Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crack in Transom, Both hulls......

Grim - Where can I buy a replacement hull for a 27R? I get no response from Steve here at Offshore.

Hull fractures are a little harder to deal with than loose screws. Weak hulls seems to be the downfall of Aquacraft boats. The bulker laminate isn't working.
    Last edited by Rumdog; 09-21-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaniac View Post
    But the deck/hull joints are cracking along the transom...why not address the problem for these new boaters?
    Who said we are not working on it?.. or what makes you think we are not looking into it..

Im just giving you the basic facts of what caused the change.

Grim

Just a fyi. The sv27 is not the first boat to NOT use wood in the transom.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

But, it should be the last. Unless whoever is glassing the boat makes it THICK in the transom. Just seems like cutting corners to me. There is no REAL reason to eliminate the transom doubler.

Mine developed a crack on the transom on it's second run. The paint flaked off in a thin straight line across the upper section on the starboard side. The transom had a good amount of flex to it. Kinda disappointing.

When I got it home, I took a closer look to see what's up. I found the innermost fiberglass layer never made contact with the inner core causing a section of the transom that was hollow. Sort of like a bubble in a potato chip is the best way I can describe it.

Being this is my first r/c boat, it sucks to be stripping the internals out of it and making repairs instead of using it this early in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimracer View Post
    Who said we are not working on it?.. or what makes you think we are not looking into it..
    Grim
    Put me on the top of the list for a free replacement hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaniac View Post
    vking,
    Don't give up just yet! Great Planes gave my son excellent support when we burned up the motor on the very first run of his SV27. After a few e-mails they replaced it. There are always problems on a new RTR design. I'm assured (above) that the factory is working on a solution...

Fingers crossed that we get a similar response when dealing with split hulls and transoms. I still don't get why I had to basically re-inforce my entire new boat with fiberglass before I could take my son out on the lake with it. One run and it split around the water outlet but heck it still runs and is fast as hell. I still recommend the boat to anyone wanting one of the fastest RTRs on the lake but in terms of durability, I think it needs to be addressed. Hobbico is a big company with deep pockets and they'll get it figured out. I've dealt with them for nearly 25 years on the cars side both professionally and as a consumer.

Finished up the repair job tonight. After cutting out the bad section, I glassed in a single layer of mat over the entire transom from the bottom, all the way up to the hatch opening. I then cut some circuit board material to form a set of knee braces. It's strong, waterproof, super light, and the holes help hold the resin to lock it all together. Glassed those in with a single layer as well to keep it light.

The transom is much better now.
    Maybe Aquacraft can make the stringers with knee braces built right in and glass them to the transom to help solve the problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vking; 09-24-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Looks very good vking. That should really help strengthen it. Will have to do it to mine. The thin ca I put in my exterior crack is holding so far but only 2 runs so far and the crack is getting a bit longer.

Stringfly <>+++++

Default Goosh....

Being new to rc boating I really am at a loss as what to do with my aquacraft super-vee 27r. Don't want to be redundant here but I really hope there is a fix soon for these boats. Mine began to show exterior signs of transom cracking after 1st day out. Have tried thin ca outside as well as inside. Has continued to crack. Now it leaks half an ounce or so of water per run. I find this truly disappointing and hope that everyone who has purchased one of these gets some relief from the manufacturer. Was so enjoying learning the set up, tuning, and running this great looking,running model But I too find it unacceptable that all of them are not recalled as well as halting sales of them until this flaw is rectified. My monetary loss is beyond disappointing as it really angers me as I thought I had purchased a fine 1st boat to enjoy this segment of the hobby. Still hope the manufacturer devotes effort to the fix as it sounds like multiple people have experienced this problem. Now to close I hope to bring a smile to a dark situation when I say...... maybe cash for clunkers???? donnie

I have just called hobbico regarding this problem. The tech stated that they have sold hundreds of these boats and not one has been returned for this problem. He also advised me that that no one is going to be further investigating this due to the fact that it does not appear that any design problem exists. This is contrary to what Grim has told us so I suspect we are having a failure to communicate this information within the hobbico network. Was also advised that as I have used this boat that I could not simply return it to Tower for a refund. Mr. Grim if by chance you review my post here might you please offer me some advise on how I might be able to get some resolution to this. Thank you in advance as I know you are working on this issue. Today I guess I will rough sand interior of transom and paint on a coat of thinned finishing epoxy to try and seal her up. Insaniac thanks for the form but hobbico stated that it would be a waste of time to return it as well as expensive for me. Model was purchased from Tower on 9-2. Enjoy to all. donnie

I got the same B.S. from them with one of the original UL-1's when the cap popped on my esc. I'd say, just buy a Delta Force 29 hull and throw all your gear in it and be done with it!

+1 on what rumdog says... the df hull is at least not a big ole design flaw,they are proven and handle waaaaay better.sv hulls are like fiberglass paper bags they need to be redone to be solid... just a waste of time for that price imo just switch the hardware and move on.

Thanks men for the df29 recommendation. Immediately jumped to offshore to order one up. Greeted with backordered. What's a mother to do !! Anyone know of another vendor of these hulls. Were I not already so addicted I would simply give Grim and Hobbico a chance to follow up on this. Maybe I am living a dream but I would like to believe that they will or is this simply newbie ignorance? Thanks, Donnie

What does it take to pull the stuff out of the stock hull and into one of these recommended replacements?

Well it looks like I have found my answere to my own question. It does not look like AQ will be helping me either BOO HOO!

Hmm..I was going to get one of these but F all this BS!!

You guys expect everything to just be oh so perfect.
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast
    ToySport Triton- Not as fast

The SuperVee is a great boat. A small crack here or there can easily be fixed with a bit of glue. I have a German Hull that I paid over $200 for the bare hull that has cracks. Its part of the hobby.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Wounder why my Geico hasnt done this yet? Well over 40 runs..

It's a manufacturing issue ...... that is why the issues are along the seams. Once the polyester has fully cured, and you glue the deck to the hull, it is nolonger a chemical bond, a physical one. I put some glass tape / mat along the seam with expoxy in areas I can get to. Very fiddly and I'd rather pay extra and it done at the factory in China for a lot less than it costs me to buy epoxy locally. In my opinion, they should make these hulls out of epoxy rather than polyester considering how much they charge, the market they sell to, and the benefits in regards to strength and bonding expoxy shells rather than polyester shells togther. It's not just aquacraft, but also proboat, though proboat at least has a nicer finish before they crack (and usually only after impact).

Hmmm here's an idea "supervee platinum edition ....... made with epoxy and reinforced seams" make it a plug and run if you're worried about costs or a bind and run.

hmmm, go into the hobby shop
    consumer: "I'd like a SuperVee 27R please"
    retailer: "would you like to up size that to extra re-inforcing and glass in the hull for an extra $10"
    consumer:"yes please, seesm like good value"
    Last edited by veejo; 01-25-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    Proboat Mystic, Proboat Impulse 31, Aquacraft Supervee 27, Aquacraft Atlantic tug

Hello from Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by menksters View Post
    I have just called hobbico regarding this problem. The tech stated that they have sold hundreds of these boats and not one has been returned for this problem. He also advised me that that no one is going to be further investigating this due to the fact that it does not appear that any design problem exists. This is contrary to what Grim has told us so I suspect we are having a failure to communicate this information within the hobbico network. Was also advised that as I have used this boat that I could not simply return it to Tower for a refund. Mr. Grim if by chance you review my post here might you please offer me some advise on how I might be able to get some resolution to this. Thank you in advance as I know you are working on this issue. Today I guess I will rough sand interior of transom and paint on a coat of thinned finishing epoxy to try and seal her up. Insaniac thanks for the form but hobbico stated that it would be a waste of time to return it as well as expensive for me. Model was purchased from Tower on 9-2. Enjoy to all. donnie
    We seem to have an accepatnce of things going wrong in this hobby and we fix it, we are tinkerers. If this happened to a mainstream product eg a car, there would be an uproar and it would be on the news "consumers are in an uproar as cracks appear on their Aquacraft family sedans". Windows crashes on a PC we reboot and accept it. If your family car needed to be rebooted, and it has software, there would be an uproar. RC boat problems aren't life threatening .... just inconvenient and irritating and a nuisance.
    Proboat Mystic, Proboat Impulse 31, Aquacraft Supervee 27, Aquacraft Atlantic tug

Hello from Australia.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12