Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best bang for the buck 7.2-7.4 volts single battery?

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelvision View Post
    40mm sounds to be a bit better but I like more mph's. Where did you get yours? I think I'll give it a go. I usually run it with my 7 cell nimh, save my lipo's (5000mah 25C) for my Supervee. Definitely, want to run it a little longer.

Curious how it stands up to a stocker with the same battery. I really need a GPS to get a better grasp on mods.

Rob
    You can get the props here at OSE or Kintec but you will need to order K & S tubing to sleeve the shaft. Very easy to do see prop hints here on OSE Tips and info. Agree I would like a GPS to accurately tell speed I need to search out a small lite weight one maybe another reader can give us a suggestion?

It will be the weekend I think at earliest before I can run the 40mm Rio S600 against the stock one'

Peter

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...led+Propellers

40mm sounds to be a bit better but I like more mph's. Where did you get yours? I think I'll give it a go. I usually run it with my 7 cell nimh, save my lipo's (5000mah 25C) for my Supervee. Definitely, want to run it a little longer.

Curious how it stands up to a stocker with the same battery. I really need a GPS to get a better grasp on mods.

Rob
    Rob
    Ran the S600 Rio with 40mm vs friends stock Rio and speeds were for all practical purposes identical. Both on 6 cell NiMH, only ran the S600 for five minutes temp at coupling area 134 F while stocker was only 120 F. Can't figure out why the difference in temps the S600 boat puts out a 2-3 inch cooling stream so the water is getting to it OK.

With a brushed set up I don't see running a 40mm has any appreciable benefit over the stock 42 mm which gives good performance and adequate run time except in my boats case it gets too hot!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by CaptPJB View Post
    Rob
    Ran the S600 Rio with 40mm vs friends stock Rio and speeds were for all practical purposes identical. Both on 6 cell NiMH, only ran the S600 for five minutes temp at coupling area 134 F while stocker was only 120 F. Can't figure out why the difference in temps the S600 boat puts out a 2-3 inch cooling stream so the water is getting to it OK.

With a brushed set up I don't see running a 40mm has any appreciable benefit over the stock 42 mm which gives good performance and adequate run time except in my boats case it gets too hot!

Peter
    Cool, thanks for the info. I use mostly with 7 cell nimh and noticeably faster than 6 cell. I would speculate that with the s600 and a 7 cell or 2s lipo it is pushing 16 to 19 mph. As for the heat I think the ESC comes in to play. XL-5 runs a little cooler. I am waiting on a temp gauge to get a real feel for temps. Will let you know how it goes. I have been running it for a few months and no problems, when it goes I have a brushless setup waiting!

Cool, thanks for the info. I use mostly with 7 cell nimh and noticeably faster than 6 cell. I would speculate that with the s600 and a 7 cell or 2s lipo it is pushing 16 to 19 mph. As for the heat I think the ESC comes in to play. XL-5 runs a little cooler. I am waiting on a temp gauge to get a real feel for temps. Will let you know how it goes. I have been running it for a few months and no problems, when it goes I have a brushless setup waiting!
    I was thinking of just running the S600 on the 42mm and let the heat be what it is then go brushless when it dies like your plan.

I was thinking a 120 Turnigy ESC ( if I can ever catch one in stock at HK I get the email but when I go to the site they are all sold) and a KD36-60-08L 3000kv Brushless Inrunner. What do you have in mind for yours? I have been reading on here of torque roll issues with too much power on these hulls, I was only planning to run 2s or 3s with the KD 36 3000kv

Peter,

Your setup is similar to mine. I plan on running a 60 or 90a Seaking (check valuehobby too for the 120, its US shipping) a pro boat 2900kv out of my shockwave with a x435 prop on 2s. I also forgot to mention I have converted to a .130 flex cable with liner already.. Runs smoother than the stock drive. Hope this setup will cause minimal torque roll. Also have a 3650-06 2300kv to try. Just going to wait till this setup fries then I will figure it out. Maybe I should try my cf45 to see how that would handle? Burn that motor up real quick!

Peter,

Got my temp gauge and tried the Rio today. Not as hot as I had originally thought. After a 6 minute run on a 7cell 3000mah the temps were: 121 motor, 94 esc and 107 on the battery. Not bad imo, I had plenty of battery left too. Bet it would run cooler on the lipo.

Sounds good, I now have mine down to 110F on six cells five minutes. The issue was binding in the drive shaft, at least after a realignment the temps dropped so I am thinking that was the problem.

Have not tries a lipo yet I would have thought with the more consistent power discharge delivery curve it would have run hotter rather than cooler? Let me know if you try it I will run a test on mine when I get a chance and will let you know how it goes.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by CaptPJB View Post
    Sounds good, I now have mine down to 110F on six cells five minutes. The issue was binding in the drive shaft, at least after a realignment the temps dropped so I am thinking that was the problem.

Have not tries a lipo yet I would have thought with the more consistent power discharge delivery curve it would have run hotter rather than cooler? Let me know if you try it I will run a test on mine when I get a chance and will let you know how it goes.

Peter
    Think you might be right on the lipo vs NiMH
    Ran 4 minutes on a 2200mah 20c, speed was good better than the 2000 NiMH and temps were 110 F Motor. 98F ESC and 108F on the battery.( meant to come in at 3 minutes for a check but missed it)
    Very pleased with the speed.
    I'm thinking my Rio is about where I what it, will run a full five minutes next time to double check.
    Will be great if it works out as the brushless route is $ plus you have the torque roll problems due in part I think to the narrow beam of the Rio and the extra power available , it overwhelms the hull. To me the Rio is a reliable 25 mph hull and above that there are compromises although it can be done. No GPS but my estimate is around 20+ mph with 7.4 lipo and S600 motor.

Peter

Good temps. Been busy but finally had a nice day and some free time. I ran it on on my 2s 5000mah 30C lipo for 5 minutes and temps were 111 motor, 88 esc and 92 on the battery. Was real happy with that. When I got back home the cells were at 4v per. Not bad. Its just slow and I want more speed now. I ran my 25 prince and that hauls on 3s, I then drive the rio and its just cruisin' around time. I enjoy that though.

I did get a motor mount and some fiberglass to reinforce the hull so maybe over the winter I will convert it to brushless.

Got bored the other night and converted it to brushless! Setup is a pro boat 2900kv motor, 60 amp seaking esc, .130 flex shaft with a x435 prop.
    Ran it on 6 cell nimh for 4 minutes and my temps were real low. Esc was 68, motor was 71, and battery was 106 in 60 degree weather here in NJ. Figured I'd start out conservative and work my way up in speed to see how the hull handles. With this setup there was no torque roll and speed was much quicker than the S600. About the same speed as my shockwave 26 brushless with the same setup.

Sounds good any estimate on speed?

I have the Turnigy ESC but still waiting for a 3660 2800kv to come in stock at HK. Will keep in mind an x435 as a starting point. Decided the 2800kv might be better bet than the 3000kv I had origvionaly thought about especially if I go to 3s
    Last edited by CaptPJB; 10-20-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Added more

I really need a GPS but I would say low to mid 20s with the 6 cell. It was fast enough to make me not want to try the lipo right away. I would guess it was probably hitting about 17 to 20 with the S600.

Now just a switch to 2s should be good for 30 with the brushless. I have 3 more batts to try. 7 cell nimh, 2s and 3s lipo. I will try to get my wife to take some video next time I go out to the lake and I will do a comparison.

I really need a GPS but I would say low to mid 20s with the 6 cell. It was fast enough to make me not want to try the lipo right away. I would guess it was probably hitting about 17 to 20 with the S600.

Now just a switch to 2s should be good for 30 with the brushless. I have 3 more batts to try. 7 cell nimh, 2s and 3s lipo. I will try to get my wife to take some video next time I go out to the lake and I will do a comparison.
    I would agree 17-20 with S600 may start at 20 fresh battery for about a minute then slowly drop back.
    Looking forward to hearing how you do with a little more battery power and hull performance re torque roll. Maybe the x435 is the answer, the stock 42mm being too much prop?

Alright, had a chance to test before but do not have any video. Hopefully this weekend for vids. Here are the results with the x435 prop. Each run was 5 minutes.
    7cell nimh(3000mah) volts - motor 88, esc 82 and battery was 120. No torque roll at all. Speed was mph or 2 faster than 6 cell.
    2s(5000mah, 30C) - motor 85, esc 71 and battery was about 80. No torque roll, slightly fast than 7 cell.
    3s(4000mah, 20c) - motor 112, esc 98 and battery was 102. There was torque roll but it was held in check if you steered into it a tad. Speed = Awesome. Estimate in the low 30's.

I thinking 2s is the way to go with a slightly larger prop. I have a grim racer 36 x 55 that i need to get balanced and sharpened and I think this would be the ideal prop. Would give 2s a little more speed without sacrificing handling. Here's a pic of my internals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alright, had a chance to test before but do not have any video. Hopefully this weekend for vids. Here are the results with the x435 prop. Each run was 5 minutes.
    7cell nimh(3000mah) volts - motor 88, esc 82 and battery was 120. No torque roll at all. Speed was mph or 2 faster than 6 cell.
    2s(5000mah, 30C) - motor 85, esc 71 and battery was about 80. No torque roll, slightly fast than 7 cell.
    3s(4000mah, 20c) - motor 112, esc 98 and battery was 102. There was torque roll but it was held in check if you steered into it a tad. Speed = Awesome. Estimate in the low 30's.

I thinking 2s is the way to go with a slightly larger prop. I have a grim racer 36 x 55 that i need to get balanced and sharpened and I think this would be the ideal prop. Would give 2s a little more speed without sacrificing handling. Here's a pic of my internals.
    Appreciate the info. I agree the sweet spot would appear to be 2S with a slightly bigger prop for the Rio with no hull issues.

Haven't had a chance to get video but was able to test today with a different setup. I used a 36-50 2300kv motor, 60 amp seaking, 4000mah 3s lipo, and x435 prop. After 7 minutes of stop and start running, temps were all under 85. I think this setup is a winner. Way faster than 2s on the 2900kv motor. Can't wait to test my Grim 36mm, I hope I can get a few more mph without torqure roll. There was no torque roll at all here but I am running a tad wet. Need to find the right CG and get more 3s batteries!

Default Rio

Interesting about the 3S set up being better, bears out the saying, more volts less amp runs cooler.

Curious to hear how the Grim 36 will do.

Peter

Alright had a chance to take some video the other day. It was 52 degrees outside and no wind. Ran the Rio for over 12 minutes on my 4000mah 20C 3s lipo and there was still more in the pack. All temps were around 90 to 100. Got my grim prop which I will try next, this vid is with the x435. Tried moving the battery back but boat is still running too wet for my liking. I have room to move it back so I think I'll try that next. Also, ran my Supervee 27R which is in the vid as well.

Might go back to 2900kv on 2s with the grim prop and see how that runs. I have had a lot of fun messing around with this boat. Its held up well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZwxMMSfCK8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12