Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wire drive upgrade questions

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    I would get the hex/style couplers. I use em on my wire drives with no issues. I dont trust the set screw/style couplers with wire drives. I dont think the tiny set screws have enough "bite" on the wires. (even though they use 4-screws) JMO
    Well when i ordered the couplers i realized within 10 mins that i ordered the wrong thing. And i emailed him saying i wanted the octura couplers instead. But i didn’t get those. I got the other couplers. I didn’t complain about it. I just decided to go ahead and use what I got. So i am paying for my impatience on bothering to send them back to get what I wanted.
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

I just think they grab much better without having to really "wrench" them down.

Quote Originally Posted by JPriami View Post
    Well when i ordered the couplers i realized within 10 mins that i ordered the wrong thing. And i emailed him saying i wanted the octura couplers instead. But i didn’t get those. I got the other couplers. I didn’t complain about it. I just decided to go ahead and use what I got. So i am paying for my impatience on bothering to send them back to get what I wanted.
    The set screw couplers are excellent and the best couplers I've come across. Hex couplers are arguably more convenient and work just as well, but with the set screw couplers you can grind in a flat spot, just where the screws hit. This helps prevent shaft slip and shaft loss.

Also, the couplers that Jeff sells are made using good size set screws and have quite a bit of room for the threads. This helps with longevity of the coupler. They are also lighter.

So there's a bit of the + and the - on both sides. I use both and leverage the features for the application.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

I wish i had a tiny wheel collar to put on the end of the wire drive to keep it just incase something like this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JPriami View Post
    I wish i had a tiny wheel collar to put on the end of the wire drive to keep it just incase something like this happens.
    I've been thinking of using a small e-clip for just that purpose. Wouldn't have to make a groove for it, just snap it on. Would be just enough to keep it from sliding out. Wheel collars are nice too.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

thats a good idea Fightercat

Grinding a flat spot on those already-small diameter wires makes me nervous. Especially when running bigger props like the 442's. But I agree, grinding a small flat spot and a little blue lock-tite should do the trick!

Yeah, I should qualify; a slight flat spot, really not more than just enough to keep it from spinning or sliding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12