Thread: Super Vee 27 NiMH Batter Explodes

Default Super Vee 27 NiMH Batter Explodes

Super Vee 27 - I just bought a used SV27 with nimh 7.4 batteries. On the first run the boat ran great but upon reducing the throttle and pointing the boat towards the shore one of the batteries exploded taking off the canopy, and putting the receiver in the water. Anyone ever heard of this? Can you suggest a reason?

Wow

Catch it on video next time
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast
    ToySport Triton- Not as fast

Don't think I want to see it again. It is very exciting not to mention expensive.

NiMH batteries don't do amps very well, especially if they're older cells that are worn out. People say lipos are dangerous but any battery (even the battery in your car) will explode if you push them too far. If you can't afford to run lipos in it then a pair of GOOD NiMHs will be just fine until you can go lipo.

Also if you just pulled them off the charger and stuck them in the boat while their smoking hot from the charge the extra heat generated during running could have pushed them to their limit. Now is a good time to switch to lipo...
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Thanks so much for all of your help. New bees can learn allot from these forums.

What brand where the nimhs? I had a set of venom nimhs (shotgun configuration) that vented after just 1 run...

I have 2 sets of proboat nimhs that work great, even after spending a bit of time underwater...

Chief

It happened to me with my very first SV about 4 years ago , same thing blew my taped hatch about 10 feet in the air & crack all the hull & that was with good Intellect batteries , they jusy couldnt handle the constant AMP draw... My cheap nimhs melted the rappers off the cells in a few minutes .

I went to LIPOS & have never looked back ... the only nimhs i use now are for my recivers !!!!
    UL1- 1515 castle/neu / 240 swordfish
    SV27- with UL1 running gear
    33 Delta Force - 1521-1.5D/Neu/ 240 swordfish/4S2P

Thanks, I have also ordered several sets of Lipos. Seems the more I read the more I learn about the limitations and use of all batteries. Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Hadawayj View Post
    Thanks, I have also ordered several sets of Lipos. Seems the more I read the more I learn about the limitations and use of all batteries. Jesse
    Just make sure you order 25c + lipo packs , 4000-5000 mah for good run time & you will need a lipo shield with the SV to run lipos ,here is a link ... wait & see the preformance difference with lipos , you will be rapped !!!!

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...hld-32&cat=136

Jason...
    UL1- 1515 castle/neu / 240 swordfish
    SV27- with UL1 running gear
    33 Delta Force - 1521-1.5D/Neu/ 240 swordfish/4S2P

Happens a lot to cheap NIMH cells that are put together with small wire and very thin welded tabs. Add amps and you have problame
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Hadawayj View Post
    Super Vee 27 - I just bought a used SV27 with nimh 7.4 batteries. On the first run the boat ran great but upon reducing the throttle and pointing the boat towards the shore one of the batteries exploded taking off the canopy, and putting the receiver in the water. Anyone ever heard of this? Can you suggest a reason?
    I have seen this happen to nimh cells in an old brushed 700 powered hydro, it blew the hatch in the air and split the seems on the hull, we were told that when the cells vented they released hydrogen, combined with the arc between the commutator and brushes = but since your running brushless probably just high internal cell temps. how long was your run time?