Thread: Pre-Cool your electrics before runs.

Default Pre-Cool your electrics before runs.

Hear is how I pre cool my boat before I run it in hot set up. Put some ice water in a weed sprayer and circulate a gallon threw your system, also is a great way to flush salt water away and undesirable water. It is a great way to cool everything off after a run and if you have multiple packs you can run sooner .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

"Cool" thinking, thanks. Havasu water gets pretty warm in the summer.

I'm not sure how advisable it is to run water close to 0 degrees through a system prior to a run... or even after it for that matter. Electronics always work most efficient under warm or even hot conditions, I'm sure rapid cooling and heating might not be the best thing to do on an ESC.

Guess you never saw the performance gain from cooling brushed motors prior to running. Can't say about BL motors but cooling and not freezing them is not bad.

What I would watch is something being real warm and then hitting it with cold water which = condensation.

Haha never said anything about the motors Jeff... Worried about the ESC. If the heating and cooling wasnt rapid it would be fine but youre getting a cold system suddenly being run hot... that's a big change for those electronics. Especially for an ESC which we know can be extremely sensitive under certain conditions.

I actually use a fuel pump ment for Gassers to pump lakewater throught the system while sitting on the shore/dock to continue to cool the electronics for the next run.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    Guess you never saw the performance gain from cooling brushed motors prior to running. Can't say about BL motors but cooling and not freezing them is not bad.

What I would watch is something being real warm and then hitting it with cold water which = condensation.

"Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Quote Originally Posted by hyrulejedi86 View Post
    I actually use a fuel pump ment for Gassers to pump lakewater throught the system while sitting on the shore/dock to continue to cool the electronics for the next run.
    The only ones I've seen use the exhaust to power it, is yours electric?

a car window washer pump might work also
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Cool

Hahahaha! Good one for this summer (I know the post was made in April). Our lake water is 90*F+ on the surface It doesn't "cool" much of anything....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Mark Beatty, with Classic Thunder, used an electric IV pump and a small radiator in one of his new 1/10th scales to build a fully closed cooling system. The radiator is recessed into the center of the tunnel. I think he turns the pump on with the third channel.

Haven't heard how it works, but it sure looked like it should...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    a car window washer pump might work also
    my car junyard says they don't just pull out of cars, although I know multiple people who do it

Most windshield washer pumps are on the plastic fluid tank.
    daniel
    When you know it all.......you never will learn anything new

I'll try to get a pic and show the guy

You used to be able to just buy the pumps from the auto parts store
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

I think I might go to Canadian tire, who knows, i'll look around

I have one of these but it pumps fast. I thought about getting a small cooler to hold ice and water with a detachable rack to hold the boat sideways and just recirculate the water, but eventually I settled for the old fashioned manual plastic soda bottle with tubing.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tric-Fuel-Pump

Just remember to pay attention, don't get distracted, and re-connect the tubing to the pickup or else (ask me how I know).

the trouble with a washer pump is i think theres too much pressure . the little suckers under full 12v really cook . i think the pressurizsed weed/bug sprayer would be great . no other support gear to make it work .

I wonder if it was run at the rx voltage(5v-7v) instead of 12v if it would make the pressure more usable?
    Daniel
    When you know it all.......you never will learn anything new

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Mark Beatty, with Classic Thunder, used an electric IV pump and a small radiator in one of his new 1/10th scales to build a fully closed cooling system. The radiator is recessed into the center of the tunnel. I think he turns the pump on with the third channel.

Haven't heard how it works, but it sure looked like it should...
    Any links to any pics?

I used a glow fuel pump in my gas boat hooked to a momentary switch I rigged up on the throttle rod so when the throttle is off the motor kicks in, I did have it on a 3rd channel but I didn't like the possibility of someone forgetting to turn it on and it pumped alright at 6v and the weight it added was negligible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk