Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got a good speed but need some more

The Grimracer and ABC 3 blade props a very hard the sharpen correctly. They come pretty dull right out of the packaging and needs lots of attention to get them sharp. A couple of simple props that will get to the majic 50 mark are the Octura x642 and the m445, but drive wisely... no stop and go driving. Once boat jumps on plane keep it there until you come in. The new version UL-1 esc with larger cap is a VERY good esc and will not fail if used wisely. Also change out those cheap motor connectors for the beafier 5mm bullets if you don't want to be stranded on the pond.
    Last edited by detox; 08-23-2010 at 06:00 PM.

I actually have a plastic version of those props! I could try them out just to see how it works before I actually buy them.
    I understand about staying on plane but are these props safe to run for a good 5-8 minutes, or 6 laps and not ruin the ESC?

My ESC is the one with the larger caps.

Plastic version? I do not think these are exactly the same, but you can try.

5-8 minutes is a long time. What capacity batteries are you using? Even 5000mah packs will not last 5 minutes.

ESC will be OK if you change out motor connectors.

well, the plastic props are the same pitch and diameter but I would imagine their not made exactly the same but those stats are the same.

I have 40C 4Ah, 30C 5.8Ah and 25C 6Ah all 2s Lipos.

Ok, I tried to hand launch the UL-1 today with the 40x57 prop and the same as always happens, it didn't get on plane with that either.

This really has be baffeled as to why I just can't get the boat on plane with that prop.

Lower the strut deeper in the water 1 1/8" and make sure prop is sharp. Make sure collet is tight.

Alright, a solid number. I'll try that next time I am able to go out.

Quote Originally Posted by hyrulejedi86 View Post
    Ok, I tried to hand launch the UL-1 today with the 40x57 prop and the same as always happens, it didn't get on plane with that either.

This really has be baffeled as to why I just can't get the boat on plane with that prop.
    I think the boat is telling you that it doesn't like that prop. The 40X57/3 is a tough prop to get working correctly. The rake and pitch on that prop is really aggressive and is VERY difficult to get set up correctly. I think the boat is telling you that it doesn't like that prop.

Just my $.02

Later

Ball

OK well I know that you have been trying different strut heights but what about the angle?
    and is that prop S&B? Have you tried to move the CG back a little? Is there a GPS in the boat?
    Post some photos so we can help. What do you use as a setup board?
    Dropping the strut deeper will only cause the front of the boat down more. Have you tried to go back to the stock strut depth and run that prop?
    2 SV 27's and Vac-U-Pickle UL-1 Power

Quote Originally Posted by wizard122 View Post
    OK well I know that you have been trying different strut heights but what about the angle?
    Both of my UL1's had an issue with being able to change the strut angle adjustment. The stuffing tube was not bent correctly to allow anything but a lifting angle (nut down). I had to anneal the brass tubing to make it soft and then I could bend it where it was required. Your strut should start off neutral or flat to the ride attitude. Then later you can add or subtract to the angle to get it perfect.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Well, today was a very productive test day for the UL-1. I went out to my local club running pond with the others today and got to try lots of different setups.

I tried the grim 40x57, stock prop, 45mm x1.4 two blade , a 40x1.6 three blade, the 38x56 lifter prop and all kinds of different strut heights.

I got the grim 40x57 to finally get on plane by dropping the strut and figured out how to put a negative strut angle on it. But unfortunatly it only maxed at 44mph.

Eventually, I ran out of batteries and had to come in but I got lots of good testing and even though I never got to 50 I did get alot figured out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12