Thread: rio ep esc dead !!

Default rio ep esc dead !!

HI! anybudby no if this turnigy esc will work on stock rio ep ?
    part-tgy-30a hobby king. no reverse but cheap,

Get a Traxxas xl-5. Its 60amps and works great, have run mine at least 40 times with no issues at all. Put a S-600 motor in it too if you want to stay brushed.

I bit the bullet and installed a traxxas VXL-3s. Could have bought another complete boat for the price but a burn out on mine on the second run caused me to kinda over fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by dtacmed View Post
    I bit the bullet and installed a traxxas VXL-3s. Could have bought another complete boat for the price but a burn out on mine on the second run caused me to kinda over fix it.
    How does it go with that setup?

It does great I also went with a 600 motor. It does not even get warm. Also if I upgrade to a brushless set-up with lipos it can handle that also.

Lightbulb esc dead

thumbup1:thanks!! for input. what kind of run time on stock motor and xl-5 esc ?
    thinking to go brushless,i like hyrulejedi86 set up not shore on his run times,
    looking to run longer than 7min !
    not shore on batterys nicd or nimh or lipo and charger
    new to this!
    Last edited by lenny; 09-28-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    thumbup1:thanks!! for input. what kind of run time on stock motor and xl-5 esc ?
    thinking to go brushless,i like hyrulejedi86 set up not shore on his run times,
    looking to run longer 7min !
    not shore on batterys nicd or nimh or lipo and charger
    new to this!
    I have run mine with the stock motor\xl5 for 7 to 12 minutes on 6 cell 5000mah and 5 to 7 with 7 cell 3000mah.

Wink

thanks for all the info !

Hi all as some of you may know im doin up my rio and cause of the fear of the stock esc fryin i want to replace it.

So i noticed this thread and esc solutions and i wanted to ask a question about using the traxxas xl5 esc do you tunnelvision use the land or marine version.

I was after the xl10 marine but cant find it in aus so ill try n find the xl5 i would prefer marine as its already watercooled but if the xl5 or xl10 land will work fine without watercooling and a s600 it will save me alot of headaches tryin to find a marine version.

Hello Shannon.

I use the xl-5 waterproof version out of the rc cars. Excellent esc for the Rio if you plan on staying brushed. With the s600 my temps stayed cool whether on 2s lipo, 6 cell or 7 cell nimh.
    Last edited by tunnelvision; 10-20-2010 at 08:31 PM.

hello,tunnel vision i cant seem to find any marine versions in aus exept for the evx-2 but at around $180 aus dollars its a little bit pricey but if the xl-5 works well with the motor then ill probably go that route will it still work good with a T-600 as that one is easier to get and i can get one quite easily even though the xl5 is still $100.

It would leave a spare 80 dollars instead of buying the evx-2 for the sake of it being watercooled i just thought it would be more relaible due to the watercooling keeping the temps down.

Also do you have any other suggestions for a good brushed motor thats 550 size and will fit in the stock coupler and would a graupner speed 600 fit that bill.

T-600 or the Graupner would work fine with an xl-5. With this setup you would not need a watercooled esc, just need a waterproof one. The xl-5 is great, pro boat 30amp brushed esc is also a great choice for this boat. I have a brand new pro boat 30amp esc, if you are interested just send me a PM.

Hi tunnelvision thanks for the help ill go the t-600 as it can go in the stock coupler as it has a flat spot in the shaft and i will go the xl-5 waterproof as it is real easy to get a hold of anyways it wont be until next year once i pay off my gas hydro anyways is there also any othr 550 size motors that would be good to use