Thread: Apache on 5s

Talking Apache journey to 5s

First i cut the bowl out of the hull to allow more room to work.
    Then i had to make my own motor mount and replace the stuffing box for a .150 flex cable and make a support for the end.
    Mounted the BJ26SS prop strut and dry lined everything up.
    Mounted BJ26SS turn fin. finding good mount for servo.
    Also added another water pickup for separate cooling of the motor and esc. (pick up came off stock bj26 brushless prop strut)
    Going to mount copper tubing in the bottom of the hull about half way leaving a 1inch gap at the rear with epoxy to allow water to flow at the very bottom if any gets inside and allows it to drain. also makes flat for lipos and adds a little weight to a very light hull.
    Enjoy! ill update the pictures the further i go along.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WrknItUp; 08-28-2010 at 04:29 AM.

A few more pics of a little more progress. Didnt add as much weight as i wanted. Finally got servo mounted and everything epoxyed in and water tight. Ran it once so far and didnt like the fact it was running wet so i took most of the weight out and well see how it does.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Impresive, any videos of it running? New to boats but I have one of these that I am playing with now. I have a speed control and motor from a traxxas slash 4x4 that I put in it. With a 3s it was crazy fast (to much) couldn't even think of going full throttle. Maybe with more weight up front?

I just ordered the same BJ rudder/prop strut, and a pair of turn fins to see it I can make it more stable at speed. I wasn't planning on gutting the inside and redoing the whole setup as you did, but it may come to that, or just buy a better hull:). As small and light as this thing is I am wondering if it is worth putting so much into it? But it will be fun to try and find out.

So I am interested in what your doing here. Few questions, why only one turn fin? Does the angle of the turn fin make a diffference? I was just going to set it up similiar to the BJ26. Why is the rudder offset so far to the right? Did you renforce the back or just screw and glue to the existing hull?

WrknItUp
    Very cool. A video would be interesting. Your photos are very dark, suggest turning some lights on when you take your next pictures
    Boomer