Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geico Flex Cables

Don't mean to pry, but the shipping seems a little high for such a small item. We ship thousands of items a day, so I'm fairly familar with shipping prices. NO biggie, probably should keep this comment to myself, but that's my down fall, I'm honest and that's just how I feel. JMO

So is it wise to not run my boat with the original shaft? And what exactly is the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by shotimes95 View Post
    So is it wise to not run my boat with the original shaft? And what exactly is the issue?

There is a potential that the cable will, when put under shock/stress, try to unwrap the outter layer, putting it into compression, as opposed to tension. This would cause additional drag, and potentially a seizing up in the stuffing tube.

I think if you run using the stock prop, and be a little gentle with the accelleration and try not to shock the driveline too much, you should be fine until the replacement cables arrive.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

If you have reverse rotation prop, that would work even better.

I can hear the CT/ERCU guys telling us that it's because we run the "wrong" way around the course :)

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Quote Originally Posted by tman52804 View Post
    Don't mean to pry, but the shipping seems a little high for such a small item. We ship thousands of items a day, so I'm fairly familar with shipping prices. NO biggie, probably should keep this comment to myself, but that's my down fall, I'm honest and that's just how I feel. JMO
    No problem. Its your money and I never question someone asking where its going.

We charge a $3.95 handling fee on each order. That gets you quick shipping out our door.

Example of shipping options on checkout and what they look like.

First-Class Mail, NO insurance. Typical delivery time 7-12 business (days) $5.68
    Priority Mail, Insurance included to mail box. Typical delivery time 3 to 5 business (days) $8.85

Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    There is a potential that the cable will, when put under shock/stress, try to unwrap the outter layer, putting it into compression, as opposed to tension. This would cause additional drag, and potentially a seizing up in the stuffing tube.

I think if you run using the stock prop, and be a little gentle with the accelleration and try not to shock the driveline too much, you should be fine until the replacement cables arrive.

I just looked at mine and it matches the reverse picture. Thats the wrong way?

Thanks so much again!!!

Good info., didn't know about the handling fee. Gotta say, don't like handling fees, but now I know......and knowing is sometimes half the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post

One other thing. If you do use the stock cable make sure to solder the end that goes into the coupler really well. Make sure to get the solder into the core of the cable. Cable is made with outter and inner layers. They are oposite rotations to each other(see the picture)

If the end is soldered well, the coupler will grab both the outer and inner wire and help to stop the unthreading of the cable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steven Vaccaro

Good info., didn't know about the handling fee. Gotta say, don't like handling fees, but now I know......and knowing is sometimes half the battle.
    You can read more about it here
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/policy.php
    It might be slightly out of date.

I agree, No one likes to be changed to ship something. But it pays the bills. Last year I spent over $5000 in boxes, peanuts, bubble wrap, paper, labels, ink for the printer, and printers. Not to mention about 3 hours a day packing and labeling.

What company was it you work for?
    Steven Vaccaro

No problem Steve. The company I work for has nothing to do with it and it is a great deal larger than yours. (About 300 employees). I'm just a mechanical engineer with a tight wallet. No need to comment any further, you don't need to justify your handling fees, they are what they are. I just didn't realize that you charged a handling fee, now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    You can read more about it here
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/policy.php
    It might be slightly out of date.

I agree, No one likes to be changed to ship something. But it pays the bills. Last year I spent over $5000 in boxes, peanuts, bubble wrap, paper, labels, ink for the printer, and printers. Not to mention about 3 hours a day packing and labeling.

What company was it you work for?

The company I work for has nothing to do with it and it is a great deal larger than yours. (About 300 employees).
    I figured since we were all being honest and open, and you brought it into the conversation, that you could share that info.
    Steven Vaccaro

Neat stuff their buildin over there!
    Steven Vaccaro

Gentlemen,
    As much as I've wanted to pick up my Miss G, I've waited to see what the resolution will be for the flex shaft cable. Question - do we know when the the Miss G will be sent out with the correct flex cable installed? I apologize if you have already covered this. There is so much info here (excellent info too) that I may have over look it. I don't have many weekends left to run boats here in Minnesota....unless of course I retro fit skis. Hmmm....

I'm selling them with the flex cable for $15 more. Forum members get a $15 discount. So its a wash.
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Davis View Post
    Question - do we know when the the Miss G will be sent out with the correct flex cable installed?
    No, not yet. As soon as Darin or I know, one of us will post the info.

Andy

Andy,

Is the esc in this boat already programmed for lipos are does one need to buy the proboat programmer and program it prior to running lipos?

Top left corner of Page 6 in the manual: http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...ser_Manual.pdf

Andy

Yep, sorry I was somewhat confused as the esc manual says its safe with all battery types.
    I'm sure it is, if programmed properly.

Does anyone read the manual? No wonder new people have problems with boats
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Well Jim, the boat manual says one thing and the esc manual says another. It was a little unclear for some newbies. The jist is that the esc will handle all types of batteries.......but it doesn't say with proper programming, but I believe we all figured that out by now. I've flown brushless airplanes for years and knew this, but if I by a new rc plane, it comes set for lipo as the default. I was kind of suprised that the proboat wasn't set the same way because I'm thinking the majority of people who run this boat will be running lipo, hence, the default should be lipo from the factory.

...because I'm thinking the majority of people who run this boat will be running lipo, hence, the default should be lipo from the factory.
    That premise isn't true... As it turns out, the majority of people actually run NiMH still (sport boaters) and they run REALLY crappy ones at that... Some actually complain because of the LVC for NiMH is even there, and when their crappy NiMH cells get pulled down under the load, the boat stutters...

I can ask them to have future manuals a little more clear on the default settings, if this one isn't already.

I haven't read it myself... OH, but then, I didn't need to... I designed the boat! Hehehehe...

Glad you got your answer... now get out there and enjoy running her!

Default New boat

My friend got his today. And thanks Steve for getting the correct flex shaft out quickly to him so we can run Sunday. He did comment that since the replacement shaft is just a hair bigger it is a tight fit in the collet. He opened up the collet some to get it in. Some pictures showing it compared to his SuperVeeR.

Stringfly <>++++++
    Attached Images Attached Images

It should be about 1mm longer. ProBoat is running a thrust style washer in between the drive dog and strut, with very little to no extra space. This will work fine, but adding a tad more space in this area will allow the flex cable to shorten under load a bit and the cable will last longer.
    Steven Vaccaro

Andy,

Any update on the replacement cables?

My OSE cable got screwed up by USPS, should have been here Tuesday, but now Friday if I'm lucky. Darn, it was 2 hours away in Des Moines, IA. Now it is in PA. What a joke.

Yes there is!

There's a limited supply coming in shortly. After they are QA'd they will be sent out FIRST COME FIRST SERVE basis. To get in line, go to this page http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB4100 click on "Important Product Bulletin" (top right corner). Follow the instructions there. Use the e-mail one for highest priority!

The next shipment will be a couple weeks later and will go through the same process.

Andy

Awesome, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
    Yes there is!

There's a limited supply coming in shortly. After they are QA'd they will be sent out FIRST COME FIRST SERVE basis. To get in line, go to this page http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB4100 click on "Important Product Bulletin" (top right corner). Follow the instructions there. Use the e-mail one for highest priority!

The next shipment will be a couple weeks later and will go through the same process.

Andy
    Should I get on that list too???

Thanks for updating everyone, Andy!

sure darin use your connections to get a free one lol

No, Darin, you can keep using the new secret weapon cable

Andy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast