Thread: RIO Rescue Boat

Default RIO Rescue Boat

I get a lot of questions and PM's about the RIO Rescue boat I have So I thought I would list some pics for those who want to build a similar set-up. If you never seen the vid check it out in my signature. I currently use both a Apache 24 and the Rio Ep. The apache handles a lot better with the steerable outdrive. and I use the same rig for both boats. The are attached to the boat with bungi cables

Apache: I use a Traxxas xl-5 esc with stock motor, prop and servo with a 6cell nimh.

Rio: I use the same xl-5 esc with the stock motor and prop with a upgraded servo and a 7cell hump pack (7cell stick will not work). I also attached a few grams of weight to the back of the boat under the lip on the outside of the boat to help keep the prop under and to get it to bite better. In the vid you can hear the prop kinda catching air so the weight helped a lot.

*I would not use the stock esc on either boat ESPECIALLY NOT THE STOCK RIO ESC. Putting big loads on the motor is not the best but stock motors on either boat are very very cheap. The xl-5 I do not water cool only the motor is water cooled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

thanks for the details man, goin to build one this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by yogi View Post
    thanks for the details man, goin to build one this weekend
    well i hope it works out for ya. The middle "+" fitting is really important, it stops the forks and rescue boat from attemping to ride over top of the downed boat.
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 07-30-2010 at 04:52 PM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

that's awesome! thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by medina619 View Post
    that's awesome! thanks for sharing!
    Thanks for the comment and to OSE!
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Hi Diesel and thanks....you confirmed what I thought....I have and Aquacraft SV 27 nitro and a Miss Vegas...... and both boats sometimes stall in the water....and I also have a Traxxas Blast....with the electronics from a Slash...the Titan motor and the ESC. I also have the metal prop upgrade........ I raced my Blast against my cousin's Rio EP....and got beat pretty badly...so I wanted to convert my Blast to a retrieval boat. I did use my Blast to help retrieve his MVD and the steerable outdrive really shines for this purpose. My Blast...combined with your rescue gear will be invaluable when I need to retrieve one of my nitro boats.....alot better than breaking out my fishing rod and tennis ball.

NICELY DONE!!!!!

I am new to this forum....and OSE has been a GREAT friend in getting parts......THEY ROCK!!!!!

Good Job!
    That looks pretty handy. I need to make one. But first i need another boat for the rescue craft
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Said screw it and just bought one from tower. Now i'll have a nice rescue boat.

thanks for the idea diesel.
    Heres what i came up with. mine just fits snug in there and wont slide around. It has one small hoop to catch the nose of the rio along with larger flotation that wont allow it to move any more forward when pushing. and it cant back out, the rudders dont touch the end. i also have a larger hoop in front of the forks to keep anything i catch from coming over onto the rio. I have also sprayed great stuff expanding foam inside it in the front forks and tubes. to water proof it. because i didnt cement the forks on they are held with a screw so they can be taken off to make it easier to transport. everything else is cemented together tho.
    Last edited by JPriami; 02-17-2011 at 01:16 AM.

Wow looks good man, just be aware of the ESC problems with the rio, the added load will probably be too much for it I just bought a losi, lipo ready one off eBay (out of the losi strike I think) for $15 after mine smoked, good luck man

thats a good buy. heck yeah!

tested it today.

Looks good man. Hopefully it works out really well for you. Like mentioned that esc is terrible. I run the xl5, I upgraded that servo too, she can strip gears really easy. I made my forks flexable, sometimes it helps when I don't get a clean snag. In the rio video you can see a clean snag, but in the apache video you can see how the forks moved and still made the snag. When the boats kinda far out it throws my depth perception all off so I need all the help I can get lol...

Here's both my rigs:
    RIO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcU5gscReK0
    Apache: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pe_zJxAjbw
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

that looks like a great way to rescue boats

That is a cool idea for the pond ware I am not able to use the row boat. I just happen to have a lot of ABS pipe laying around. a lot easer to build than the barge.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

what diameter is the tubing you used

1/2 in is what usually is used with pipe insulation wrap
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

thanks

Default RIO Rescue Boat

Hi all some of you probably read that i was going to use a nqd jet boat as it is unique but it just seems like a hell of a task to modify u have to cut a hole in the top prob with a dremel which i dont have and replace all the electronics.

So after some thought i wondered what would be a good cheap rescue boat id like to go a catamaran i was thinking one of those ripmax magic cats or sea rider cat as they have watercooled motors and escs.

And the difference between the two is the sea rider has a 10 amp esc and 370 motor and is larger while the ripmax has a 5 amp esc and 180 motor so id prob go the sea rider.

I was thinking the reef racer as it is self righting but weighing in at 150 aus dollars plus without shipping it isnt as cheap as i would like it is only 70 dollars cheaper than my rio lol so it defeats the purpose.

Thats why i was going to go the sea rider at only 60 dollars and is complete with esc and good size motor and is water cooled so no mucking around.

diesel i need pics of where u put the xl5 in your rio ep....my xl5 is huge compared to stock one did u take the heat sink off? cant fit into the radio box without major reconstruction.....i was thinking of putting it on floor between motor and battery...all the wires fit there but should i elevate it some or what ...it says waterproof but i never trust traaxes lol

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    diesel i need pics of where u put the xl5 in your rio ep....my xl5 is huge compared to stock one did u take the heat sink off? cant fit into the radio box without major reconstruction.....i was thinking of putting it on floor between motor and battery...all the wires fit there but should i elevate it some or what ...it says waterproof but i never trust traaxes lol
    Here ya go Ron... I actually left the stock esc installed. There is aTitan 12t installed now, but I was using the stock motor and prop when I made it a rescue boat. I am currently using a apache 24 with the xl5 and a hpi saturn 35t on 6cell nimh
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

thanks man...that is basically what i thought id do with it as it wont fit anywhere else lol

i think i will use this P O S spartan hull and make 1 of these babies lol

any pics of the apache set up? I am trying the exact same thing only with a traxxas evx2 and 775 motor

Quote Originally Posted by notaclue View Post
    any pics of the apache set up? I am trying the exact same thing only with a traxxas evx2 and 775 motor
    It looks similar to the Rio inside and the pvc rig attaches the same way. I'm using a Traxxas XL5 and a HPI Saturn 35T motor. I don't have any pics, but can snap one if you really need it when I get home.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I just put in a traxxas evx2 and a titan 775, hope it still floats! just need to know the best way to hook up the pipe for the frame