Thread: Turn fins a good idea on the P1?

Default Turn fins a good idea on the P1?

My buddy just got his P1, and from watching it run, it looks like it could benefit from some turn fins. Maybe 50 to 60mm ish??? Couldn't hurt right? That stepped hull seems to shimmy a bit in tight turns.

Most monos have em.

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Most monos have em.
    That's what i was thinkin..... He ordered the OSE small 54mm ones. Should help the squirming a bit. We'll see....

Quote Originally Posted by OshkoshMono View Post
    My buddy just got his P1, and from watching it run, it looks like it could benefit from some turn fins. Maybe 50 to 60mm ish??? Couldn't hurt right? That stepped hull seems to shimmy a bit in tight turns.
    Also tuck the rudder in, I mentioned it in a different P1 thread but my tucking the rudder (negative) in it will help with bouncing in the turns by allowing the transom to get in the water more and not run to high. It would be a good place to start while waiting for turn fins to come in. I know by doing that on my SV, it made a HUGE difference for the better.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

I tried the tucking in of the rudder, did help, but it Stil managed to flip over a couple times today. Once from wind waves, and once from the wake. I'm thinking turn fins are a must. Boat rocks otherwise.

I have one question about turn fins... Is there a certain angle they would need to be. I see them at all different angles on different boats??
    I'd experiment, but I don't want to make the transom look like Swiss Cheese.
    Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Also tuck the rudder in, I mentioned it in a different P1 thread but my tucking the rudder (negative) in it will help with bouncing in the turns by allowing the transom to get in the water more and not run to high. It would be a good place to start while waiting for turn fins to come in. I know by doing that on my SV, it made a HUGE difference for the better.
    Cool. I'll let my buddy know to give it a try. It makes sense. Thanks. Do you know if a slightly kicked back rudder will flow any more water through the pickup? Being that if the bow is a little higher while running then the pickup is parallel with the surface of the water. Or does that make no sense?
    Hobie: As for the turn fins. They should be at a 90 deg angle to the bottom of the hull. That's how I mounted mine anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by OshkoshMono View Post
    Cool. I'll let my buddy know to give it a try. It makes sense. Thanks. Do you know if a slightly kicked back rudder will flow any more water through the pickup? Being that if the bow is a little higher while running then the pickup is parallel with the surface of the water. Or does that make no sense?
    Hobie: As for the turn fins. They should be at a 90 deg angle to the bottom of the hull. That's how I mounted mine anyway.
    If it did it would be such a small amount it doesn't matter, JMO. But I don't think it would make a difference. Onething I always do is open the hole on the rudder more with a small rat file, that makes a big difference. I ran my SV tucked with ul power and my temps always 100-110F on motor and esc. That combo runs so cool I love ul-1 power. I'm on my 3rd boat, with ul power a ul, sv and now my h&m mono. Ran fast, cool and AMAZING in every boat.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"