Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seal that stuffing tube with a Vacum plug !!

Default Seal that stuffing tube with a Vacum plug !!

When I had to seal two of my wire-drive stuffing tubes, I ingeniously* used vacum plugs. Worked great ! Just sealed a .187 cable in my Cyberstorm the same way. Just punch a small hole in the end, slide on the stuffing tube for a nice seal

*It's hard to be humble when you're a Legend {In your own Shower}
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Sweet....I have been wondering how to convert one of my hydro's to wire without swapping out the stuffing tube. Good going there Tony....
    * BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

LOL
    nice Tony!
    How did the testing go?
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Lightbulb

GEE WOW,

That must have taken some thought power to sort that out.

Bonewar
    SIMRAD MARITIMO TWIN 1512 NEU'S , M12 MARITIMO SINGLE 1527 NEU , SV27 1509 NEU , SV27 NITRO O.S. 18CV-R 3.0cc WATER COOLED RACE ENGINE.

I use antenna caps for the smaller wire drives and work well. Usually the cable will begin to eat the rubber but will last for a while. The vac cap may hold up better.

Awesome tip thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    When I had to seal two of my wire-drive stuffing tubes, I ingeniously* used vacum plugs. Worked great ! Just sealed a .187 cable in my Cyberstorm the same way. Just punch a small hole in the end, slide on the stuffing tube for a nice seal

Nice. Very nice!
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

I like it!!!
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

What type of stores do you buy these from?

Quote Originally Posted by simo71 View Post
    What type of stores do you buy these from?
    Auto parts stores.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Great tip! And even if they do wear out, you can replace them for cheap! Do you usually punch a small hole? Or just slit the end?

Cool thought. Thanks
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post

And even if they do wear out, you can replace them for cheap! Do you usually punch a small hole? Or just slit the end?

Oh, Sorry, you mean the VACUM PLUG

Just a small hole with the tip of an X-acto blade

Oh brother!!!!

I'm going to try the vacuum plug idea next time I remove the flex. Simple and functional.

I thought I was a genious one day and folded over the shrink tube into the stuffing tube. The theory was that it would act like a rotary lip seal. if the pressure is higher on the prop side, the folded lip would seal onto the flex shaft. Works good at first, but it splits after a few runs. The optimum would be the rotary type seal in the second photo.

The vinyl plug works well for my wire drives which are "smooth". When I went to the auto parts store for bigger ones for the .187 shaft, all that was in stock was the rubber ones. One run on the rubber & it got worn. I found a vinyl one that fits in my parts drawer & just installed it-we'll see if the flex cable wears this one out.

The rotary seal you picture seems like a good idea - I'm going to see if I can find the right size & give that idea a try. Good thinking !

So this does the same as the little piece of fuel line that some use ( ? )

Quote Originally Posted by poobs View Post
    So this does the same as the little piece of fuel line that some use ( ? )
    Fuel tubing works fine. I went to these for my wire drives and my .187 cable boats because silicone tubing was too big or to small for those applications. Searched today at auto part stores for the vinyl ones with no luck; hardware store had these for "screw tip protectors" $.11 to $.17 each.

Fuel tubing works fine. I went to these for my wire drives and my .187 cable boats because silicone tubing was too big or to small for those applications. Searched today at auto part stores for the vinyl ones with no luck; hardware store had these for "screw tip protectors" $.11 to $.17 each.
    Those are the bad boys I use for protecting the negative battery bullet on my lipo packs. Slide right over and fit nice. Loose enough to pull off but not to loose to fall off when handling. Cheap too! But its tough to find them for some of my packs that have the 8mm bullets.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Quote Originally Posted by m4a1usr View Post
    Those are the bad boys I use for protecting the negative battery bullet on my lipo packs. Slide right over and fit nice. Loose enough to pull off but not to loose to fall off when handling. Cheap too! But its tough to find them for some of my packs that have the 8mm bullets.

John
    My local hdwre store has all kinds of sizes. If you need some I'll get some for you. LMK.

So what would you guys recommend to seal a 5/16" tube (1/4" flexshaft)?
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Must.......clear mind.......legend....shower.....aaaaggghhhhhhhh!!

Don, Are you going to use grease or oil? Last I heard you are going to be turning about 36k on 8s.

Quote Originally Posted by jcald2000 View Post
    Don, Are you going to use grease or oil? Last I heard you are going to be turning about 36k on 8s.
    Normally I'm partial to oilers but since the tub will become one big radio box as opposed to my nitro boats I may go with grease on my new FE rides.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

I was using oil at 34k and using 3/16 cable with the large silicon fuel tubing pushed over the stuffing tube with about 1/6" touching the cable, worked well with only few drops after a heat.

Quote Originally Posted by don ferrette View Post
    So what would you guys recommend to seal a 5/16" tube (1/4" flexshaft)?

Radio box pushrod seals (rubber boots)work great
    Mart

Glad this thread popped back up, I've got water coming up the shaft on my new wire setup. Off to the hardware store!

You can use small shrink wrap CAd to the stuffing tube then put your wire in and shrink it around it. Works well. I also use antenna caps but this is for smaller wire drive stuffing tubes.

I'll try the shrink tube trick first. I have plenty of that! Using you're wire on my p-1 mono works great!

Double up the shrink tubing...just when you insert the wire after shrinking be careful and hit the hole....don't just jam it in there. Also a little extra grease up at that end on the wire as you slide it in. Glad to hear it is working well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    be careful and hit the hole....don't just jam it in there
    Thats always good advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast