Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stiletto First Run w/New Boat

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by ALD View Post
    Question? The hatch attaches with two dowels in the front. After a run when I remove the drain plug some water comes out (not alot but enough) is this normal ?

Can the Stilleto handle a grimracer 42x55 metal prop?
    I put some clear silicone in those holes on mine, then pressed it in with the dowls. I'm not sure if they are totally sealed or not from the factory. They should be, but ???

I also sealed around all of the water lines on mine, and around the wires. They pass through double-hull sections, so if any water gets past them, it can get down inside the hull.

Mine stays dry inside now.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

EndPointAdjust = servo travel = same thing

Id ask Darin ( the designer of this boat ) if there are setup tips for the ESC.

Quote Originally Posted by ALD View Post
    Not sure what EPA is on a radio. I have a Dx3s surface radio. I'm thinking adjust the throttle travel to 120%. Correct ?
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Unhappy

Oh well, I knew this was going to happen... I chipped the gelcoat on the tip of the left sponson.

Don't ask me how since I have NO idea, I didn't see the missing gelcoat when I got her out of the car, so I must have hit something at home.

I'll try to get some supply at a local marine supply store. Any suggestions for a gelcoat repair kit? Should I use just gelcoat paste? Or epoxy? What about color matching?

It's a small chip, about the size of a small bean.

Thanks.

man, I wish this would bind to a DX6i
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    man, I wish this would bind to a DX6i
    It DOES!!

Compatible Aircraft Transmitters:
    JR12X
    JRX9303
    Spektrum DX8
    Spektrum DX7
    Spektrum DX7se
    Spektrum DX6i
    Spektrum DX5e
    Spektrum DSM2 Aircraft Module Systems

Darin, can you confirm the preset throttle curve for the ESC?

Quote Originally Posted by simo71 View Post
    Darin, can you confirm the preset throttle curve for the ESC?
    I've never heard of one being preset to the logarithm mode. In fact, I've never even used one in that mode. I can ask, but I'm certain it does NOT come pre-programmed in that mode. Should be linear.

I have noticed that the "steps" in the ESC are pretty large. Running at full throttle, then lightly backing off, results in a pretty decent drop in throttle. Typical RTR throttle curve.

Darin, I ordered a programing card for my new Stiletto. What do you recomend for settings? Thanks for the silicone tip. My other question is about the ESC. Factory setting set for beginner mode. 80% full throttle?

Thanks, I'll try that

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    It DOES!!

Compatible Aircraft Transmitters:
    JR12X
    JRX9303
    Spektrum DX8
    Spektrum DX7
    Spektrum DX7se
    Spektrum DX6i
    Spektrum DX5e
    Spektrum DSM2 Aircraft Module Systems
    yes!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

ALD... I really don't think that "beginner mode" is necessary for most people... in fact, on a tunnel, it may make it tough to balance the boat in the turns.

For the Stiletto, on the stock setup, I'd set the programming like this:

Battery Type: Lipo (assuming you are using Lipos)
    Cutoff Voltage: LOW
    Cutoff Type: Slow Down
    Brake: OFF
    Timing: LOW
    Throttle Curve: LINEAR

Try that and get used to running the boat. If your temps are good and all is happy, then you can try the HIGH timing setting, which MIGHT (jury is still out with this boat) give you a little more zip...

Here is the damage (if anyone cares).

I'm a very sad panda...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GP73; 09-11-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: re-uploaded picture

Default first run

had first run on smooth water.....ran great but no 40 mph for sure..... still needs motor angle and hight adjusted to a better position.....darin can u take a pic of your motor hight mounting screws pls and the angle of the motor? that would really help me......funny thing happened to me as i flipped the boat powering it up across its own wake......current going out....its a swim or just wait for it situation....i pull the throttle and the prop is touching the water and i power it in(about 20yds upside down...now i know it didnt do the motor any good underwater but will oil the barrings etc and hopefully it will be fine as i ran it for 5 mins after that and ran fine.....

will these take full speed turns?

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    will these take full speed turns?
    In stock trim, certainly... flies through the turns...

When you start proping up, and get it up to race speeds, you have to do a little more balancing in the turns. Basically, ease off a tad to set it into the turn, then squeeze it back to full throttle, easing off here and there if it starts "flying" in the turn (pushing to the outside).

That's just been my experience thus far, but mine is still not quite dialed in to a comfortable place for me to drive it. Also, that's a description of trying to drive a race-course, with 35' radius turns, holding lane one. If you turn a little wider, you can flat-out it. What can happen, however, is if you set it down too hard entering the turn, and try to add too much steering input too quickly, it can grab the outside sponson and tumble/roll to the outside.

Takes a little setup, timing and finisse to get it just right, which is part of the fun, and frustration, of driving tunnels...

I think thats why people enjoy racing tunnels so much. Watch some footage of the F1's (1:1) & they have the same response if a driver is being over aggressive when entering a turn etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    In stock trim, certainly... flies through the turns...

When you start proping up, and get it up to race speeds, you have to do a little more balancing in the turns. Basically, ease off a tad to set it into the turn, then squeeze it back to full throttle, easing off here and there if it starts "flying" in the turn (pushing to the outside).

That's just been my experience thus far, but mine is still not quite dialed in to a comfortable place for me to drive it. Also, that's a description of trying to drive a race-course, with 35' radius turns, holding lane one. If you turn a little wider, you can flat-out it. What can happen, however, is if you set it down too hard entering the turn, and try to add too much steering input too quickly, it can grab the outside sponson and tumble/roll to the outside.

Takes a little setup, timing and finisse to get it just right, which is part of the fun, and frustration, of driving tunnels...
    Darin has giving a great answer about full speed turns with an O/B tunnel hull. This hull or any other O/B tunnel hull requires you to DRIVE the boat. This hull type isn't like most others where you can "throw" it in to a corner and expect it to sling shot around with out upsetting the hull. Racing these hulls WILL teach you how to manage your throttle thru the turns and teach you how to set up a boat. If your set up is a little off you will know it. However, once you hit that sweet spot.... man-o-man these tunnel hulls are a blast to drive and race...

Later,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by simo71 View Post
    I think thats why people enjoy racing tunnels so much. Watch some footage of the F1's (1:1) & they have the same response if a driver is being over aggressive when entering a turn etc.
    full size racing is killer
    I love watching those in person

Ok folks. I have made several runs with the stiletto and found that this boat instock form can not due 40mph. Without a GPS I would guess at around 30mph. Being fairly new to boats and tunnels this speed is perfect to learn how to drive a tunnel. Anything faster at this point for me, would be frustrating. Spin outs in turns etc. I re-programed the ESC and calibrated my DX3s. This boat is so much fun to drive and learn at a relaxing speed. I'm sure in time, I will upgrade motor/esc/ prop for speed, but for now, great boat and lots of fun!!!!!!!!!! Test made using 4s 2pack 5300 25C lip"s.
    Last edited by ALD; 09-10-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Add info

When I ran it last weekend I noticed mine was a little slow as well, but I thought I didn't set the motor angle properly. That was with an X440, I haven't tried the stock prop.

I just finished applying the first layer of gelcoat to mine, hopefully it will be ready for Sunday!

BTW, I've found other areas of the sponson where the gelcoat is slightly raised and if I gently press on it it flexes, I guess it didn't adhere completely to the fiberglass, I wouldn't be surprised if other cracks were to 'magically' appear on those spots.

Something to check on your Stilettos I guess.

Tunnel boats are very hard to setup. I just received my Stiletto and looks very well built. I was not looking for the fastest boat on the planet, just a very cool looking F1 tunnel with what appears is a neat outboard power source and not some apendage that is but ugly.

Douggie

Yes, it is a very cool looking boat. I trimmed mine according to the instructions. I tried trimming the motor up (away from transom) a little and that was a huge mistake. boat fliped and very unstable.Taking awhile to learn how to drive. I added a lot of expo and cut the travel down on steering and I find that setup to be very forgiving. I use 4s lipo 2pack so unable to adj cog. I think a4s lipo single pack would be a better fit for adjusment.

Quote Originally Posted by GP73 View Post
    When I ran it last weekend I noticed mine was a little slow as well, but I thought I didn't set the motor angle properly. That was with an X440, I haven't tried the stock prop.

I just finished applying the first layer of gelcoat to mine, hopefully it will be ready for Sunday!

BTW, I've found other areas of the sponson where the gelcoat is slightly raised and if I gently press on it it flexes, I guess it didn't adhere completely to the fiberglass, I wouldn't be surprised if other cracks were to 'magically' appear on those spots.

Something to check on your Stilettos I guess.
    Why are you applying gelcoat and how are you doing it?

Douggie

Great looking boat can't get it to go more than 35mph on a single 45c 4s pack,may try 5s but don't want to burn anything out.There is no way to get over 40mph on this boat unless you change out the electronics.I have tried everything!

If it can keep up with a VS-1 with modified legs and apparently it does, it is fast. Speed, stability and handling are all relative

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by heli123 View Post
    Great looking boat can't get it to go more than 35mph on a single 45c 4s pack,may try 5s but don't want to burn anything out.There is no way to get over 40mph on this boat unless you change out the electronics.I have tried everything!
    any pics of your setup
    sounds like your doing it wrong

i think if mine had gelcoat blisters and chips comeing off id be on the phone to horizon right away for a new hull...it wont get better only worse with blisters....

Quote Originally Posted by heli123 View Post
    I doubt you've tried EVERYTHING. What props have you ran. You mention a x440. That is a small prop with minimal pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    i think if mine had gelcoat blisters and chips comeing off id be on the phone to horizon right away for a new hull...it wont get better only worse with blisters....
    There were some minor scratches around the area, I believe I did scratch it and that made the blister break and the gelcoat come out. The fiberglass under the chip looked nice and clean.

I've fixed it now and I'll be more careful, if any more gelcoat comes off without reason I'll contact them and see what they can do.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have noticed any "blisters" on theirs.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast