Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Turnigy marine 180

Default New Turnigy marine 180

Ordered a Turnigy 180 last Wednesday from HK. Pais EMS shipping, and got it today! They have made a couple changes to it from recent ones. The case is different. It has 2 tabs with holes that can be used to secure the esc. They are also now using silicone along with the rubber seal ring to make it water tight. Looks to be sealed up well, but I dont wanna find out the hard way either. I like that these Chinese companies are actually making the effort to make us boaters happy without making us wait forever to re-vamp design flaws. These esc's have been great to me in the past.

The really big difference is the burst current...360 amps

Douggie

This one is a Hobbywing Seaking-180A ESC (Version 2.0)

I bought two from HiModel for my twin setup catamaran, Version 2.0 is much better. HK now sale this last version
    Attached Images Attached Images

My last pair, 1 Seaking, 1 Turnigy, were also V2. This one however, is a little different.

That' s right, I like that

The Hobbywing Seaking 180A at HiModel is the last version. I' m not sure about Turnigy
    Last edited by Alfa Spirit; 08-03-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Spirit View Post
    That' s right, I like that

The Hobbywing Seaking 180A at HiModel is the last version. I' m not sure about Turnigy
    This a pic of the latest V2 Turnigy 180 wiring coming off the main pcb board. They no longer have the wires soldered thru the main board. There is a bullet or recepticle that is soldered on first and then the wire into that. And it appears that the bullet is peened onto the board prior to soldering.

John

Change is the one Constant

The Seaking 180A V2.0 from Hobbywing

Yep Alfa. That looks just like mine. Tabs, and silicone.

I just got mine today as well. Mine also has tabs and silicone. Ordered mine on sunday night and paid for ups 3 day shipping. I thought mine looked a little different than in the pics on hobbyking. Glad to see this may be a newer version.

Good to see the improvements. I've had good luck with my older one.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

The silicone is better than previous version, but not sufficient. Apply more yourself, to the gap under/around the aluminum heatsink and all case joint gaps, PCB-case gaps, capacitor leads..... every gap you can think of. That will ensure your ESC to survive even if it get submerged in water, and keeps your PCB away from green copper stain.

I see the Seaking 180a has version 2 printed on the label. Does any one have a Turnigy 180a with version 2 printed on the label? I have a 2 month old Turnigy from HK that has plastic mounting tabs and same motor leads and batt leads and silicone gasket as the v2 Seaking in above pictures but label does not say v2.

I will post picture when I get a chance.

Is the price the same as the older version?

Quote Originally Posted by suckmywake View Post
    I see the Seaking 180a has version 2 printed on the label. Does any one have a Turnigy 180a with version 2 printed on the label? I have a 2 month old Turnigy from HK that has plastic mounting tabs and same motor leads and batt leads and silicone gasket as the v2 Seaking in above pictures but label does not say v2.

I will post picture when I get a chance.
    The new Turnigy 180 specs are the difference, as I stated, but it does not have the sealing you see on the Seaking, interesting and some have had LV cutoff problems and I note the Turnigy programmer is slightly different and they state it will not work with similar looking products and people using the Seaking programmer on Turnigy may have a programming issue.

Douggie

My new one is The Turnigy. It has the sealing, and bolt holes. It does not say version2. The program card is the same for the seaking and turnigy. They are the exact same controllers. The only incorrect prog. box, is the one for land based esc, which I'm told you can order a face plate for. In my twin cat, one esc was a Turnigy 180, the other was a Seaking. They performed exactly the same. I don't think they are selling it as a new version. V2 has been out for several months now. Seems they are just making a few necessary adjustments along the way.

This is really interesting I got the latest Turnigy as they were out of stock when I ordered a month ago...2 tabs no sealing? no new version spec #..their controller has been out of stock for a long time

Douggie

Where you order it from Douggie?

HK... this is really mind numbing

Douggie

Yeah, it's definately out of stock right now.

Anybody else receive a Turnigy 180 marine within the last couple of weeks?? and were they sealed? Did I get an old batch or was the sealing done to cover up a manufacturing bobo. mine is identical to the picture John shows but with tabs. Also any LV cutoff problems?

Douggie

All I can say, is that I've owned 6 seaking, or turnigy 180's. Never had a single lvc problem. Generally, I don't run to lvc, but being a sport boater, it happens. With my twin cat, I ran to the lvc several times. Wired completely seperate from each other (cells, motors) The lvc's would simultaneously kick in. This was running neu/castle 1515 2200's on 4 and 5s 1p each, Turnigy 30c 5000mah packs.

Guy's,
    I know mine wasnt sealed well on the bottom plastic cover with silicone but that doesnt bother me in any way. I wanted to spray the logic board and the opposite side with the FET's with Conformal Spray anyways so for me my V2 version was perfect in my application. Its running well, so far, in a FX rigger with the castle/neu 1515 1Y but its going into my Miss Atlas with a 1515 1.5D soon. I'll see how it does with more amps. Any of you guys tracking how well these esc are doing? I hate to recommend these speedos if they are problimatic but thats not been my experience so far. But I do know some have fried on initial plug in.

John
    Change is the one Constant

This is picture of mine. It was sealed up with silicone but I would recomend removing 4 screw holding on heat sink on and seal up between heat sink and plastic holder and plastic holder and pc board. I added extra cooling. The paper work that came with mine shows 180a cont. and 360a burst. So I am thinking this is the verson 2. I bought it from Hobbyking about 2 months ago.

no tabs on mine 3 weeks old but perfect as always
    i need to order a towerpro 40 foer a mini vee
    any objectionds?

Be carefuln Turnigy esc are B-Stock from Hobbywing Seaking, pay for a Seaking 180A V. 2 , that' s the best choice you can do

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    All I can say, is that I've owned 6 seaking, or turnigy 180's. Never had a single lvc problem. Generally, I don't run to lvc, but being a sport boater, it happens. With my twin cat, I ran to the lvc several times. Wired completely seperate from each other (cells, motors) The lvc's would simultaneously kick in. This was running neu/castle 1515 2200's on 4 and 5s 1p each, Turnigy 30c 5000mah packs.
    The lvc problem I was referring to, was it may kick in at after initial power application and some members have had to turn off the lvc to remedy this apparent problem.

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    The lvc problem I was referring to, was it may kick in at after initial power application and some members have had to turn off the lvc to remedy this apparent problem.

Douggie
    Mine would studder @ full tilt. I turned the lvc off and it quit.

Be carefuln Turnigy esc are B-Stock from Hobbywing Seaking, pay for a Seaking 180A V. 2 , that' s the best choice you can do
    Alfa, that is the first I have heard of this? How do you know they are B-stock from Hobbywing? I have two of the Turnigy 180's, but if you are correct, then obviously I would buy the Seaking.

A friend of mine have a Gibson SG Std B-Stock from Musician' s Friend, the guitar sounds great and this is a beauty ....

A friend of mine have a Gibson SG Std B-Stock from Musician' s Friend, the guitar sounds great and this is a beauty ....
    WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?! Back on topic, I've never heard of the Turnigy's being second class either. Not sure who told you that, but I'd bet they're full of it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast