Thread: Super Vee 27 NiMH Battery Explodes

Default Super Vee 27 NiMH Battery Explodes

Super Vee 27 - I just bought a used SV27 with nimh 7.4 batteries. On the first run the boat ran great but upon reducing the throttle and pointing the boat towards the shore one of the batteries exploded taking off the canopy, and putting the receiver in the water. Anyone ever heard of this? Can you suggest a reason?

It happens;

What were the brand of batteries? Many of the cheaper brands will not handle the current draws.

The receiver will dry out and should be fine.

I'm not suprised, I ran good quality nimh on the sv for a while, and they always came back super-hot. I can see how this might happen with a lower quality battery. This is a great time to switch over to lipo!!

Thanks - Being new to RC boating, what size, brand, and type of Lipos should I buy? What else will I need to convert? I have heard about balancing, and something to keep Lipos from going below a certain voltage.

You would be looking for a pair of 4-5000mah 2s lipos. Something from hobbyking. A decent quality charger with balancing capability. And the supervee esc needs a lipo cutoff wired into the esc. Lots of info here on the supervee if you have the time to search. You will see a huge performance gain from switching over to lithium polimer.

And I have this charger. It is awesome! There are cheaper ones if you wanna shop around. http://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-EOS-0.../dp/B0036BG9JG