Thread: The newer Shultze 40.160

Default The newer Shultze 40.160

I know they made some design changes. Has anyone here run them? What is the good the bad and the ugly?
    Are they as robust as the older units??
    Thanks,
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Doug,

I had some teething problems at first with the new controllers (40.160 and 32.200), but after I left the stock programming as is they have run flawlessy.

I have pushed both of them pretty hard well over their rated capacity and and can safely say they are probably more bulletproof than the older models. The new ones have an internal temp sensor as part of the logging. When the sensor hits 120 or 130C it automatically ramps down like a LVC. Very nice feature and so far I've hit it several times with no failures. This occured in 2-lap set-up with big props and warm water conditions.

My experience has been if you leave all the settings to "auto" they work very reliably. If you change them, you do so at your own risk and I would advise against it. Thus far the auto settings have worked excellently.

To take full advantage of them, I would pick up the USB programmer(5V-ISO) so you can download data.

I cooked my 40.160 twice, one time was my fault due to an additioanl cap bank and the second time was due to me changing the timing settings off auto. It did not like that at all.

A bonus to the Schulze's is the abilty to repair them for a pretty reasonable cost and turn around time.

Tyler

Tyler, question for you- would you add more caps or run as is? I know some say to up them to 8 caps but I'd like to hear from you since you've run both versions.

Doug, give Terry Jr a call he has one.
    T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    Doug, give Terry Jr a call he has one.
    T.C.
    Ok, will you send me his # in a PM please sir. Thanks.

Thanks Tyler!!
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Don,

On the 40.160 I did go ahead and add extra caps because I run 1P set-ups for short races in hot set-ups. The extra caps are a bandaid for mediocre batteries, poor connectors and/or long battery cable lengths. If you run 2P with good batts, use solid connectors and keep battery cable lengths as short as possible it is not necessary to add the extra caps.

In comparison the 32.200 with factory cap count has roughly the same capacitnace as the 40.160 with extra caps due to the lower voltage (50V vs. 63V) and higher capacitance of its caps. For NAMBA and IMPBA legal classes the 32.200 is better suited than the 40.160 as we can only run up to 10S. The extra 40A continous rating goes a long way.

This pic shows the 40.160 with extra caps side by side with a stock 32.200.

The 40.303 has a lot of caps tucked under the casing.

Tyler

I know this has nothing to do with this thread but since its a active schulze thread I thought I would ask.... I am going to run two schulze 40-160 fut V16's watercooled speedys in a 54" mhz drambeui in ice cat with twin 2215 1.5y's.... I have a ton of lipos but because of my battery trays, etc., want to run 1p per motor and esc....

So my layout was going to be 8s1p Turnigy 5000mah 40c lipos to each schulze and 2215... then with a y adapter going to each speedo and then into the one reciever.....

I am going to start off running De-tongued,Back cut,Cupped to 3.6, and Mirror polished Counter Rotating X457's by Andy Brown...

So my question again is this setup ok for 3 minute runs.... or should I definately go 8s2p 10000mah as I do have the lipos on hand to do so..... and if any of you would like to estimate the speed for me I might expect with this setup that would be nice to hear what she might be capable of on 8s..... I know the props are on the conservative side but I am not racing or setting up for saw runs... I just want a nice reliable "Big" boat to run at our family compound on the "Big" lake...
    Last edited by JMSCARD; 09-01-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Doug,

I cooked my 40.160 twice, one time was my fault due to an additioanl cap bank and the second time was due to me changing the timing settings off auto. It did not like that at all.

A bonus to the Schulze's is the abilty to repair them for a pretty reasonable cost and turn around time.

Tyler
    Tyler very interesting, why did adding an additional cap bank cause a failure?

Edit woops ...Douggie refresh, refresh , refresh you moron

Douggie

I´m going to give mine input.

I bought a schulze 32-200 in order to substitute an damaged YGE200 NAVY.
    Until now didn´t had any better speed controller then the YGE, altough it was discontinuated.
    Now after the first update from V3.1 to V4,speed controller works flawlessly with the NEU 1527 1.5D and with the lehner 2250/5.
    Pushing the speed controller with the neu to 190 amps and speed controller never cutted off.

i think that issue here is about compatibilty between speed controllers and motors...while the YGE drived evrything, like the MGM does, the schulze doesn´t work good with the Scorpion HK 4035/800 kv and doesn´t work to with the leopard 5692 i have!
    I bet that if i had the older version of the 40 160 wk, i wouldn´t had these issues....

This is mine experience, and mine 0.02 cents

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Tyler very interesting, why did adding an additional cap bank cause a failure?

Edit woops ...Douggie refresh, refresh , refresh you moron

Douggie
    Its a good question. I had made a Y-harness to add the Etti cap bank where I connect the batteries to. So one leg went to the batteries, one leg to the extra caps and the last to the controller. I connected them in the wrong order. I connected the batteries to the controller and the connected the extra caps. Due to the high in-rush current to charge the extra caps it pulled very high currents out of the on-board Schulze caps. This casued the lead on the Schulze Caps to vaporize! If I would have connected the batteries to the extra caps first and then the controller, I would have been much safer.

TG

Quote Originally Posted by JMSCARD View Post
    I know this has nothing to do with this thread but since its a active schulze thread I thought I would ask.... I am going to run two schulze 40-160 fut V16's watercooled speedys in a 54" mhz drambeui in ice cat with twin 2215 1.5y's.... I have a ton of lipos but because of my battery trays, etc., want to run 1p per motor and esc....

So my layout was going to be 8s1p Turnigy 5000mah 40c lipos to each schulze and 2215... then with a y adapter going to each speedo and then into the one reciever.....

I am going to start off running De-tongued,Back cut,Cupped to 3.6, and Mirror polished Counter Rotating X447's by Andy Brown...

So my question again is this setup ok for 3 minute runs.... or should I definately go 8s2p 10000mah as I do have the lipos on hand to do so..... and if any of you would like to estimate the speed for me I might expect with this setup that would be nice to hear what she might be capable of on 8s..... I know the props are on the conservative side but I am not racing or setting up for saw runs... I just want a nice reliable "Big" boat to run at our family compound on the "Big" lake...
    You should be pretty safe there. 3 minutes may be pushing it, but set the LVC to to the higher value and test.

Tyler

You should be pretty safe there. 3 minutes may be pushing it, but set the LVC to to the higher value and test.

Tyler
    so you think 1p on 5000mah each side is ok... ? thanks for your help!!

With 447 props yes. I can run a 452 on the same motor/controller/battery combo in a single cat very comfurtably.

You'll probably want more prop eventually and then I would go to 2P if you can fit it.

Tyler

With 447 props yes. I can run a 452 on the same motor/controller/battery combo in a single cat very comfurtably.

You'll probably want more prop eventually and then I would go to 2P if you can fit it.

Tyler
    Shoot I meant to say X457's... not x447's..... I have counter rotating x457's!!! the 447's are on my twin supercat...lol...

That makes a big difference. Now you are on the borderline case and you will not see 3 minutes of WOT runtime.

That makes a big difference. Now you are on the borderline case and you will not see 3 minutes of WOT runtime.

yeh thats what I was worried about.... I won't run wot the whole time.... but I do have enough matching cells to make 8s2p 10000mah so maybe I need to add battery tray length....lol..... anyway its cat-bois old cat he never ran that I bought off the swap shop a couple months ago.... what speed do you think it will be good for speed wise on 8s with the x457's? thanks tyler.... immensly as I know you have experience with the big boats!!!!!!

At least set the boat up that you can add 2P per motor. I am hitting 65 on 8S2P running a X460 prop in a conquest. With twin power and the long skinny scale hulls i would expect you can see 72-75 pretty easy. With 2P you could probably run a X462 to hit 80. Want to go faster? Take a X665 and cut it down to 60mm and you'll probably be doing over 90.

Twin 2215's have a lot of potential with good controllers and batteries to go really fast.

Many of the European cat guys are running similiar power systems in that range, but none are probably running for 3 minutes on 2P.

Tyler

Many thanks for the info tyler!! sounds like I am going to see 60 or so with my 8s1p setup.... I will only run for a couple minutes with that..... and I will add some length to my battery trays... just stinks because Sandy (Cat-Boi) meticulously made the carbon fiber battery trays and they wont fit 8s2p 10000mah for each motor (4 5000mah 40c turnigy packs each sides) but I have 16 40C 5000mah 4s turnigy lipos that I bought for this project.... I go a little lipo crazy.... thanks for all your info!!!!

By the way those x455 non counter rotating aren't the props I am using... just had them on there for looks while the boat was sitting around collecting dust!! LOL...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JMSCARD; 09-01-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Try it 1P with the current trays and see how long the run time versus speed is. If you want to go faster or run longer, you need to go to 2P.

Do you have pics of the inside or a link to Sandy's build?

TG

Here is the Link.... Thanks again Tyler... any input is, and has been awesome....!!!

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...&highlight=mhz

I also have enough Brand New Poly RC 35c 5050mah lipos to do 1p of 9s, or 10s as well.... as I bought 2 each of 4s, 5s, 6s for this project from pat at RCLIPOS as well... like I said I went a little lipo crazy as I am sure many do....

Thanks for the link.

If you can run 10S1P per motor you will have lots of fun. I run 10S1P 6500mAh Neu packs for sprint racing with a X457 and put on a good show. That set-up ran a 23.001 second 2-lap time recently.

TG

This is all great stuff! Thank you!

How much$ for these new Shultz ESC

Quote Originally Posted by meangenesracing View Post
    How much$ for these new Shultz ESC
    Eugene

Look at the date on the original post at the top, I donot think they sell them anymore, You may find a used one.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

OH WOW, LOL. thanks Larry