Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attn: New Geico Owners

Default Attn: New Geico Owners

I just got in my new Geico Cat. Please check the direction of the flexcable. Mine came in with clockwise rotation cable. Counterclockwise is what the prop needs.

Just a Heads Up!!!!
    * BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

Quote Originally Posted by tth View Post
    I just got in my new Geico Cat. Please check the direction of the flexcable. Mine came in with clockwise rotation cable. Counterclockwise is what the prop needs.

Just a Heads Up!!!!
    Wow, good heads up. Did you contact HH or PB?
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Wow, good heads up. Did you contact HH or PB?
    Interesting... and not cool.

I'll e-mail ProBoat right away...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Interesting... and not cool.

I'll e-mail ProBoat right away...
    Do you think this is what could have caused the issue on the other thread with the flexcable being seized in the teflon? Mine should be here soon, I ordered monday from HH so soon as I get it I will for sure check mine. I normally always check the lube on the shaft and the hardware when I get them.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Do you think this is what could have caused the issue on the other thread with the flexcable being seized in the teflon?
    If it's the wrong rotation cable, certainly...

I'll have to look at mine when I get home and see what the cable is in it.

Everyone else should do the same and report here... Would be good to know if it's a global, or intermittent issue...

Just a Heads Up!!!!
    Awesome catch - I am taking mine out tomorrow for the first time. Just to be sure, what is the best way to tell it is wound counterclockwise?

I'll try to inspect mine tomorrow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by airman66285 View Post
    Awesome catch - I am taking mine out tomorrow for the first time. Just to be sure, what is the best way to tell it is wound counterclockwise?

You should be able to see some of the cable hear the coupler on the motor... The prop should rotate to the left. If the rotation of the strands around the cable are going counter-clockwise and you move down the length of the flex, they are reversed (right-hand) rotation. If they are clock-wise, they are standard, left-hand rotation.

The strands should be in TENSION when the prop is rotating the correct direction, tightening the cable wrap. If it's reversed, it will be trying to unwind the cable wrap, making the cable a larger diameter, and seizing in the stuffing tube, if not outright breaking.

I just put together a quick picture to illustrate...
    Attached Images Attached Images

You should be able to see some of the cable hear the coupler on the motor... The prop should rotate to the left. If the rotation of the strands around the cable are going counter-clockwise and you move down the length of the flex, they are reversed (right-hand) rotation. If they are clock-wise, they are standard, left-hand rotation.

The strands should be in TENSION when the prop is rotating the correct direction, tightening the cable wrap. If it's reversed, it will be trying to unwind the cable wrap, making the cable a larger diameter, and seizing in the stuffing tube, if not outright breaking.

That is what I thought as well but I wanted to be sure. Thank you for the illustration. I will check when I leave the office and report back to this thread ASAP with my personal findings. My fingers are crossed...

DAMNIT! Mine is reversed too - now what?
    Anyone else?

I just asked a local noobie to check his; his is correct.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    I just asked a local noobie to check his; his is correct.
    This sucks big time! I was going to run mine tomorrow for the maiden voyage. I am trying to get through to Proboat right now to no avail...

So some are correct some are not. Is their anyway to narrow it down to a certain shipment or location, tth and airman where did you guys purchase from? I bought from HH, but haven't received it yet. I will list my findings asap.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

So some are correct some are not. Is their anyway to narrow it down to a certain shipment or location, tth and airman where did you guys purchase from? I bought from HH, but haven't received it yet. I will list my findings asap.
    I live in Brooklyn Park, MN and bought mine at Hobbytown USA and they purchased their lot from Horizon Hobby directly. I can't get through to HH or PB right now via telephone.

Got ya, I suppose HH would ship directly to individuals & sellers. Maybe it's a hit or miss, luck of the draw thing. Crazy that happened. I'm anxious to see what mine is.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Got ya, I suppose HH would ship directly to individuals & sellers. Maybe it's a hit or miss, luck of the draw thing. Crazy that happened. I'm anxious to see what mine is.
    BAD NEWS! I just spoke with a tech rep from PB and he ordered me a new flex shaft BUT they are back ordered and they have no idea when they are going to have them in stock. We now have a neon yellow paperweight. I will check with Steve at OSE and see if I can fabricate a new one instead. MAJOR BUMMER!

That sucks I will just have to order a new cable and cut it myself then. Is that .130 or .150 flex cable?
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Yep, order from Steve, you'll have it ASAP! This does suck though.

Mine is reversed as well. It's a standard .150" sized flex with 3/16" stub, so if you happen to have any material, you can use that.

If you have a reversed one, ProBoat told me that they are offering replacements that they will be expedited airfreight. Not sure the timeline, but they told me they are jumping into this with both feet to try to resolve the issue. Strange problem. The manufacturer has been making these for YEARs, so this is a silly mistake on their part. Wish I would have had a pre-production sample. Might have caught this earlier.

I'm anxious to see what mine is.
    Please let us know... I would like to see how widespread this issue is. Stupid mistake!

so mine is also the wrong way, probably explaining why it seized up. good thing i already contacted proboat and i have new parts on the way.

i think i'll wait for the"Hull only" to be available, then build it myself hehe

By all indications, this is a very, very nice boat coming from a company that builds some very solid stuff. I'm sure that this incident is causing some heads to roll somewhere, and the experience I've had with HH is that they'll do the max to make things right. Once sorted out, this should be a real nice addition to the fleet.
    It's possible that many of the impatient grumblings about getting this boat to market may have forced a rush to produce before all the ducks were in a row- Hey, what's a flex cable between friends anyway? Easy for me to say, I know, but hey, I popped a cable at the lake last week on my LSO rig; pulled a spare out of the box & got it running again Yup this shouldn't happen on a new boat I'll agree but once handled this has gotta be the best rtr out.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Same here Tony. I just wanted to get the message out for others to watch out. HH in the past has backed their prods 100%. I make my own shafts anyways.
    * BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

Same here Tony. I just wanted to get the message out for others to watch out. HH in the past has backed their prods 100%. I make my own shafts anyways.
    Thanks, man. I really didn't want to intrude where I don't belong, but the Geico has me wondering if I could fit one in my fleet , it looks so promising for a Spec LSO boat! The last time I raced a Cat in LSO was WWIII in AZ and I really sucked - this boat could be a winner, I'm thinking, and I'd love to see how it'll do - methinks very well.

Oh, speaking of intruding, got any vids of that fine Intruder in your avatar ?

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Thanks, man. I really didn't want to intrude where I don't belong, but the Geico has me wondering if I could fit one in my fleet , it looks so promising for a Spec LSO boat! The last time I raced a Cat in LSO was WWIII in AZ and I really sucked - this boat could be a winner, I'm thinking, and I'd love to see how it'll do - methinks very well.

Oh, speaking of intruding, got any vids of that fine Intruder in your avatar ?

Look in the video section. I posted a couple about two weeks ago. She is another sweet @$$ boat. She is the one that made me get cat scratch fever!!!
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 09-05-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Just checked mine...it's wrong too. Guess I'll be calling PB on Tuesday.

Mine is wrong as well. Guess I'm screwed this weekend and to think I spent a bunch of extra money on overpriced batteries so I could run it this weekend.
    Last edited by tman52804; 09-03-2010 at 09:31 PM.

i stopped by the local hobby shop and we unboxed the 3 that they had and all were wrong and pulled from the shelves until the right parts arrive.
    i build race cars, and play w fast boats, i think the boats are less of a headache
    http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/h...amaro/scc4.jpg

Just got mine tonight, from here at OSE. It's got the reversed cable as well. Well, ain't this wonnnnerful! Great looking boat though!

In-d-boat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast