Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shockwave prop

Proboat has a stainless one that is the stock size ands its only $10

Found the stainless prop at lhs. Ran it today with no problems. Even upgraded esc for 3s lipo.... FAST.... and even in Louisiana heat, 120 degrees on motor, 102 on esc.

Smile Shockwave 26 BL now has Metal Prop!

Down at my LHS today and they had a new SW26BL on display - it now comes with a stainless steel prop as standard, in the same size (1.34" x 2.06") as the plastic one. This is the PRB0154 mentioned in the previous post for $9.99 so I picked one up to try.

Just checked the Horizon Hobby website and on the SW26BL promo video a pop-up message now announces that the boat comes with a metal prop (because of the issue with plastic props breaking), confirming this.

they will send you one to

I got a PRB0154 and run my SW26BL with it.

For me, a beginner, the top speed and the handling seem to be almost the same as with Octura x435.

0154: 1.34" x 2.06"
    x435: 1.38" x 1.92"

cvlex
    Last edited by cvlex; 10-07-2010 at 03:28 AM.
    AQ Mini Rio (BL upgraded), Reef Racer 2(BL upgraded), PB Impulse 31, Miss Geico 29BL w. OSE upgrade flex cable and x642, ShockWave 26BL w. JETI Advance 50 Navy and x435, Tenshock Mini Eco, Starship (AKA Mini-Y)

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
    Down at my LHS today and they had a new SW26BL on display - it now comes with a stainless steel prop as standard, in the same size (1.34" x 2.06") as the plastic one. This is the PRB0154 mentioned in the previous post for $9.99 so I picked one up to try.

Just checked the Horizon Hobby website and on the SW26BL promo video a pop-up message now announces that the boat comes with a metal prop (because of the issue with plastic props breaking), confirming this.
    If you got to the proboat website, select the shockwave 26BL model, then click the support tab, there is a form you can email to get a free replacement metal prop. Received mine a couple days ago, after blowing through both plastic ones included in the box.

Newbie to RC boats: I greased the shaft last night on the Shockwave 26BL, and now the set screw that holds the shaft to the motor coupler keeps unscrewing causing the prop to slip (set screw was on the flat portion of the shaft). Had to retreive the boat twice now after the first 1 minute of operation. Is this common and what do you do to prevent this from happening again? Very fustrating.

I see the shaft on the Miss Giego is completely different and is sort of a locking nut on the flex shaft. Can the 26BL be upgraded to a flex shaft and locking nut configuration? Thanks in advance.

Default Propshaft Coupler Screw Locking

Before changing the driveshaft etc, try cleaning the grease off the screw and coupler thread (tissue + cocktail stick?) and putting a drop of threadlock on the setscrew in the coupler.

If you go to a good hardware store or auto parts store you will find some different choices (they are colour-coded)
    - Purple is "light strength" for small screws and should be OK for this (up to 6-8mm thread I think).
    - Blue is "medium strength" and may be more common, but harder to get off in future!

Quote Originally Posted by Svenster View Post
    If you got to the proboat website, select the shockwave 26BL model, then click the support tab, there is a form you can email to get a free replacement metal prop. Received mine a couple days ago, after blowing through both plastic ones included in the box.

Newbie to RC boats: I greased the shaft last night on the Shockwave 26BL, and now the set screw that holds the shaft to the motor coupler keeps unscrewing causing the prop to slip (set screw was on the flat portion of the shaft). Had to retreive the boat twice now after the first 1 minute of operation. Is this common and what do you do to prevent this from happening again? Very fustrating.

I see the shaft on the Miss Giego is completely different and is sort of a locking nut on the flex shaft. Can the 26BL be upgraded to a flex shaft and locking nut configuration? Thanks in advance.
    Hi that's what i did i e-mailed and they e-mailed back in a few min and said they are processing it.

on the coupler make sure you are screwing the set screw on the flat ground spot on the motor shaft... also you can put a very small dab of paint or thread lock on the grub screw this will stop it from getting loose.
    :p What go faster that's what I like to do!
    Custom RC radio steering grips
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Thanks Yellowbird and SweetZ28 for the info. I didn't think of using thread lock. I've seen the blue thread lock in hardware stores. If the blue is all I can find, how difficult is it to remove as it seems you should grease the shaft every 2-3 hours per the manual. Do you just heat it up with a sodering iron to losen the hold?

Quote Originally Posted by Svenster View Post
    Thanks Yellowbird and SweetZ28 for the info. I didn't think of using thread lock. I've seen the blue thread lock in hardware stores. If the blue is all I can find, how difficult is it to remove as it seems you should grease the shaft every 2-3 hours per the manual. Do you just heat it up with a sodering iron to losen the hold?
    Yes heat will make it easy to take off ... you only need a tiny bit on the grub screw... i like using tamiya thread lock as it holds good but is much more easy to remove parts with it on.

you can also tighten the screw up with nothing on it and use some nail polish and put a bead around the outside top edge of the grub screw making sure its on the outter edge of the grub screw and contacting the coupler where the grub screw threads in this will hold it from unscrewing ... but will make it easy to remove and re do it again for disasembly all the time.
    :p What go faster that's what I like to do!
    Custom RC radio steering grips
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Default Shockwave Coupling Alignment

It can be difficult to see where the flat is to re-attach the prop shaft to the motor coupler after greasing (only a small gap to the stuffing tube) so it helps if you look at the universal joint at the other end of the propshaft to get everything lined up: the flats on the prop shaft should be in the same place at each end, so the three grubscrews (1 in the UJ and 2 in the motor coupler) should all line up when everything is in place (i.e. turn the UJ/prop so that all 3 screws point upwards at the same time and then tighted up the grubscrews).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12