 4x4

Ready where do you find a Dell Outlet Store?
    Steven Vaccaro

The Dell Outlet is online.

Home and office
    http://www.dell.com/content/default....en&s=dfh&cs=22

Business
    http://www.dell.com/content/default....=28&l=en&s=dfb

I was surprised to see Walmart selling Dell computers. They had a laptop the last time I was there.

Most problems I have seen with new Dell computers is with the latest "Microsoft" Operating system.
    Last edited by ReddyWatts; 11-08-2007 at 08:10 AM.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo

does that repair policy cover accidently dropping the thing in the pond? :)

Lets hear the rest of the story.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo

Quote Originally Posted by Rex R View Post
    does that repair policy cover accidently dropping the thing in the pond? :)
    Yup. Its covers any damage. Well thats until I actually try to make a claim. I'm sure there is a ton of fine print!
    Steven Vaccaro

last time I had to get my 'puter fixed it was a case of are you sure it is broken...try this, what do you see; me: hard drive not found. them: oh, we can have someone there on monday. only time I went to a dell outlet I couldn't find anyone who wanted to sell me a computer.

It is not really a matter of the "best" so much anymore. The machines are all so powerfull now you just pick one that covers your needs. The laptop I specked out for my boss is the one that wound up being the machine with issues(go figure). He bought the same plan with in home repair. They came out each time with new mother boards drives, everything. It has run like a clock since it was straighted out. You did the right thing there . Next time give me a call when your shopping for electronics and you need an unbias opinion. I am always on top of whats what.

We use the Business Dell's exclusively at work. They have been the most reliable computers I have ever seen.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo

They make good bouey weights

Send em all to me.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo

Get this I was screwed by the Dell Sales Rep.

Let me start at the beginning. I called dell today to tell them the ac/dc power adapter was not in the box and wasn't on the order details. They told me to reorder. I said OK but if I but it now the adapter is more money if purchased separately. After fighting for 20 minutes the guy in Pakistan finally understood me and credited me the difference, so I can go online to buy it and not pay extra. At the end of the conversation I ask him when the $270 in gift certificates will show up that the Dell Rep called Managers Specials? He said "I only see $70 in gift certificates!!" After I was totally pissed, I hung up and tried to call back to return it. They said I have to speak to my sales rep on Monday, because the returns people are not in the office. I should have just went to Staples to buy a Sony!

I'm feeling like doing this to Dell
    Steven Vaccaro

thats too bad. I actually heard alot of bad things about sony. I was doing reasearch on computers when my sister was buying a computer and the majority of the complaints came from sony and apple. She ended up buying an hp for like $530 at bestbuy and it is a 17in widescreen, 1024mb ram, 160 gb and an AMD dual core Turion and vista, it is also alot lighter than the previous 17in widescreens. If u can try to get like 2 gigs of ram because vista is a memory hog, but 1 gig should be fine.

Just wait till you need that in home service. We bought 2 and both would last about 4 months. All the tech guy could do was replace the mother board. After the third replace on both they just take their good old time getting to you, like a week and a half. We replaced that garbage with HP and have had no problem in over 3 yrs.

I knew that all of the computer manufacturers were having major problems since the new Vista operating system came out. I still have not used it on any of my computers at this point.
    Last edited by ReddyWatts; 11-11-2007 at 11:13 AM.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo

Steven I would return it just becuase of the line of crap the sales rep gave you on the deal. The last 2 machines I have bought for people have come from BestBuy. I started doing that becuse IMO it's easer to just take it to them or have the Geek Squad come out to the house for service. Another suggestion I have been giving is off leases from ebay. Primarily because you can get great machines with windows "XP". I have 1 or 2 people a month call me with questions about "vista". I refer them to the 1-800 Baboo tech suport system. I don't even want to learn it. Feel free to call me man & I will find you a sweet ZD8 or 9000 on ebay.

We have 3 hp's and only one has had a problem which is my brothers. He called tech support and they sent him a new harddrive within 2 days of that call. But other than that all have been good computers. My computer has xp with a vista upgrade but im not going to upgrade it just because of all the problems that I heard and xp works just fine so there is really no need to upgrade

Well I called dell yesterday morning to speak to my sales rep to fix this issue, only to be disconnected by their phone service after about 30-35 minutes on hold. I gave up and called returns. Told returns I wanted to process the laptop for return, he ask the problem, I told him and within 5 minutes I had what the original rep said I was getting. LOL
    Steven Vaccaro

Good for you. With things going tht way they are I am sure losing a sale is not an option..

I upgraded my system to vista, and I REGRET IT. It has some cool features, but is slooooow. I had 512 mb of ram when I did it so I bought the max amount for my computer which is 2 gb of ram, and I didn't really notice a difference. I wish I could switch back to xp but the recovery cd was on the hard drive and when I installed vista it of course was erased.
    Twin power =

Ace try giving your comp's tech support a call, they might be able to supply you with a set of cd's(at a price of course). when my HP's hd was failing I was able to get a set of recovery cd's from hp(in preperation for a replacement hd). iirc for my system it was 9 cds(then it turned out the new drive already had windows, etc. loaded).

Microsoft is finally releasing the "Vista" Service Pack 1 next week. Maybe there is hope for this operating system???

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=985&tag=nl.e622
    Last edited by ReddyWatts; 11-30-2007 at 06:21 AM.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo

The only hope I have is that it quietly goes away.

I like it so far. It is a bit glitchy, but I'm patiently waiting for the service pack.
    Steven Vaccaro