Thread: Pro boat Apache 24 flex drive line almost done!!...some ?'s

Thumbs up Pro boat Apache 24 flex drive line almost done!!...some ?'s

Well here it is everything is done i just have to mount the motor and so forth... I made slots in the motor mound so i can move the motor back a hair it worked out great!... One thing guy's don't do what i did when prepairing the prop shaft getting it scuffed up in the inside by using a drill and a small bit i had the prop on ( BAD IDEA) and was holding it with one hand while drilling in the prop shaft to scuff it up a bit and the bit got stuck and poof you guessed it the prop spun in my hand only 7 slice marks not to bad though but be carful not to do what i did take the prop off first before scuffing the inside hole up... it could have been worse..

I have a few ?'s about the flex units so here it goes

the teflon tubing you only push it inside the brass tube no glue?

you still grease the flex cable like on a normal boat drive right?

Also what's a good starting angle for the prop? straight with the bottom of the hull?

All and all i think it worked out ok THANKS everyone for all your help along the way!!

I bet this boat will be my smoothest one besides my SV27... May have to do more flex drive conversions!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    :p What go faster that's what I like to do!
    Custom RC radio steering grips
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Grease the cable YES.
    The liner does NOT need to be glued. As a matter of fact trim it off right at the edge of the tube so you have the maximum amount of flex in the cable for steering. Last lay the boat on the table and aline the angle of that strut even to the bottom of the boat. That will be about perfect. You did a nice job man. now go out and shoot some video of this baby :D.

THANKS SJFE!
    Was thinking of cutting that little extra off.... Do you know How long it take for that loctite green stuff to fully cure?

I am going to run the stock esc and 550 motor first...may go with a 19 turn motor in the future... maybe even one of the cheap brushless systems..I see Steve has some cheap brushless ESC's that look nice ..on a boat this size probably won't need anything to crazy.
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

I go 24 hours on the locktight for a propshaft man. I put a brushless system together for this boat about a month ago. I had one of the 60 amp Pulso esc's(as seen in the store) and a Feigao 15L @ (witch Steven can prolly order). I had calculated on 6 or 7 cells it would be equal to a 19 turn brushed setup but much more eficent. I estimate around 110 for the upgrade. Put that on 3s lipo and it would be just silly...lol. I am watching ya closley because one of these is still not out of the question for me:).

SJFE Man i just lubed all up with the grim blue grease and reved it up on a battery and man this is the smoothest sounding drive line i ever heard on a boat!! It's awesome sure beats even the best cupler U joint jobbers!!
    SJFE here is a photo hows the angle look on the strut?

Hey anyone know how tight you tighten the chuck like unit to hold in the flex
    shaft?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

I put the Teflon liner all the way to the strudder... Just a thought
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Yea i tried that at first but it made it have more pressure during turning.
    Like SJFE said it will flex easy with it cut away.

THANKS
    Z
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM