Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stiletto First Run w/New Boat

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    I doubt you've tried EVERYTHING. What props have you ran. You mention a x440. That is a small prop with minimal pitch.
    I was the one that mentioned the X440 and that's the only prop I've tried since that's what I had available, I haven't tried the stock prop and I have ordered a X437/3 but I'm not sure when that will be here.

What do you suggest? X642? Darin mentioned good results with the X440/3...

BTW, I'm ok with the current speed with the X440. I wanted to try the stock prop but it's not sharpened/balanced and I then I had to fix the gelcoat...

I suggest you look at the drivetrain and did you check it out prior to running it the first time.

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Why are you applying gelcoat and how are you doing it?

Douggie
    Check post #43 on this thread for the damage on my hull, I've re-uploaded the picture.

How am I doing it? With a lot of sandpaper...

So far: sand (220), clean, apply gelcoat, dry, re-sand (220), re-clean, re-apply.

Tomorrow: final sanding (220,400, wet 600), polishing.

BTW, I've just noticed in the picture: see how the gelcoat on the left side of the chip casts a shadow on the fiberglass? Looks like a pocket of air to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GP73 View Post
    Check post #43 on this thread for the damage on my hull, I've re-uploaded the picture.

How am I doing it? With a lot of sandpaper...

So far: sand (220), clean, apply gelcoat, dry, re-sand (220), re-clean, re-apply.

Tomorrow: final sanding (220,400, wet 600), polishing.

BTW, I've just noticed in the picture: see how the gelcoat on the left side of the chip casts a shadow on the fiberglass? Looks like a pocket of air to me.
    Interesting repair and as previously mentioned what other props do you own. No defects on my hull, apart from my blueprinting.

Douggie

I suggest you look at the drivetrain and did you check it out prior to running it the first time.

Douggie
    First thing I did; to grease the flexshaft. No issues there, but still running with the teflon tubing.

Just to be clear, I don't know how fast it goes, I'm sure it would be much better with a X440/3, but I'm not the one complaining about the speed.

It's fast enough for me as it is. At least for now.

I'm more concerned about the gelcoat coming off, it's a of work to fix and I'd rather spend my time doing better things that getting intoxicated by MEKP (yes, I used proper protection ).

Interesting repair and as previously mentioned what other props do you own. No defects on my hull, apart from my blueprinting.

Douggie
    I have the stock prop and a X438, I've ordered a X437/3 a few weeks back, hoping it would be here in time for the Stiletto, but it's not ready yet.

guess i was lucky mine was perfect...does have a few tiny chips in it now but that was all me lol

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    guess i was lucky mine was perfect...does have a few tiny chips in it now but that was all me lol
    Yeah, that might be just my luck, every time I buy a new foam plane I get some warped or scratched piece in the box...

But they are far easier to fix than gelcoat.

I have the stock prop and a X438, I've ordered a X437/3 a few weeks back, hoping it would be here in time for the Stiletto, but it's not ready yet.
    An X438 and a X437/3.....HMMMMMMM

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by heli123 View Post
    Great looking boat can't get it to go more than 35mph on a single 45c 4s pack,may try 5s but don't want to burn anything out.There is no way to get over 40mph on this boat unless you change out the electronics.I have tried everything!
    What prop are you running?

Can you take a side view photograph (close up is great) showing the height of the prop and the angle it's at?

What cells are you using? How new are they?

What part of NJ? I moved from Phillipsburg (I-78/US-22 @ Delaware River) about 2 years ago.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

An X438 and a X437/3.....HMMMMMMM

Douggie

That's very.... HMMMMMM

The X438 and X437/3 were supposed to go on the Surge Flusher, to keep the motor/esc a little cooler. But I guess I can try the X437/3 on the Stiletto before going to bigger props?

Guys... First... this hull is NOT gel-coated... that's white paint. Very heavily laid on, white paint.

As for speeds... I did some bench testing of the motors this weekend and found some interesting info.

The testing was done with the following setup:

Battery: 4S1P ThunderPower 45C 5000mah pack
    ESC: Castle Hydro 240
    Timing: 0
    Load: 6x3.5" Plastic/Carbon Airplane Prop.

Under this test setup, the motor actually registers 1885KV, and a little over 31,000 RPM unloaded. With the load (airplane prop), the motor dropped to 1703KV, just shy of 27,000RPM, pulled 35.55Amps, and the output was 562 Watts.

For comparison, the Geico motor registers 1460KV and 24,100RPM unloaded, and 1399KV, 22,500RPM, 18.84Amps, and 304Watts with the SAME load.

What this tells us is that the price for the additional KV is torque, so you will NOT be able to turn the same large props. It's more like the UL-1 motor, where it climbs in WATTS quickly as you add load, so you need to turn a smaller prop, with less pitch.

This actually puts the Stiletto setup more inline with the Nitro equivalent, so working with props more similiar in size to what they would use is in order. I tried an X440/3, pitched up slightly, and backcut about .030"... slightly cupped as well. Motor temps were very reasonable (around 108), so it can handle more, but I will increment it up slowly, because my race props for my BJ motor get the motor temps up to dangerous levels and overheat the wire leads. Speeds really aren't appreciably faster either. Just adding load to the motor.

SO, play around with some of the smaller props and see what you come up with. I'm thinking something in the 40-42mm range will be a good place to start, though the 37mm 3-blades might be workable as well.

As for setup. Set the stub shaft centerline about 1/8"-3/16" above the sponson bottoms, neutral or just SLIGHTLY up angle (aft higher than front to lift the nose), and start from there. I prefer it to be dead neutral to start, so as not to have the prop height change as the unit steers. Mine seems to work best with the 4400mah or 5000 mah pack, mounted all the way forward, and I also added 1oz of lead to the nose. That's the setup in the video posted in my Race Prep thread, and the boat is certainly breaking 40mph there (I'm estimating more like 45 or so)

SLOW the steering down, lower the throw as well. You don't need much to get this to turn. Then learn to balance the throttle.

Hopefully this gives you a good place to start from. Let me know how it goes.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Thank you for the update Darin!
    and I just relized I have a DX2.0 radio for my Losi-8T that should work with this boat
    and Darin, will two of these in series fit just fine? I have 6 of them
    http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=11614
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    I don't see why not... there is a TON of room for cells in this boat. Should be pretty easy to fit dual motors in there as well... There should be a good supply of right-hand turn flex shafts out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I don't see why not... there is a TON of room for cells in this boat. Should be pretty easy to fit dual motors in there as well... There should be a good supply of right-hand turn flex shafts out there!
    Are we talking about the Stiletto?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Are we talking about the Stiletto?
    HAHAHAHAHAHa... Ooops... wrong thread! Got confused with the MG!

ON the Stiletto, YES, there is still should be room for a pair of 5000's like that. If they aren't too long, you can lay them end-to-end in the bottom. You may find the weight works out better if you stack them toward the front, however.

Sorry... it was late when I posted that previously.

Well ok I did not try everything I think my esc might be limited not getting full throttle,I need to figure out if I'm getting full throttle.Need to look more into the esc setup.I like running at 35 anyway anymore your looking for a flip.Also at 35 mph lake was a little rough,been windy lately here in NJ.I will wait for flat water and run it again,so again I take that comment back that I Quote Tried everything!

Guys... First... this hull is NOT gel-coated... that's white paint. Very heavily laid on, white paint.
    NOW you tell me!

Oh well, whatever works to fix that hole. Could you find out which kind of paint we should use for repairs?

Thank you for the update Darin!
    and I just relized I have a DX2.0 radio for my Losi-8T that should work with this boat
    I have these and they work just fine: http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10277 (Turnigy 5200mAh 2S 30C Hard-Case Car Lipo Pack)

You can put the horizontal or vertical, either way they fit.

HAHAHAHAHAHa... Ooops... wrong thread! Got confused with the MG!

ON the Stiletto, YES, there is still should be room for a pair of 5000's like that. If they aren't too long, you can lay them end-to-end in the bottom. You may find the weight works out better if you stack them toward the front, however.

Sorry... it was late when I posted that previously.

They work much better in the front, the boat is way more stable while cornering (using the start setup that you mentioned few posts earlier).

darin are u saying to put both 2 cells side by side in the front of the battery compartment? interesting lol

I was having the same issue w/ESC. I bought a programing card and re-programed to Darins specs. NO change ,same speed. I adjusted boat to Darin specs. No change. Used a 40mm 3 blade carbon prop ,no change in speed. No GPS but I would guess 30ish for speed with or without stock prop.

They work much better in the front, the boat is way more stable while cornering (using the start setup that you mentioned few posts earlier).
    That's whay he is the man!

Quote Originally Posted by ALD View Post
    I was having the same issue w/ESC. I bought a programing card and re-programed to Darins specs. NO change ,same speed. I adjusted boat to Darin specs. No change. Used a 40mm 3 blade carbon prop ,no change in speed. No GPS but I would guess 30ish for speed with or without stock prop.
    What cells are you using? How many cycles on them?

Andy

hey andy mine is very slow also with new 5000/40c lipos with 2 cycles on them....going to stack em in front of battery as darin suggests and see what happens...also putting a x440 3 blade on it this moring to see whats up there.....but havent gone to liner throtle till i get it set up better ....i was amazed that this motor will run underwater lol

also i have a friend with dx3.0..older model no sticker with a boat on it....he says it will be fine with his mr3000 rx (or whatever the number is with the boat) what can he expect? no bind or no range or what? thanks

The MR3000 won't work unless the Tx has a boat on it (airplane tx's work with Marine too).

The nice part about running BL motors underwater is that it doesn't kill your brushes :)

Andy

You guys... if you are programming the ESC to "Logarithm" mode, you are only getting about 80% Throttle... Set it to linear....

Well guys just snapped my greased flex shaft,under warranty no big deal but should not happen had to swim for the boat today
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why is the end square?

OOPs. Sorry. I thought I was looking at the Geico thread.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast