Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Stiletto First Run w/New Boat

I'll give it a try as soon as chuck sends it back. Do have one new in package. Should I use it raw or just wait for balanced etc one?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    I'll give it a try as soon as chuck sends it back. Do have one new in package. Should I use it raw or just wait for balanced etc one?

I would never use a raw prop... especially an Octura. Wait for a sharpened/balanced one.

In the meantime, a Grim/ABC 42x55 is also a good prop. You can bend some more pitch into it slowly as you build up to speed...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Knowing nothing about working over a prop I take it a grim needs work also before use

Knowing nothing about working over a prop I take it a grim needs work also before use

The Grim props can generally be used for general use right out of the box. They still should be sharpened and balanced, but can be run as they come.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Beryllium Copper is nasty stuff...

If you're going to work on props just make absolutely sure you're protected, this means goggles, respirator (not just a simple mask), gloves, long sleeves shirts

And make sure you clean the area and wash your clothes right after you're done.

The guide here on OSE is the best I could find:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/inf...andbalance.php

PS: But I should add: the warning at the bottom of the guide should really be at the beginning, including suggestions on how to protect yourself.
    Last edited by GP73; 09-17-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: post scriptum

I made two runs yesterday with the 42 X 55 prop. I should have given more detail. I have 5.5mm bullets on everything. I ran the boat for 4min each time. 4s 2p 5000mah 40c thunderpower lipo's. Full throttle except I slowed way down in the corners (chicken effect). My heat index for electronics was high, ESC 142 batts 128.My connectors were 172 deg but hold up fine at that temp. I also live in Arizona and it was 106 degrees that day. No temp on motor. I thinking of running without the motor cover for a run and see what the temps are with 42 x 55 prop.

keep us advised on that temp with a 42x55 as i ordered one today lol...

Quote Originally Posted by ALD View Post
    I made two runs yesterday with the 42 X 55 prop. I should have given more detail. I have 5.5mm bullets on everything. I ran the boat for 4min each time. 4s 2p 5000mah 40c thunderpower lipo's. Full throttle except I slowed way down in the corners (chicken effect). My heat index for electronics was high, ESC 142 batts 128.My connectors were 172 deg but hold up fine at that temp. I also live in Arizona and it was 106 degrees that day. No temp on motor. I thinking of running without the motor cover for a run and see what the temps are with 42 x 55 prop.
    Seems like your running a nice set-up good choice on the batts and run time and good job with the 5.5's. Due to the heat outside maybe cut the runtime down by a minute on such a hot day and disconnect the bec and run a rx pack my help. Are you running 1 lipo or 2 paralell?
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

I'm running 2s 2pack in series. Stacked toward the front.

If your going to run 42 x 55. I would advise cutting holes in engine cover and 5.5 connectors everywhere. When you use your throttle start real slow.
    The boat is a rocket. I cut the steering travel to 90% and used 20% expo. Have not tried turning at high speed yet. I also tested boat with stock sharpend/balance prop and ran much better and little quicker. Easy to learn on. The big prop is scary fast but down the straights tracks true.

Quote Originally Posted by GP73 View Post
    Beryllium Copper is nasty stuff...

If you're going to work on props just make absolutely sure you're protected, this means goggles, respirator (not just a simple mask), gloves, long sleeves shirts

And make sure you clean the area and wash your clothes right after you're done.

The guide here on OSE is the best I could find:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/inf...andbalance.php

PS: But I should add: the warning at the bottom of the guide should really be at the beginning, including suggestions on how to protect yourself.

I've taken your suggestions and added them. Thanks. Here is how it reads now.

Warning- Potential Cancer hazard!
    Take caution when working with Beryllium Cooper! Activities such as grinding, sanding, polishing or any activity which abrades the surface will cause airborne dust particles. These Beryllium Cooper particles are highly toxic! There are dangers involved with inhaling dust or fumes. It can cause serious, chronic lung disease in some individuals. Over time lung disease can be fatal!

If you're going to work on these propellers make absolutely sure you're protected, this means proper eyewear, a high quality respirator (not just a simple cloth mask), gloves, long sleeves shirts. Immediately after your work is completed, proper cleaning of the your work area is also suggested.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I have to get my props back from Egneg. I don't want him to DIE!
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

ya he must be busy cause he has one of mine also....

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    I have to get my props back from Egneg. I don't want him to DIE!
    Well, he prepared 2 props for me too, I didn't ask, but I assumed (and surely I hope) he uses proper protection when working on them.

I would feel horrible if anything were to happen to anyone just for my hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I've taken your suggestions and added them. Thanks. Here is how it reads now.

just got back from lake......set linear and high lipo cut off in with stock prop......probably ran as fast as it did the other day with the 440/3 prop (got very hot with 440) no heat issues at all wires were barly warm to touch same with esc baily warm with 5 min of running never hit lipo cut off..all and all it was a good time..wish there were more of em to run with here.....cant wait to try new 642 prop ( when it gets here) hopefully no heat with it also and alot more speed.... what ya think darin? will it get hot with the 642 or just warm?

I'm running the x440/3 prop and having good results my deans get a little warm but no problems,all I did was buy the prop and put it on with no modification.I run 2 5000 2s packs stacked in the front for best results,boat is still a little slow but hey it is stock got 41mph!

how long are u running it for? my wires were touching the plastic battery cover and formed there intdentions in there they were so warm...one deans plug on battery side came unsoldered i have to think it was warm and a bad joint. couldnt get temps as it was stuck out in lake for 20 min or so befored i waded out for it

Just make sure you stop to let everything cool once in a while,I don't run it full all the time.My run time is about 10 minutes total

i have two sets of batteries the one that got hot has about the same gage wire as the esc..the ones i ran today had much larger gage wires maybe that helped......ill run the 440 again with this set and see...i know the 440 ran much faster then stock prop...waiting on my 642 prop from chuck to give it a try....it works wonders with the mg they say..

I've got a couple of short clips running a Grim Racer 40x52/3 prop, I'm glad I managed to take them before the flex shaft broke.

I'll see if I can post them tomorrow.

Since I'm still waiting for the last packs to finish charging I thought I would post one of the clip on YouTube.

BTW, the size of that pond is about 100m in that direction, by my calculations I'm leaving about 10m or so at each end and covering the rest in about 4secs.

So we have ~80m in 4 sec = 20 m/s = ~45 mph give or take.

Can't wait to see what the x437/3 de-tongued does.
    Last edited by GP73; 09-20-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heli123 View Post
    I'm running the x440/3 prop and having good results my deans get a little warm but no problems,all I did was buy the prop and put it on with no modification.I run 2 5000 2s packs stacked in the front for best results,boat is still a little slow but hey it is stock got 41mph!
    Laddie, that is a big mistake, Octura props must be ballanced and sharpened as documented by Darin. Also 3 bladed props are a bear to ballance
    Douggie
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 09-20-2010 at 02:50 AM.

Anyone having a vid of a Stiletto running turns?
    Joern Markset

Fokus Racing

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456