Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Active canard

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TotalPackage; 04-15-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Can you explain to us whats going on in those pictures?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

1.mounting lipos 2.programing the hobbywing esc 3.hooking up an optical shudder for the canards 4. building a scale cockpit 5. programming the mcu

hate to sound stupid but what will the optical shudder do for the carnard?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Watch No honest question is stupid. As you might know im running a 4channel (true boat radio) . My throttle is like a helm with detents. It is a basic radio no expo no telemetry no nothing just a reliable futaba radio. All functions ouside of basic movement(3rd channel mix etc.) will be handled by the mcu!The shudder will give the mcu input to let it know the boat is in a turn via shudder on the rudder control arm.A handling situation step 1.

Note there is nothing advanced about this. Anyone with any experience in high or low level language can hack it. The board gives me all the options we run out and by(telemetry,datalogging,gps,temp. sens, aux control of lights and bilge pumps etc.) Basically a garmin and eagle tree will be embedded in the boat .

The reason I like this is because you have more flexibility implemented through code or optional topology!
    Ther were some that talk about the speed of the events of blowover and how fast the hardware and brain can accomodate but this is a rc boat not a missle. For the ones that crave ultra high speed I recommend 100 percent logic based hardware (loads of boolean algebra gates,switches and adders no thanks) but for here in the hobby world this is good enough. I dont want a "big flap event to stop blowover I want an algorithm that simply treis to keep the boat at the right attitude.m You dont assume coz u put a system like this in a boat that you can nail it wide open and wont have blowovers (DUMB)! Logic tells you that these two small flaps lift or downforce would have to be able to overcome a 14 pound fulcrum point with a 43 inch wrench handle. This is where having weight in the nose really helps it shortens the length of the wrench handle if you can follow my analogy.

I must say im a little dissappointed at the range of the rf option only 200 feet. I can only hope that steaming data can be mometarily put in a buffer and when signal picks up again is will continue with the transmission and the packet not sent until its complete. This may be an issue. But at least the rf option isnt in the 2.4 ghz range.
    Last edited by TotalPackage; 04-17-2011 at 03:19 PM.

I dont have the xyz sensor yet but that doesnt stop coding. I have two buttons one for up flap one for down now I will create a subroutine that will take the optical shudder input and raise flap to a set point for cornering the when it exits the turn the flap will lower for straights. The buttons will set the default for any condition. You will simply run the boat dial in the flaps till you get what you want. Then the cornering algorithm will add a few degress downforce to that in the turns the back to the default. Lastly the xyz or gyro will use the default setting as LEVEL and monitor from there doing all it can to keep the boat level. At the site of 2-4 degrees above the default it will go full flap then do a quick compare to the default setting and and continue until its back in The NORMAL range of attitude. I finally glued the cannards in place. I will also work on a digital dash in the cockpit, Maybe even a driver that sees obstacles and slows the boat to avoid them who knows; mcus open up doors of possibility. Dash will show temp angle and speed and possibly amperage but I need a shunt or an hardare example to handle it as these i/0 's can only handle millamps.
    Last edited by TotalPackage; 04-18-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123