Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Kitty! Stop bouncing!!!

Default Bad Kitty! Stop bouncing!!!

I see alot written about the MG "bouncing" most times it's just a set-up issue...
    Take your hull, loaded with packs. canopy, etc, etc and see where your CG is... Your "sweet spot" is 9" forward from the transom. That's 9" from the back of the boat, not the hardware. If your boat balances, your stylin, my guess is it ain't even close! I had to build up longer battery trays, almost to the transom to move my packs back.. Once you get it to balance, make sure the top of your strut is flat, level and flush with the top of the mount, same with the rudder. See how it run's, if your bouncing play with the strut angle, but,, do not give the stut positive angle to force the nose down, this will cause bouncing! Do just the opposite, lift the nose a little and air your kitty out... The hull wants to fly, thats what they do best... Once she's running good wide open (close... but not too close to blowing over), you can do tiny adjustments with weight, TINY adjustments...
    C-Ya at the Lake!
    ~~~~~~~***-
    Ron
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqY7NHhfPrs

Sweet running boat, What prop?

running a X642 in this vid, and not taxing motor at all. The esc will need to go away to see top speeds from these boats, I'm getting spikes over twice the rated amprage. I'm gonna run her till it pops
    : )

Ask Darin how far above the rating he has run the ESC...

Proboat does the same thing I did with my RC-Hydros.com ESCs for years. Under-rate them so that if anybody ever blows one up, you can be pretty sure they were WAY over the top.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

yo Andy, are you the guy who built the RCHydro controlers?

Yup.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Nice looking run
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Ron, welcome to the Forum my friend. Thank you for posting your results to help us out. Batteries back, opposite of what everyone else was suggesting.
    FE BOATING: Less like a hobby and more like an addiction!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat26 View Post
    Batteries back, opposite of what everyone else was suggesting.
    Yup... Thanks for posting these results guys. This is the opposite of what worked on the sample boat, but it didn't have the concavity on the ride pads, so I'll be interested in watching to see how the setups go for those who are blueprinting the bottoms.

ALMOST have the perfect RTR package here... just need to see if we can get the manufacturer to do something about getting the ride pads to cure true.

Keep up the great setup threads, guys... this is fun.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Darin the paint is dry and should have some runs on her today. Can't wait to see what flat pads do!

Darin the paint is dry and should have some runs on her today. Can't wait to see what flat pads do!
    Hopefully, it makes it BETTER, not worse!!

Yeah really. Surely it will be better. I was cringing the whole time sanding down the beautiful yellow/green on her.

Yeah really. Surely it will be better. I was cringing the whole time sanding down the beautiful yellow/green on her.
    I know... but they are ride pads... if anyone is looking at those... your setup still isn't correct!

igot did you run it on the stock prop? I'm curious what the esc rating is under that, running an x642 shouldnt change it that much....

Thanks for adding your findings Ron.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Yup... Thanks for posting these results guys. This is the opposite of what worked on the sample boat, but it didn't have the concavity on the ride pads, so I'll be interested in watching to see how the setups go for those who are blueprinting the bottoms.

ALMOST have the perfect RTR package here... just need to see if we can get the manufacturer to do something about getting the ride pads to cure true.

Keep up the great setup threads, guys... this is fun.
    what ive noticed is heat from curing process or paint curing causes fiberglass to warp. do they bake the finish on?

Hey Ron,
    Very good stuff! I am going to put your intel to work on my MG right away. It appears you were running running a X642, like to know the batteries you were running.

Darin
    I am very happy with my MG. I started out with 2s 5000 30c lipos, stock prop. When ever I get my replacement flex shaft, I like to try out another prop or two. Ron was running a x642 which appeared to be a good choice, any other suggestions?

One of the first things I checked was the bottom of my boat, sure enough there are concavities on the ride pads. We used to call that a "hook" back in the day, mostly because we couldn't spell "concavity. Anyway it is not too bad and not to hard to correct. Proboat has no touch up paint. I suggested to the tech support group last week it would be a good to have some to sell to us. Could be a good source of new revenue to boot. This a popular color in the safety business, but I have not found an exact match yet.

I will be interested to see how blackcat26 runs with flat pads! I have to say my first laps on my MG were pretty darn good. I put my batteries a bit forwar of the BP as it was a bit windy, and not knowing the boat, I opted for safety. It wasn't bow heavy really. I am going to try Ron's suggestions, the video was pretty telling that whatever he had done, was working.

I was surprised at the small rooster tail on his boat. Interesting. No matter the development team did a great job on this one! Thank you.

I am in contact with a number RC FE guys and they are all either ordering one or seriously consider it. My guess is will be a winner for Proboat.

Ok here is one last question. How about trim tabs on cats in general and specifically on Miss G? I attached a few pictures of some RC boat trim tabs. I like the long ones best. Your thoughts are invited.

Thank you.
    Boomer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boomer; 09-15-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typos

Nice run Ron.

Trimmed out nicely, thank you for sharing

I think I would keep the ride pads hook, I like the way it runs in the video.

Almost thought it was designed that way for stability.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Thanks Boomer...
    I'm running 45C 5000mah 2S Hyperion packs, the 642 I'm running is thinnned and cupped...

All I can say is, what a great boat. I have to admit I was a little more than apprehensive about running it. A person reads about the wrong cable, the servo problems, and the bouncing issue. All valid problems, I'm sure.. I did change the flex cable and left everything else stock. I'm not part of the Lipo scene....yet, so I used some well used 3000 MAH NiMh's. Even with the junky batteries it ran really well. Balanced at 10 inches from the transom. Very smooth, no bouncing. Radio worked flawlessly. Turned onna dime. Reasonably fast. About 5 minutes of run/fun time. And didn't sink! I know it wasn't running as fast as it could without the big league batteries in it, but still ran excellent! Maybe I just got lucky! I have a x642 to try next, and some new 5000MAH batteries that should be here tomorrow. I hate to buy lipos this late in the season, just to have them sit around all winter. I need opinions on the best kind of lipos to buy and the best charger/balancer to get. but that's for another thread. Maybe next year...I hope.

A very short video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAy-FTMpv_Q

In-d-boat
    Last edited by in-d-boat; 09-12-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: addition

Hey Ron, what voltage were you running in the video? It was not 4s unless you changed the motor out.

Oops didn't see your answer 2 posts up. You are getting 10 miles an hour faster than me. That prop must be pretty trick bro!

@blackcat26
    It's a very aggresive prop, but I'm running it really shallow, allowing me to spin it at the max rpm. The water was dead calm yesterday and I GPS'd Her at 46.3 I had gun readings the last time out up to 50 flat, but I trust my GPS over the gun.... The first couple passes with those 45C Hyperions are sick! I was loving my 40C TP packs, but the Hyperions are lighter and stronger... I've hit amp spikes to 94amps with the stock esc and haven't popped it yet!

I know props are top secret to some people but would you be kind enough to post some picture of yours? That is truely some impressive speeds on 4s!

Cool

Because the motor in the MG has a low Kv it requires a lot of prop pitch to see high speeds. Props which worked with the BJ should work well with the MG.

The UL-1 motor has a much higher Kv and gives higher speeds with the same prop....but it can also overheat and blow stock ESCs. I datalogged my UL-1 motor in a DarkHorse hydro with an x445 and got average amp draws of over 90 amps. Peak amps were well over 120. It ran cooler and about as fast with an m440 - average amps were under 80. This particular motor needs a smaller diameter prop and may not work too well for general use in the MG. The new 1800 Kv motor in the Stiletto on the other hand.....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The new 1800 Kv motor in the Stiletto on the other hand.....
    I was thinking that also 1800kv would be a good target for this boat. I was eyeing up the stiletto motor prior to receiving my MG knowing that I would want to bump up to a 1800kv motor, but the $98 price tag on that motor steered me away, I then thought about the new sv27r 6 pole 1800kv motor. Designed the same as the ul-1 motor but with a lower kv rating for about $30 less. As of right now I am sticking with my stock power in my mg and running 4s for sport and 5s for serious fun with a x642, bec disabled. Just my 2 cents. After running stock I will run it this way for a while.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

diesel where do u put the 4 cell in the mg?

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    diesel where do u put the 4 cell in the mg?
    2S x2 side trays.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Yea what ray said. 2x 2s in series for 4s or 1 3s & 1 2s in series for 5s. 36mph on 4s, 46.4 on 5s both with a x642. Vid in my signature. After seeing the potential on 5s its why I am not rushing to change the stock power yet.

I am in the process of setting up telemetry in my MG right now
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Default Prop questions

Mr. D (Diesel6401)
    What is a good price for a x642 prop? Do they all have the same shaft size, or do you have to specify the shaft size? Last one, suggestion on where to buy a x642 to fit Miss G?
    (New guy questions. Sorry)

I really enjoyed your videos. In particular the Crash 1 vid. Your boats all seem to be exceptionally fast, so I am wondering if the reason or one reason, for all the flips might be due, at least in part, to your boats running on the "bleeding edge" of the hulls capability? I am sure wind and water conditions are major factors, but the Genesis flip was curious. I was not able to detect any obvious reasons for the boat's "short flight". I have seen other vids of this boat where they looked to be very stable at high speeds. They did show a propensity for torque lift or pitch.

Since I will have mine next week, I would be very interested in your thoughts on correcting torque lift on this boat. My Miss G doesn't exhibit this trait, maybe ever so slightly, but not much.

Don't want to high jack the thread, perhaps you could respond via PM, so as not to disturb the continuity of the thread. Great stuff
    Boomer
    Last edited by Boomer; 09-15-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast