Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: www.mlboatworksrc.com Laser cut race boat kits & accessories

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

I am extremely excited to say the Budweiser T6/ T5, Vacationville/Master Tire, Formula U-5 framing is complete. This is the most thought out kit yet, and should be one of the most impressive fitting kits I have done. I know I say that every time I do a new kit, but this was an extremely complex frame that needed a lot of work to get correct. It should be a builders dream. I know this is an extremely popular hull, so I am sure it will put a smile on someones face. My goal right now, is to get one for myself first, and frame it up, make sure its perfect in every way, then offer it for sale. This hull will be done not only in 1/8th scale, but I plan to offer 1/10th and GAS scale. More to come in the following weeks! Mike

Finished Framing sets:

1) 101-A, 6740, ‘67 Bardahl and other “Karelson Hull‘s” 1/8th scale
    2) 105-A, 5560P, ‘55 Thriftway 1/8th,1/10th,1/16th scale
    3) 106-N, 6207, ‘75 Oberto and MANY others 1/8th scale
    4) 110-A, 6925, ‘69 Pride of Pay N Pak (Outrigger hull) 1/8th scale
    5) 111-A, 6403, ‘64 Tahoo Miss 1/8th scale
    6) 124-A, 7495, ‘74 U95 Turbine 1/8th scale
    7) 126-A, 7931, '79 Circus, '85 Dominos Pizza, '81 Air Force, Possibly '79-81 Squire Shop 1/8th scale
    8) 132-A, 8012, ‘79-80 Miss Budweiser Humpback w/ custom hatch framing 1/8th scale
    9) 132-A, 8012, '79-80 Miss Budweiser Humpback modified w/ centered engine well 1/8th scale
    10) 135-A, 8025, ‘80-82 Turbine Pay N Pak 1/8th scale
    11) 135-E, 8410, ‘86 Seven Eleven 1/8th scale
    12) 137-A, 8200, ‘82 Atlas Van Lines (Weiblehaus Sponson Mod)1/8th scale
    13) 137-L, 8200, ‘90 Turbine Oberto (Weiblehaus Sponson Mod) 1/8th scale
    14) 138-B, 8255, ‘82 Executone , Coors, Oberto, Speedy,etc. 1/8th,1/10th,GAS scale
    15) 140-A, 5762, ‘60 Thriftway Too 1/8 scale
    16) 146-F, 8700, ‘88 Miller High Life/ Circus- Offset cowling 1/8th scale
    17) 146-F, 8700, ‘88 Miller High Life/ Circus- Cowling adjusted to Center 1/8th scale
    18) 147-A, 8501, '85 Bubble Budweiser- Standard Offset 1/8th scale
    19) 147-A, 8501, '85 Bubble Budweiser-Centered engine well 1/8th scale
    20) 149-B, 8701, ‘87-91 Miss Budweiser 1/8th Scale
    21) 149-C, 8701, ’94 Miss Budweiser U-1 1/8th Scale
    22) 156-D, 8808, ’92 Miss Tide 1/8th Scale
    23) 156-E, 8808, ’97-02 LLUMAR 1/8th Scale
    24) 158-A, 8700, ’89-90 Circus Circus 1/8th Scale
    25) 158-D, 8700, ‘94 Smokin Joes 1/8th scale
    26) 158-E, 8401, ’94 Miss Exide 1/8th Scale
    27) 171-D, 9516, ’96 Miss E-lam Plus 1/8th scale
    28) 172-A, 9601, ‘01 Miss Bud T3 T5 T6 1/8th scale
    29) 172-B, 203, ‘04 Vacationville.com, Master Tire 1/8th scale
    30) 176-A, 8806, ’91 Miss Madison 1/8th scale
    31) 176-F, 8806, ‘96 Dewalt 1/8th scale

Plans being worked on in order of Completion (All 1/8th Scale for now):
    1) 145-A, 8303, '83-84 Renault, '91 Edge
    2) 134-A, 8031, '80 Circus Canard
    3) 157-A, 8910, ’89 Winston Eagle Lobster
    4) 164-A, 9401, ‘94 Miss Bud T4 (Will also be modifying to make the Peters and May U-37 hull)
    5) 162-B, 9210.5, ‘93 Circus Twin Wing and others
    6) 121-L, 6615, ‘66-68 My Gypsy
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Mike, you are so firing me up to build one of these!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Darin,

If you had told me I would be doing all these frames 6 months ago, I would have laughed. I am personally so excited about these frames and the boats they make I can barely think straight! I wish I had the money and time to build all these boats. Its probably the most fulfilling thing I have ever had the opportunity to do! I do hope you get a kit cause I know you will like it! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Mike, you are so firing me up to build one of these!
    No doubt Darrin. I feel like tossing the Miss Miller, Miss US, Miss Corn Flakes and the unbuilt Muck hull just to make room for building one of Mikes.

My god, why would you want to toss a bunch of hulls!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    No doubt Darrin. I feel like tossing the Miss Miller, Miss US, Miss Corn Flakes and the unbuilt Muck hull just to make room for building one of Mikes.
    Alan... just hang-em from the rafters like all the plane guys do! Decorate your shop with them!!

Heck, some guys hang FULL sized ones from the rafters!

You can toss hulls my way Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    My god, why would you want to toss a bunch of hulls!!!!!
    'Cuz I have to keep walking around or over them!!! More seriously. I love wooden boats. Mine are all f/g or poly. Well, the Miller is wood.

I spent some time collecting what I have. The hulls are not going anywhere soon. But if I do shed a few I'll let you guys know 1st.

ps Darrin, If I hung them like your pic all the guts would fall out!

What is "gas" scale? Can you do a frame in 1/7th? The selection of 1/7th FE hulls is pretty slim right now.
    -t

Kind of a small market for 1/7th one small club running it and Jeff makes the majority of the hulls. A lot of work to make only a few hulls at best

Quote Originally Posted by tharmer View Post
    What is "gas" scale? Can you do a frame in 1/7th? The selection of 1/7th FE hulls is pretty slim right now.
    -t
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

I didn't know what was involved in making one of your kits. I was hoping it was just rescale the CNC machine.
    -t

Well, here is the deal. I had some requests for the 1/6th scale FE framing, the 1/6.66 Gas (20% over 1/8th scale), 1/10th scale, and now apparently 1/7th scale.

I am now going to say that only 1/8th scale and 1/6.667th GAS scales will be offered.

The 1/6th FE scale, I have determined is so big that the framing crossmembers will be spaced just to far apart, and the minimal requests for it are just not worth the work.

The 1/10th FE scales, I have a couple kits for, but I doubt I am going to pursue any more of those anytime soon unless I have a personal need for one. They are not going to be competitive against the sport 40 hulls, so the minimal requests for them in 1/10th scale FE is just not worth it. I also hear this Jeff Campbell has a strong hold on the 1/10th scale market, so I am going to steer clear.

These requests have rapidly gotten out of control, and if I don't put a stop on it now, people are going to get pissed!

Now, with that said, if someone has to have a kit so bad that is not the two scales I want to offer (1/8th and 1/6.66th), they can pay for the upscale frame by the hour for my CAD time and whatever the kit costs, and I will do it. That is the only reasonable thing I can think of to get this under control. Hope this helps, and doesnt't hurt to much! Mike

I didn't mean to get you upset. Was just wondering about other sizes. Right now Jeff C has two versions of 1/7th shovel and two versions of Pickle. That's it. I've built a Squire but it would have been a much better boat if I'd used a framing kit like yours. A friend has built a turbine Oberto and these are the only two boats racing that are not Campbell hulls.

Your kits would let some of us (you're right, it is a very small group, maybe 25 boats all together) have a wider choice, especially in Pickle or Turbine versions. Do you have any data on the final weight of the 1/8th hulls?

It makes sense that you should charge more for any non-standard framing kit that you make on request. Even at that, you don't want to make so many one-of-a-kind's that you can't get your regular ones done. On the other hand, once a one-of-a-kind is done, you have a new frame in your inventory.

It's also quite a compliment for the way folks see your kits to want one for the classes they run. It's just a bother for you so you ought to get paid for it.

-terry

NO no, Please don't take it as upset. This has been something on my mind, and I was not sure what to do about it. What I would like to know tho is why are some doing 1/7th scale, and some doing 1/6th. I didn't even realize people were doing the 1/7th until today which really made my head spin. It really sounds odd that there are so many sizes. I wish everyone would put there heads together, pick one scale, and go with it. The cowlings would then be universal as the back and forth scales kind of mess that up. Right now, that back and forth size, and the fact that some run one direction, and some run the other, have just pushed me away from even working on these kits and focusing on the 1/8th.

I don't know if many know it, but up scaling, and down scaling is extremely time consuming. Not only do I have to figure out what size ply will work best, all that has to be incorporated in the cross zed. What I should have done, is drawn all the frames without slots, did all the scaling of the sizes, then put all the cutouts in, just didn't realize this was going to take off like it has!

I definately think I am going to stick to the GAS and 1/8th scale as standard kits, and if someone wants the other sizes, a fee will have to be figured out.

It does sound like Jeff Campbell has the market hold over there tho!

Sorry for sounding upset..more of just trying to figure out what to do! Mike

I hear you about all the different sized and classes. Some of the 1/6ths use the same Scorpion motor the 1/7ths do and we've invited them to race with us but so far, none have done so.

Here's a pic of my 1/7th Miss Technicolor

Terry, What kind of speeds are you guys getting out of these hulls with the Scorpion motors? What size scorpion, and what esc's and lipo cells are you using? Let me know, Mike

Scorpion 4035-800 on 8s or 8s2p. Speeds in the very high 40's to very low 50's on Graupner K57 props (required). Weight is approximately 12-14 lbs. about 50 inches by 24 inches. Straight 3/16 drive with universial joint at strut...which is set about parallel to the bottom.

It's almost a perfect speed. Fast enough to be interesting and challanging, but not so fast as to be really hard to control. In addition, the Scorp outrunner makes a wonderful howl at about 21,000 rpm. They look and sound great and they are really scale boats.

Terry, What kind of speeds are you guys getting out of these hulls with the Scorpion motors? What size scorpion, and what esc's and lipo cells are you using? Let me know, Mike
    Mike... I've seen a couple of the 1/6ths run (Two of the Classic Thunder 1/10th scale guys have them) and they are easily into the 50's...

These things are HUGE! Very cool, but in my mind, 1/8th scales, on this same power system, just make more sense.

Keep in mind also, when considering doing these 1/7ths and 1/6ths... and the 1/10ths also... they turn to the LEFT, so all that goes along with that has to be reversed as well.

There are several of us here on the West Coast that are preparing to build 1/8th scale, NAMBA legal Scales over the winter/spring. We'll run them RCU/NAMBA style and turn to the right, and have a blast doing it.

Oh yeah, I know about the reverse direction. That is why it makes it really really tough to want to offer everything!!! lol. What hull are you thinking about doing Darin? Mike

Remember, Darrin, that's on a Graupner plastic prop. With a Metal prop add 10 to 15 mph.
    I've heard from Brian about the 1/8th FE and I think I'll build one this winter. I'd appreciate any info you have about these.
    -t

l

Yeah, that is all I do myself are 1/8th scale FE. 1527 1y Neu motor on 6S2P, or 1527 1.5y on 10S1P. Mike

Someone at the last 1/7th race said he saw one run and that it was scary fast. What speeds are you getting?
    -t

Most of the guys I know running 1/8 FE are running in the low-mid 50's. Fast enough to be a challenge, but not to horridly destructive if you screw up. 8-10S on Neus, Plets and Lehners.

If my calcs are close, the scorpion on 8S1P should go 55 or so reliably in an 1/8 scale if set up properly.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Yeah, I would say mine is mid 50's and everything comes back almost cold! I can definately prop up and tune a lot more, just have not had the time! MIke

Yeah, that is all I do myself are 1/8th scale FE. 1527 1y Neu motor on 6S2P, or 1527 1.5y on 10S1P. Mike
    Mike,

Do you run 2P for weight or draw or both? How big is the wheel you are spinning on that setup. I always wanted to try it.

Well, the '82 Executone, I am running 6s2p because the weight of the hull allows for the higher 1250KV setup. That hull, rtr is only about 13.5lbs so I can get away with it. This will be my heat boat, so the 2p should help out.

The Phil Thomas U10 Smokin Joes epoxy hull I am working on is physically a lot larger hull, so its getting the 850kv 1527 and 10s1p. I am doing 1p because there is not room for 2p. Plus, this boat will be for fun, not racing, so I don't need to worry about 6 laps.

I have also started an '85 Dominos Pizza. This is a really small hull compared to the others, so I am going to see if a 1717 Castle/ Neu 1580kv on 5s2p will work. Its another fun run boat, so I am not stressing 6 laps. Should be a fun boat.

I will be doing the T6 Bud as well, but finishing that hull is so far down the road, I will not choose power systems for a while.

I know, I know, seems like a lot of boats, but since I am the "frame keeper", doing many hulls is a lot easier for me to obtain. I will, at some point, have 20+ boats...if the wife doesn't care! HAHAHAHAHHA

'83-84 Renault is done. Also makes the '91 Edge.

Winston Lobster is next.....

Mike, do you know of a cowl thats available for the 83-84 renault, I believe it runs without the cowl but has one for when on display.
    An Apple a day keeps the PC away

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast