Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what about putting some power in MG

Default what about putting some power in MG

i wouldnt normally buy a rtr boat but this one seems to drive pretty good. i like the way it turns for a cat. has anyone tried putting some power in it like a 1515 1y or even 8xl with a carbon floor and 2x4s for weight? just curious what this hull is capable of with other than the spec power... i have a 1515 1y being freshened up and new bearings and i am looking for something to put it in... i have only driven the boat once and hate to buy one only to take everything out but it seems as if that is the best route since the hull alone is $200. i am sure i could round up $100 for the radio, servo, esc and motor...

will let you know over the weekend ,just waiting for good weather to test how the1515/1Y cc/neu runs in the MG...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UL1- 1515 castle/neu / 240 swordfish
    SV27- with UL1 running gear
    33 Delta Force - 1521-1.5D/Neu/ 240 swordfish/4S2P

WE threw a 1.5y in Bobby's MG, and on 5S she absolutely screamed - easily into the 50s!! Can't wait to go 6S.

we used an M445 prop and it seems like a winner of a prop.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

great, let me know how this thing goes.....

How much are those motors, $200+ ???

I run the miss-g today with the cc/neu 1515/2200kv & a prather 225 was GPSing 55mph on 4s , she got that bounce happening that everybody is talking about , i ran a M445 with the battery trays in there standard position and the bounce went away running the M445....
    Last edited by scoota; 09-26-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Wish they had a $65 price tag on the CC/Neu 1515.

How would the leopard 4074/2000kv motor compare in performance?

bump

The 2200KV leopard would be just as good. Doubt you could tell the difference.

I am going to throw a Stilleto motor in mine. The 1800kv one, just bought it off of Danny. Trying to keep it PB for a while.
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 09-29-2010 at 12:27 AM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by scoota View Post
    I run the miss-g today with the cc/neu 1515/2200kv & a prather 225 was GPSing 55mph on 4s , she got that bounce happening that everybody is talking about , i ran a M445 with the battery trays in there standard position and the bounce went away running the M445....
    Was the speed about the same?
    great to hear the bouncie went away with that prop
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Was the speed about the same?
    great to hear the bouncie went away with that prop
    No the speed was a little less with the m445 , i was gpsing 51 mph , the prather has a lot more pitch , i ran a M447 it was faster but didnt have the gps on board ,going to try a M645 next & see what speeds i get ....

The 4074 I saw was 2000kv, not 2200kv

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    The 2200KV leopard would be just as good. Doubt you could tell the difference.

I ran one with a feigao 9xl and aquacraft ul1 esc. It ran great with the x642, but took a dive and well see the picture....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I ran one with a feigao 9xl and aquacraft ul1 esc. It ran great with the x642, but took a dive and well see the picture....
    Oh no!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Oh no!
    NA, I'm not sad. I pushed it hard and it pushed back. I will strengthen the next hatch and try again.
    Steven Vaccaro

No the speed was a little less with the m445 , i was gpsing 51 mph , the prather has a lot more pitch , i ran a M447 it was faster but didnt have the gps on board ,going to try a M645 next & see what speeds i get ....
    You guys are kind of killing me here... New motors?? The stock motor will handle WAY more prop than this... The 645 only has 2.835" of pitch... The 447 only 2.598"... I ran a Prather 230 on mine and the motor temps after 6-laps on an offshore course were 117-degrees... that's 2.992" pitch... and I feel it's only scratching the surface for a race setup... Diameter might end up being an issue, but if one knows how to pitch up props, I'd start bending on an X645 or similar and see what that will do pitched up to 3+" of pitch...

Of course, if you are just bolting on props, then a new motor might be better, because you can get the RPMs up, which will make up for the lack of pitch in the prop...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    You guys are kind of killing me here... New motors?? The stock motor will handle WAY more prop than this... The 645 only has 2.835" of pitch... The 447 only 2.598"... I ran a Prather 230 on mine and the motor temps after 6-laps on an offshore course were 117-degrees... that's 2.992" pitch... and I feel it's only scratching the surface for a race setup... Diameter might end up being an issue, but if one knows how to pitch up props, I'd start bending on an X645 or similar and see what that will do pitched up to 3+" of pitch...

Of course, if you are just bolting on props, then a new motor might be better, because you can get the RPMs up, which will make up for the lack of pitch in the prop...
    Darin,

I want more speed without jumping up to 5s - all of my packs are 4s and I am happy with that. I agree with you - the PB 1500Kv motor in the MG can definitely take more prop than my Octura x642 but I want my speed to go from 38mph (current stock setup) to high 40's or even low 50's with a 2200Kv Leopard 4074 and new Swordfish 200 amp LV ESC (once Steve gets them in). My MG should cruise withg that set up - what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by airman66285 View Post
    Darin,

I want more speed without jumping up to 5s - all of my packs are 4s and I am happy with that. I agree with you - the PB 1500Kv motor in the MG can definitely take more prop than my Octura x642 but I want my speed to go from 38mph (current stock setup) to high 40's or even low 50's with a 2200Kv Leopard 4074 and new Swordfish 200 amp LV ESC (once Steve gets them in). My MG should cruise withg that set up - what do you think?
    I think... actually I KNOW, that the stock motor setup will do high-40's in race trim with the right prop... But, agree, that it will be easier to achieve with a bigger motor setup. Just a lot more expensive.

Breaking what works well is part of the fun! I have guys ordering motors with NEW boats and changing them before they are even wet once.
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Breaking what works well is part of the fun! I have guys ordering motors with NEW boats and changing them before they are even wet once.

I LIKE IT!!

It's all good... If I wasn't having to work within the framework of a set of power parameters, I'd be doing the same thing... I have a 1521 1.5D that is just sitting here!

go darin.... well put. what good is a spec boat if it isnt "spec"
    i am the one that started this thread and am now looking at it in a new light.... it should have been titled "what about getting some speed from the stock MG"

I think... actually I KNOW, that the stock motor setup will do high-40's in race trim with the right prop... But, agree, that it will be easier to achieve with a bigger motor setup. Just a lot more expensive.
    If I were to keep the MG as PB as possible, what do you think about putting a Feigao 540 12L (2,159Kv) in and keeping the existing ESC? Of course, I would keep the x642 as well... Will the stock ESC handle that motor?

Quote Originally Posted by airman66285 View Post
    If I were to keep the MG as PB as possible, what do you think about putting a Feigao 540 12L (2,159Kv) in and keeping the existing ESC? Of course, I would keep the x642 as well... Will the stock ESC handle that motor?

It IS just a 45A ESC, though we all know it will handle more. I'm not going to suggest one way or the other. It "might" is about as far as I'll go, mostly because I don't know for sure.

Mine in my P-Limited OPC Tunnel lasted for over a season of races pulling an average of 60+Amps, with long stretches (through the turns) of nearly 100A... Then, one day, it just didn't anymore...

It IS just a 45A ESC, though we all know it will handle more. I'm not going to suggest one way or the other. It "might" is about as far as I'll go, mostly because I don't know for sure.

Mine in my P-Limited OPC Tunnel lasted for over a season of races pulling an average of 60+Amps, with long stretches (through the turns) of nearly 100A... Then, one day, it just didn't anymore...
    That's exactly what I was thinking - I will just wait for the 4074's to get back in stock and order one then with the new Swordfish ESC. I don't want to run the risk of nuking anything and damaging my beautiful MG hull! I can't tell you how much fun I have driving that thing! Thanks for the input.

Why are we killing you ? each to there own , yes i didnt even run the stock esc & motor , i have been thru all this with the BJ 26 & i know the stock set up will handle more prop ! the 1515 & 240 esc gives me more room to run different props with out pushing the motor & esc , after running a prather 225 , for 4 mins my temps were half of yours & thats what i want with my set ups ...

Why are we killing you ? each to there own , yes i didnt even run the stock esc & motor ,
    You have to read the rest of the thought:

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan
    It's all good... If I wasn't having to work within the framework of a set of power parameters, I'd be doing the same thing...

The bottom line for me is that it doesn't take much work to bolt in a motor and ESC and make a boat go 50mph... Anyone with $$$ or enough credit can do it.

It's a lot more setup and skill to get it there with the stock power system... THAT is where the thrill comes for many of us, and also how you learn about props, sharp hulls, etc.

But as you said... to each their own. It's all good! I'm just happy you all are enjoying the hull!

Can't wait to see what we come out with next...

duplicate
    Last edited by ray schrauwen; 10-03-2010 at 03:57 PM.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I had the opportunity to run my MG this weekend. Due to a faulty stock ESC, I ran the only set-up I had available which was a 12XL, 150 Etti, x645 on 6s. All I can say is wow. With very little set-up, i got 53.6 on the gps. The boat was fast, stable, and most of all fun. There was a 10-15 mph wind and chop all day, but the boat ran great. All I can say is congratulations to Proboat. I can only hope their next boat is a revised version of the Miss Elam that accomidates larger lipos, has the waterproof lid, and adjustable 3/16 hardware...and since it is about to get cold here, is ready for the start of next season. Great Job.

Nice setup thanks for the input!!!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast