Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Jack Esc shutdown

Default Black Jack Esc shutdown

I tried to run a 3300/kv Bl and the Esc kept shutting down at full throttle, I'm thinking it might be the esc rev limiter thinking it's free running due to the high kv.
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

pulling to many amps thermaling.
    the more KV the more amps. That esc is only rated for 45 amps, thats is what i have in my micro
    EYEKANDYGRAPHICS

www.rclipos.com

are you running that motor on 14.8 volts? If so thats 48,840 RPM

If that is what you are doing i would be happy there was a rev limiter and saved your esc.

If that is the motor you want to run try running the 2 batts in parallel and you will get half the rpm and alot happier system. But you need to stay under 45 amp draw

No I'm running it on 14 3600's integy intellects, which says after fully charged 20.562 volts...I assume those are unload volts.
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

wow, you are almost exceeding the voltage of the esc for one and your rpms will probably explode the motor as well. You are running 55,000 rpm unloaded or 67,000 rpm if you held the 20.5v. At this point your going to blow up all of your equipment!

Question for you, how much rc experience do you have?

I, use to run rc's years ago say about ten years, just getting back into as of this year, the brushless era enticed me once again. I ran that 3300 Kv in my Ep1 outboard SuperVee27 on a 4s lipo...It launches out of the water spinning a a range of props from a 632 to a 442 I had to make some trim tabs out of soft alum, so they could be more adjustable otherwise the thing would just tuck and roll all day.

cool, welcome back

Keep a few things in mind kv multiplied by voltage equals unloaded rpm, running that many cells is not a bad thing, but how you wire them will change everything

wire them in series will double the voltage more stress on the cells

wire them in parallel and you will double the runtime less stress on the cells

try running them in parallel and see how it works both packs red wire connected to the esc red wire and both packs black wire to the black wire of the esc. It will give you 24,000 rpm and run for a long time that way. Props will also play into the equation but that will be increase the heat of the equipment so you will have to keep an eye on that stuff too.

Have fun

Yea, your right, the motor and batteries were hot, but the Esc was super cool

I recall reading before that it is not a good idea to parallel NiMh cells.

Why?.......
    Island Boys Fast Electric Hawaii

Because of the weight. It's pointless.

Iam new to all of this electrice talk and I just baught the BJ 26 and Iam haveing the same problem of not getting full throttle. I can only run the boat half throttle and Iam useing two venoem 3000 nimh pluged into the speed controller. What do I need to do?

I believe there is a no load safety on the esc, if it see's no load it shuts off

Yea but it will go half throttle in the water.

Maybe the low voltage cutoff has been set for lipo. The esc may not be seeing the right voltage and shuting down????. IDK just a shot in the dark.

Wow I posted something yesterday and I disappeared....hmmmm

Found the problem with the ESC shutting down, keep your finger on the throttle of your radio, while pluging in Batteries, release trigger after esc makes 3 sets of beeps last one should be voltage count off batteries, then it just keeps repeating same tones.

Hi Everyone,

I am having the same issue with my ESC in the BJ.

Interesting enough, when l testing the motor and esc using full throttle with my BJ sitting on top of my kitchen benchtop at home (out of water) the ESC/Motor does not cut-out and continues until, l could keep this up but l don't want to risk it.

I will give RCPrinces tip a go to see if this fixes things.
    i.e.
    1. Power on transmitter, keep your finger on the throttle of your radio, while plugging in Batteries (l am going to need extra hands here).
    2. Release trigger after esc makes 3 sets of beeps (last one should be voltage count off batteries).

On another topic, my BJ stock receiver failed to work after its first maiden voyage i.e. it worked once and that was it, l swapped it over with my stock AM receiver and transmitter unit from my SuperVee - ( I use a spektrum now for my SuperVee).

Is anyone else having these problems with ESC cutoff and faulty receiver?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Fade2Gray; 12-17-2007 at 02:04 AM.

I use a Pheonix 110HV now in my BJ with a Futaba 3PM radio

Default ESC shutdown when in water

Hi Everyone (again)

Well today l tested the BJ using the tip supplied by RCPrince unfortunately it made no difference using my current setup.

Here's the deal that's got me baffled;

1.BJ powers up at full throttle when its sitting on its boat stand and doesn't cut out i.e. when the boat is not placed in water ready for its take off.

2.When the BJ is placed in water, it cuts out at full throttle however it stays on at half throttle.

How does the BJ know if it is placed in water or not?? It works fine when it is not placed in water, but fails when its powered up in the water. I have tried tilting the boat on a 45degree angle into water and that seems to keep the BJ powered up but as soon as it placed horizontally into water... it stops at full throttle.

What gives??
    I am using a stock SuperVee AM receiver and it's transmitter along with a set of IB4200's and a M440 prop.

I appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this problem..

Thanks again.

I've read on RRR site that many people are sending them back for replacements.

Default interesting!

I have the esc shutting down with the 4200 packs, however the problem does not happen when using my 3800 packs...any ideas?

I'm curious about the best course of action to take...what are most of you guys with the problem doing? exchange, return, change the esc or just burn the darn thing! just kidding

Thanks!

the 4200's may have a higher initial voltage than the 3800's, higher than the esc can handle. some folks have had the same prob with the sv.

I had the same problem....it turned out i had one slightly dodgey cell in most (8) of my packs but i found a matched 4200IB set of two that works fine, i still having been able to run it on 14 cells.

to test this problem charge at the slowest rate possible if it still does it, it is a cell problem, if it works then your cells have too much inital voltage, which can sometimes come from a high charge rate. Apparently.

i think this comes with a ESC that opperates right on its limit with no buffer unlike other RTR boats, the performance is worth it though.

Good Luck

Default good stuff!

Thanks for the information, I'll try these solutions.

I will tell you this right now already went through this with my friends he tried everything and in te end it was what I said the whole time weak batterys pull down until voltage cutoff kicks in right at full throttle.All you have to do is run a good set of lipo,s we went with a 5000mah 4cell with a real high discharge rate now he see,s 12-15 run times with no cutout but they screw you into buying the program card to switch to lipo.Try a lipo and voltage for just a moment as to not over discharge but I promise it will not kickout good luck.

I have a BLJ26 that is doing the same thing on a pair of venom 4200 6 cell packs. It works fine on the stand, but in the water when a high load is placed on it it will cutoff.

I can get the boat up to speed by slowly feeding in throttle, but it will cut out past about 1/2 throttle. Ful throttle from a start gives about 3 seconds of power before cutoff. It feels like the lipo cutoff is doing this.

I plan to test with a voltmeter and a bucket of water tomorrow, place the test leads on the esc input wires and hold the boat with the prop in the bucket. I will try a variety of throttle inputs and see what the voltage drops to.

I am not a nimh guy, strictly lipo. The boat is a buddy's and he is not too good at trouble shooting!

it's most likely one dead cell(in one pack), venom's are notoriours for this, i had the same problems. switch to Intellect if you can.

Good luck

The packs are ok, just can't keep up with the power requirements!

I tried it today with a pair of polyquest 3600 12c 4s lipos wired in parallel. Same weight, but I have 7200 mah compared to 4200 mah from the venoms.

No comparision really, the lipos never hit the lvc, even after 20mins of hard running.

I tested the venoms with the prop in a bucket of water, and a voltmeter across the esc inputs. Fully charged the venoms were sitting at 16.5v. Full load with the prop submersed dropped the voltage to 10.9v, and that is when the esc shut down. Repeated the test about 6 times, same every time. Almost 6v drop under load, that is poor!

So venom 4200 cells just cannot deliver the required amps. Crap batteries!

On a side note, the bj26 did not turn worth a crap and did not seem as fast as my stock sv27. I also did not seem to handle the slight chop as well either. Maybe I am just more familiar with the sv!

stock speeds are within 2mph of each other in my tests at my local club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast