Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Miss Geico Race Prep

Default bounce gone......

Miss G was flying today !!!! Love that X642 prop (I think it makes all the difference in battery placement). Just floating on air and air finally got me with a blow out, up, up and away. A wind gust (10 to 15mph today) blew her out and up but she was running just great. All bounce was GONE !!!. Probably in lower 40's but may go with 5s if stock ESC can handle it. Can anyone tell me ?

Some pics of my set up. The rear of the 5000 cased 2s lipos (9.6 ounces,274 grams) right now are 6 1/4" in front of the back of the transom. Just even with the rear of the right battery tray. (left tray is further back). Strut is 3/32 above bracket, level. Rudder bracket is basically flush with top of transom/strut brakets.

Note on the drive strut. I put a straight edge on the rear ride pad (my pads have VERY slight dips or recesses in them so they are really pretty nice and flat, I lucked out I guess) and sight the straight drive shaft. With my strut above the bracket (3/32) the drive shaft is 0 degress up or down inline with the rear ride pad.

I'm still a newbe with all this set up stuff so any comments are welcome but Miss G is working great now.

Stringfly <>+++++
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is that an all teflon bushing f or your wire drive?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Default bushing

Yes, teflon bushing that came with boat .

Stringfly <>+++++

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Is that an all teflon bushing f or your wire drive?
    Actually... it's just a thrust washer... the bushings in the strut are brass, or appear to be brass anyhow.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Woops... yes a thrust washer.... nylon maybe ?

Stringfly <>++++

I removed it.

Well, I left mine. I do have probably to much gap for it to really work even with the flex shortening while running. Guess the motor bearings can take all the thrust ???? May get a thrust bearing for the motor though. What's everyones thoughts ??

Stringfly <>++++

ok so do the battery'sgo in the tray or back or front? with em in the back mine hopps bad...next tie out they go in the trays in stock position....please hop be gone lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

My hull has been stuck in customs for the last week.....
    Nortavlag Bulc

Hey everyone. Love this boat! I'm now running on 5s, with a x447 prop. Super smooth and sooo fast!!
    When on 4s, I noticed the wires from the ESC were really hot. So I put a 12 gauge piece in between the two deans plugs. Wires were cold, as well as the motor and such. Water is freezing already so I'm sure that helps.
    But now that I'm on 5s, the motor wires got hot now, so hot in fact, the de-soldered from a bullet and left the boat dead in the water. I thought I blew the ESC, but it was only mildly warm.
    Was about to try another speed control, when I noticed the wire was hanging out!! After re soldering it, it's fine, and not nearly as hot for some reason?? Maybe cause of lack of solder?
    Anyway, just reporting some things I've experienced so far. Other than that, this boat ROCKS!
    Handles like a dream. My buddy with his bj26 is very jealous now, and looking at getting one of the best boats I've seen!!
    Excellent job on this one!!

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
    Hey everyone. Love this boat! I'm now running on 5s, with a x447 prop. Super smooth and sooo fast!!
    When on 4s, I noticed the wires from the ESC were really hot. So I put a 12 gauge piece in between the two deans plugs. Wires were cold, as well as the motor and such. Water is freezing already so I'm sure that helps.
    But now that I'm on 5s, the motor wires got hot now, so hot in fact, the de-soldered from a bullet and left the boat dead in the water. I thought I blew the ESC, but it was only mildly warm.
    Was about to try another speed control, when I noticed the wire was hanging out!! After re soldering it, it's fine, and not nearly as hot for some reason?? Maybe cause of lack of solder?
    Anyway, just reporting some things I've experienced so far. Other than that, this boat ROCKS!
    Handles like a dream. My buddy with his bj26 is very jealous now, and looking at getting one of the best boats I've seen!!
    Excellent job on this one!!
    Get rid of the DEANS ASAP, also dump those 3.5mm bullets and I hope you dis-connected the bec on the esc when you ran 5s. Making those changes will make your boat a lot cooler and save your esc. This boat does
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

I sure did remove the BEC!! It seems to help even on 4s! Really on the deans? What should i use instead? Traxxas ones? As far as the bullets, 6.5mm ones?
    Had a blow over an hour ago, well a few of them, small crack in the hull now. I wondered why i had water in the hull? Also just noticed the stuffing tube going in to the hull also is about to come off. A little work is needed now

I sure did remove the BEC!! It seems to help even on 4s! Really on the deans? What should i use instead? Traxxas ones? As far as the bullets, 6.5mm ones?
    Had a blow over an hour ago, well a few of them, small crack in the hull now. I wondered why i had water in the hull? Also just noticed the stuffing tube going in to the hull also is about to come off. A little work is needed now
    100% on the deans MUST B GONE, then after you take them off throw them in the trash unless you have some planes or cars laying around. I use them on planes that about it. I use 5.5mm on EVERYTHING in my boats. 6.5 will work as well
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    100% on the deans MUST B GONE, then after you take them off throw them in the trash unless you have some planes or cars laying around. I use them on planes that about it. I use 5.5mm on EVERYTHING in my boats. 6.5 will work as well
    Oh, so you just use the bullets on everything, motor & batteries to speed control also?

Oh, so you just use the bullets on everything, motor & batteries to speed control also?
    YUP every wire on the esc, battery, motor gets a 5.5 on it. That's just me.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Sweet! Thanks, i know what I'm doing tomorrow.
    i will let you know how i make out with it

Hey Darin, I was thinking about what you were saying about the rudder bracket may be causing lift from prop wash today and you may be right. I noticed that I can still get the "wa wa" at certain speeds (Around 30 or so) A little faster and it goes away. Could it be going away because of the increased wind speed from going 50 instead of mid thirties, shortening the roostertail? Also when I get off throttle from top speed the rear kinda acts strange. Maybe this is why it likes a little more depth of strut???
    FE BOATING: Less like a hobby and more like an addiction!

Default Bec

If when running 5s you need to disconnect the bec (disable) then do you use a onboard receiver pack ????

Stringfly <>++++

Quote Originally Posted by stringfly View Post
    If when running 5s you need to disconnect the bec (disable) then do you use a onboard receiver pack ????

Stringfly <>++++
    Yes, onboard reciever pack.
    I am using a 850mah life pack. The 6.6 volt lipos. Works awesome. Even on 4s it seems to help it out a bit

Darin, how long is the hardware from transom to end of rudder? please, thanks!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Darin, how long is the hardware from transom to end of rudder? please, thanks!
    Hey, just grabbed my tape measure... If my eyes are correct, it looks like 4 1/8" or 103mm.

Just got my 642 back from chuck. Wow u can cut a stake with it. Nice Also. What is the bec you are talking about? Is everyone using the 642 or the 445 with 4 cell?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Hey, just grabbed my tape measure... If my eyes are correct, it looks like 4 1/8" or 103mm.
    Thanks buddy!

I just checked the inline hardware I have and its a 1/4" shorter... Should be O.k. I hope if not I can just buy the PB hardware after.

Great hull only! I'f I didn't have everything already would have enjoyed the RTR also, really nicely built.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Thanks buddy!

I just checked the inline hardware I have and its a 1/4" shorter... Should be O.k. I hope if not I can just buy the PB hardware after.

Great hull only! I'f I didn't have everything already would have enjoyed the RTR also, really nicely built.
    Ray... can you post a picture of your inline hardware?

I'm going to try offsetting the rudder on mine to see what the effect is. I think it will scrub less speeds in the turns, and my eliminate the "bouncing" that people are seeing, but I have to try it to see.

It's the hor inline hardware just drilled out and Lead teflon pressed in...

I had to drill the bracket holes out a bit with a 9/64 drill but, it looks clean, not butchered. I'll post some ppictures when I install more stuff...

I hear you on the inline hardware, always room for improvements, mods...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

I hear you on the inline hardware, always room for improvements, mods...

I think I have a way figured out to accomplish the rudder offset using all the stock pieces, with minimal mods... my favorite kind of mods!

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    Just got my 642 back from chuck. Wow u can cut a stake with it. Nice Also. What is the bec you are talking about? Is everyone using the 642 or the 445 with 4 cell?
    Yea I have used a x642 on it with 4 cell. Ran very nice, my video shows both 4s and 5s runs on a x642. The bec is the red wire on the lead that plugs into the rx and supplied the rx with power. Simply pull it out and run a seperate pack.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I think I have a way figured out to accomplish the rudder offset using all the stock pieces, with minimal mods... my favorite kind of mods!
    I was thinking about that too Darin. Maybe some stand off's ??
    Nortavlag Bulc

Odd.... my HOR cat does not bounce with inline rudder. Not sure that is really an issue but every boat is diiferent.

Could be a ratio of hull length vs rudder length..., the rudder on Miss G is the same size as HOR but, it's hull is shorter. I don't know this theory, I'm just a suposin'
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast